DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min's viewing on Beldeine

Well, let me try and explain myself.

Random was theorizing that the Arcs pull the user to a Dream of his/her own making in tel'aran'rhiod. I objected on the grounds that the testings included people whom we know, and they obviously weren't part of the testings themselves. I later conceded that it may be possible for those images to be created in tel'aran'rhiod, though as I've mentioned, I'm still not convinced that that is indeed how the Arcs operate.

Do not forget that Egwene did not know Beldeine before the testing and Nynaeve did not know Sharina was even a name, much less an Aes Sedai. That heavily implies some sort of mirror world use but the fact that the mind can alter its surroundings implies the use of T'A'R. That's why I'm willing to drop the whole Arches part of the Black Ajah severing Beldeine in my post, I haven't a clue what the Arches do.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, let me try and explain myself.

Random was theorizing that the Arcs pull the user to a Dream of his/her own making in tel'aran'rhiod. I objected on the grounds that the testings included people whom we know, and they obviously weren't part of the testings themselves. I later conceded that it may be possible for those images to be created in tel'aran'rhiod, though as I've mentioned, I'm still not convinced that that is indeed how the Arcs operate.

Do not forget that Egwene did not know Beldeine before the testing and Nynaeve did not know Sharina was even a name, much less an Aes Sedai. That heavily implies some sort of mirror world use but the fact that the mind can alter its surroundings implies the use of T'A'R. That's why I'm willing to drop the whole Arches part of the Black Ajah severing Beldeine in my post, I haven't a clue what the Arches do.

There's a simple explanation for "true information" to come through in Egwene and Nynaeve's self-constructed dreams in the Arches: both have some strength in precognition. Egwene is a very powerful Dreamer and Nynaeve has vague feelings from listening to the wind (such as her "storm coming" remarks). The true information Egwene learned during the testing was much more thorough than Nynaeve's info, attesting to Egwene's superior precognitive abilities. This could mean that the real people seen by them during the Arches testing may actually factor into the plot in important ways later on. The Black Ajah may indeed use the 13/13 trick on Beldeine, or sever Beldeine, or something, which has significance in the future.

I'm not saying that we should dismiss any true information Egwene and Nynaeve learned in the Arches as nonsense. In fact, if the Arches work as they appear to -- by putting someone into their own nightmare in T'A'R, whatever true information channelers with precognitive abilities learned should be viewed as a glimpse of the future of the Pattern. The actual things that happen during the testing are only figments of the imagination, but Egwene and Nynaeve may very well have gotten echoes of things to come. Unfortunately, those are the only two testings we know anything about.

• 2 months later...

TGS ch48, pg 745

"the black knife that spun around Beldeine's head recently could mean anything".

Seems like a trip to the WT and a run in with a blood knife is in store for her. Or perhaps a she'll be the victim of a gray man.

Wasn't there a dull black knife/blade found in EbouDar with bowl of winds? The one that Aviendha thought would conceal whoever was holding it? Could this be the black knife that Min saw?

Also, there are some similarities between what Egwene experienced in her Accepted test and the possible lives Rand saw when he used the Portal Stone: "Egwene married him; Egwene, stern-faced in the stole of the Amyrlin Seat, lead the Aes Sedai that gentled him; Egwene, with tears in her eyes, plunged a dagger into his heart, and he thanked her as he died." (TGH 37, What Might Be)

Aviendha might be able to figure out exactly what the ter'angreal does, but I have a feeling RJ never intended it to be fully explained.

Hi all.

I DO think Beldiene will be Egwene's Keeper. I believe that the bloodknives will kill Silviana, and Egwene will be left for a loss: she wont wish to appoint EITHER a former rebel or a former loyalist, so the job will go to Beldiene.

So, the black knife swirling about her head is relevant for her, as it enabled her to be promoted.

Sincerely, Wheel of Thyme

So the Seanchan know how to make ter'angreal?

Well, there's the a'dam... and the rings Bloodknives wear...

I think it's stated somewhere that the only ter'angreal they make are a'dam. The blood ter'angreal are leftovers from an earlier age. (Maybe they were creations of a Dark channeller or they're being misused).

Archived