DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

He's a black coated man, a black coated man.

Was just listening to the prolouge of tGS and noticed something. The guy who came to Greandhal's palace could of been a ashaman/dedicated/soldier. It was his description a man in black. I know Moridin could of wove the travelling weave but I think it was the man in black and he is an Ashaman of some sort.

Two reason-

1. Why would Moridin leave the room after his weaving just to come back in a minute? The gateway had to made from inside the meeting room. Also why not just summone her himself if he made the weave? He didn't weave the gateway the black coated messenger did and came through and summoned Greandal on Moridins behalf as its possible Moridin has resorted to lackies because of the sickness he feeling due to Rand and also he's really really busy. I know he could of used the true power but isn't tavelling different with the true power and greandal didn't comment on the use of the true power if this true? Now that last bit I'm not sure about.

2. I don't think the man is just a servant as later a servant comes in dressed in red not black. Now I could be wrong and this is just Moridin's obession to his red and black colour scheme but I don't think so.

Sorry three reasons-

3. Also the man is muscled and lithe as described by Grendal. Now that doesn't sound like a servant as a servant normally wouldn't be overly muscled due to their work. It sounds like someone who has been training with a sword. Rand, Galad, lan and Gawayn have been described simmilarly. Who has training in sword play, can channel and knows gateways and wears black?

Sorry. Four reason why he is an Ashaman

4. Greandhal described him as an messanger every time. Never once referred to him as a servant but the guy in red was desribed thusly. Okay maybe she is describing them by their duties or not.

So what do you guys think? I know there was some discussion earlier about this guy but hey better late than never, eh? Also I haven't had anything close to a theory, a thought out theory in ages. So I felt I owed it to your eyes for reading some of the crap I post.

:D Finally a legit theory, its got Luckers seal of approval. That was a seal was it not? Now I'm just waiting for Mr Ares to crop up with 'Your wrong.'.

I am quite convinced Mr Ares would crop up with 'You're wrong', as he knows I would pester him for the rest of his life if he violated basic grammar like that ;D

Or possibly 'You are wrong', if he dislikes using contractions the way I do... ;D

I think it is very possible that he is an Asha'man.

I have a guess at who he might be (if he is an Asha'man) as well.

This is Graendal's description of him:

The youth stood still, just steps into the room.  And my, he was attractive!  Pale golden hair as was so rare in many parts of the world, green eyes that shimmered like moss-grown pools, a lithe figure taut with just enough muscle.

[The Gathering Storm - What the Storm Means: Graendal's POV]

And here is a description of an Asha'man we've been introduced to before:

A tall, golden-haired man standing near the dais sneered at her [Pevara].  "Why should we allow Aes Sedai to take any m---"  Something unseen struck the side of his head so hard that his feet left the floor tiles before he fell in a heap, eyes closed and blood trickling from his nostrils.

[Knife of Dreams - Remember the Old Saying: Pevara's POV]

This Asha'man's name is Atal Mishraile.  He was punished by Taim because he almost let out in front of Pevara, who had come with the other Red Aes Sedai to bond Asha'man, that the rebel Aes Sedai had already bonded men.

Taim says, "If Mishraile survives till nightfall, he'll be Healed.  Perhaps the pain will teach him to guard his tongue."

Maybe he survived, but Taim decided that the pain wasn't enough to "teach him," so he sent him off to do some hard labor in the blight at Moridin's pleasure?

I know the only feature that matches is "golden hair," but I would assert that the use of the words "tall" and "lithe" are rather subjective in themselves.  Also, someone with a lithe, or slim, build will often seem a little taller than they actually are at a distance.  And vice versa, greater height can sometimes add to a sense of slimness.

Anyway, if the messenger sent to Graendal was an Asha'man, I think it may have been Atal Mishraile.  I think the timeline works out, too.  There should have been about 2 weeks between the arrival of Pevara at the Black Tower and the meeting with Graendal, right?

Good call in Mishraile Paerish--though that does raise the question of why would Taim send his idiot henchman to serve Moridin? Why not one of the more capable ones.

:D Finally a legit theory, its got Luckers seal of approval. That was a seal was it not? Now I'm just waiting for Mr Ares to crop up with 'Your wrong.'.

It probably was a seal of approval.

;D

Good call in Mishraile Paerish--though that does raise the question of why would Taim send his idiot henchman to serve Moridin? Why not one of the more capable ones.

Thanks.

I don't really have a good answer for that.

My best guess is that it was to get him out of his hair and to punish him further.  I have to imagine that being an Asha'man at the Black Tower is a little more comfy a gig than being the Nae'blis' personal . . . umm . . . lackey.  (I was obviously thinking of another word that begins with "b," but I don't wish to offend.  :-\)

I would also imagine that if Moridin wanted access to any number of male channelers that all he need do is issue the command - for any reason at all, and for any purpose.  But to be demoted to a personal message boy, or footman, or something like that might be reserved for those who are deemed to be no good for anything more.

Like an idiot who needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

Maybe?

That's the best I can come up with right now.

He wants to keep the capable ones for himself? That is what I would do.

Indeed, I also mentioned I thought that this AM was Misraile a while ago on the "What's going down at the Black Tower" thread (I think anyway)

So I agree with you.

As to how he survived, Taim said if  he survived the night he would get healed (or was this with Torval in the earlier book) In any case i think it would be the same.

And since when was he an idiot? I mean, yeah, he was loose with his tounge, but that doesnt make him a fool.

In any case, even if he is, the Shadow llike fools, harder for them to betray you, and, again in any case, a messenger doesnt exactly need to be the next Aginor to do it

Just a thought about the man in Graendal's POV in tGS prologue, if he indeed was an AM, could it not be Mishraile? the description fits and he is one of Taim's cronies.

Muhahahha, I claim the theory to be mine originally  ;D

Beat to the punch once again!

Next time . . . yes, next time the glory will - be - MINE! 

;)

(Yes one more time a joke about your pseudo)

Don't become jealous of Paerish Swar, for his own sake!

I thought it was Mishraille that was punished both times... if so it could be further punishment. But I don't see Taim sending him to Moridin. So it must be Moridin requisitioning some Asha'man for his purposes. Which of course includes messages. But remember that Moridin is gathering the DO's forces of the Blight. There are Myrrdraals and Trollocs and Dragkhar and many other shadowspawns. In the trollocs wars there were Dreadlords controllng those forces. He could be recruiting new dreadlords to lead them out of the blight...

(Yes one more time a joke about your pseudo)

Don't become jealous of Paerish Swar, for his own sake!

I thought it was Mishraille that was punished both times... if so it could be further punishment. But I don't see Taim sending him to Moridin. So it must be Moridin requisitioning some Asha'man for his purposes. Which of course includes messages. But remember that Moridin is gathering the DO's forces of the Blight. There are Myrrdraals and Trollocs and Dragkhar and many other shadowspawns. In the trollocs wars there were Dreadlords controllng those forces. He could be recruiting new dreadlords to lead them out of the blight...

Haha, this time "barid bel medar" got to it first, not second. (see date from original post of this theory) so the jealously would be the other way round this time haha ;D

IN any case, its possible, just because they have black coats, doesnt mean anything conclusive, but as for recruiting new dreadlords, im pretty sure the definition of Dreadlord would be the Dark Ashaman anyway...

Well, I didn't expect that!  ;)

I know the only feature that matches is "golden hair," but I would assert that the use of the words "tall" and "lithe" are rather subjective in themselves.

True, especially when it's Graendal the aesthete versus Pevara the Red.

Well, I didn't expect that!  ;)

Nobody does.

Good call on the catching of who the ashaman might be. I would like to see a fight to the death for right to claim it as their own. YOU MAY BEGIN.

As to why he's working for Moridin now. It could be as simple as Taim pawning off his dunces or maybe Taim doesn't know he's going to Moridin. What with Taim not being part of the shadow.

Seriously though if the guy is a black coated ashaman, its looking mora nad more likely that Taim is without a doubt a darkfriend.

Seriously though if the guy is a black coated ashaman, its looking mora nad more likely that Taim is without a doubt a darkfriend.

I actually think this is a given seeing as he quoted the DO's message to the Forsaken.

I think hes probably just one of Moridins black clad guards as seen in TGS where the forsaken have a meeting in the far north eastern blight

I think people are also suggesting that they are also Ashaman

I actually think this is a given seeing as he quoted the DO's message to the Forsaken.

while this is likely, its still not a given, although it does seem that way, there is a possibility that the words are not from him being a DF (although, coupled with other evidence, he certainly is)

ON the subject of Taim and Pevera and co.

Does anyone think Taim has changed a crapload from LoC?

Pevera's description of him makes him look difinitivly evil and even a touch mad, with his aguer eyes etc..

When we meet him, he is arrogant and such, but i wouldnt say he "looked" evil, as he does now.

Significant( 13x13) or just Pervera being a Red and AS/Woman?

i think if anyone has been turns its Taim. Although your probably right in what you said about Pervara being red and all. She might be a likely Red but I'm sure the Red leanings and philosophy tints her thinking on Taim and other male channelers despite her thoughts on them being red warders.

We really haven't seen too much of Taim since LoC, have we? Its just he shrouded in such mystery. Very little screen time, no pov from him and most information about him is coming from secondary sources. I guess that's why he generates such discussions.

I have to say the black tower conclusion is one of the things I'm most eager to read about. Any of the permutations on this site coming through would be satisfactory and I'm sure there will be a slight twist.

Come on November man! There will be no work, college, family, friends or girlfriend for that week.

Archived