DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Away From Home (Attn: Rashi/Visar)

Kathleen

OOC: Hope this is okay, i'm still kind of wonky from meds. to help me sleep.

IC:

Rasheta was listening to the story of Kathleen’s capture and she had to admit the girl was brave. Kathleen talked of the fight with the whitecloaks and Rasheta felt a pang of guilt for not being there but Kathleen had done as any Aes Sedai would and had tried to save Adrian. She was surprised when Kathleen said

“I understand if you need to punish me for this unauthorized use of Sadair, but I wasn't about to stand by let Adrian or myself by killed when I knew I could do something to help.”

Rasheta wasn’t going to punish the girl for doing what needed to be done; she was going to ask the Mistress of Novices not to either. Although she couldn’t imagine the woman would when Kathleen was simply doing what needed to be done. Rasheta opened her mouth to say that when Adrian appeared and started yelling about horses.

Rasheta turned her attention in the direction Adrian was running and embraced the power. “Stay back Kathleen you have done enough I’ll handle whatever comes.” As she said it Adrian started to laugh and told her that it was simply the reinforcements from the White Tower. She crossed her arms and used air to smack Adrian across the butt he flinched but still smiled. She was going to find a way to get him back for this. Scaring her half out of her mind and probably worrying Kathleen in the process.

Rasheta turned her attention to the two sisters and there warders with a small guard of the Tower Guard as well. She saw it was a Yellow and a Blue, and all in the party was ten people. The Blue, Rasheta didn’t remember her name was stronger in the power then the Yellow or Rasheta herself, got off her horse and walked toward her. “Ah Rasheta you have found Kathleen. Its good we found you.” Rasheta nodded to the other woman and answered.

“You are too late to be helpful, Kathleen was taken by the Whitecloaks and we went and saved her. We are just now returning her to the White Tower.” The other woman looked a bit shocked and Rasheta gave her a smile. “We will be thankful for you leading us back to the tower however, Adrian and I are tired, Kathleen is our responsibility though and we will deliver her to the Mistress of Novices.” The other sister shrugged and turned away, Rasheta knew that the women would probably report her to someone and it would get back to Jaydena that Rasheta had been rude to someone of stronger power then she was. Rasheta had never been in the tower long enough to cultivate the necessary observances of tradition plus Kathleen was her responsibility and she was leading this mission in effect so the other two would defer to her anyway wouldn’t they? She shook her head too late to worry now.

After several days ride and several arguments with the other two Aes Sedai about what to do with Kathleen on the way they all made it back to the White Tower. Kathleen had been trained by the other Aes Sedai and took lessons from Rasheta as well on the way but now that they were back it was time to take her to the Mistress of Novices. Rasheta told Adrian to meet her back in her quarters and then she took Kathleen to see the Mistress of Novices.

Rasheta explained what happened and asked for some leniency because it was not the girls fault. The Mistress of Novices listened and then dismissed Rasheta. “I’m sorry to ask but can I speak to the Accepted briefly before I leave.” The other Aes Sedai looked surprised and Rasheta smiled “I know its not proper protocol and I could just call her to my quarters later for a lesson but I’m not going to be here long.” She remembered she’d said that she was going to sleep for a week and she might, then she would be off again. The Mistress of Novices nodded and Rasheta turned to Kathleen ignoring the other woman’s presence.

“Child you proved yourself a highly capable woman and I wouldn’t be surprised if they allowed you to be raised soon.” She heard a disapproving noise from the other sister but she ignored her and continued. “You have earned my respect child, and if you were a fellow sister I would be allowed to be more eloquent, but as it is you will be worked harder now I think because of your adventure. You will be tested but you have since you were a Novice and I can see you don’t break easily. “ She paused and then leaned over so she could whisper to the girl. “If you choose Green or if you do not you will always be honored by me, you have saved the life of someone precious to me.” Rasheta did something totally unlike her and hugged Kathleen adding, “who knows maybe when you are raised we can become friends.” She straightened up and nodded to the Mistress of Novices, “good day sister I will take my leave now.” She turned away and hoped the poor girl would be all right but she had a warder to spend time with and he was going to be repaid for his prank some time ago.

When Kathleen finally finished rambling out her tale to Rasheta she could tell by the look on the Aes Sedai's face that she had not been thinking of punishment. The Green didn't let too much else show, but Kathleen knew the woman was most likely just relieved to have herself, her Warder and the girl she had rescued safe and in one piece. Kathleen was just as relieved. She was finally calming down and beginning to be comfortable in her own skin when the sound of hooves came thundering toward them. As Adrian ran off to see who it was Rasheta warned her to stay back. Kathleen didn't know what was happening, but she knew she couldn't stand idle if there was danger, but she knew to listen to the Aes Sedai so as soon as the words were out of her superior's mouth Kathleen darted for the few things they had taken out for the horses and started to quickly pack them back in and ready the horse to run.

When Adrian returned and started to laugh Kathleen didn't know what had gotten into the man. What could be so funny about another ambush? And then she saw the riders start to appear. A few of the Tower Guard, and two Aes Sedai. Kathleen steadied her breathing as she realized the she was no longer in danger, and as the party drew closer Kathleen dropped into a perfect curtsy for the approaching Aes Sedai, and then ran to their sides to help them down. Kathleen kept silent as the Aes Sedai spoke, but as soon as the Yellow and Blue were comfortable Kathleen curtsied and stepped back to Rasheta's side.

As Rasheta got on her horse to leave Kathleen approached Adrian. She had a feeling this would be the last chance she got and she knew she had thank him. "I know I have said it before, but I cannot say it enough. Thank you for all you have done for me. I know you will say you were just fulfilling your duty to the Tower and your Aes Sedai, but even so, thank you for doing that. I know there were many times when you couldn't possibly have been comfortable or pleased, and I wouldn't be surprised if the thought to leave me behind to keep Rasheta Sedai out of danger had more than crossed your mind; especially when you were wounded and I was held with the whitecloaks. Still, thank you for coming for me, and thank you for saving me. I will never forget it, and I will never forget you. You are a very honorable man, and your skill is something to be admired." Kathleen wished she had time to say more, but she knew she had to leave so she untied her horse, climbed up and began the ride home to the Tower.

They rode for a few days, and Kathleen fell back a little as the Aes Sedai spoke, she knew it was not of her concern and even though she wanted to hear what was being said, she knew that when Aes Sedai speak with out inviting you to the conversation, it is not for the ears of Accepted. This did give her time to enjoy the fresh air in her lungs and the wonderful view of trees. She had forgotten how much she had missed riding horses and strolling through forests. She realized how much of a different world it is out here than in the Tower, and how much she missed it. It would be nice to be home again, but she knew now that when she was raised she would be back out here with the wind in her hair and the galloping hooves of a horse under her. Every night when they stopped the Sisters would take turns teaching her whatever they thought she might need to know, or what she may have missed in the time she was gone.

When they arrived back at the White Tower it seemed to glisten like it had the day Kathleen first set her eyes on it. The first time she saw it she hadn't believed it was real. This time, it was a relief to see it. There were moments in the last few weeks where she had thought she would never see it again. The feeling of being home, and the feeling of safety radiated through her as she entered the doors and followed Rasheta to the Mistress of Novice's study.

When Rasheta had finishing speaking with the Mistress of Novices she took Kathleen by surprise as she asked to speak with her. "Child you proved yourself a highly capable woman and I wouldn’t be surprised if they allowed you to be raised soon." Kathleen hadn't thought that this would advance her raising, if anything she thought the time away from the Tower, missing all she had missed might delay it, but it was what the woman said next that really caught her by surprise and filled her heart. "You have earned my respect child, and if you were a fellow sister I would be allowed to be more eloquent, but as it is you will be worked harder now I think because of your adventure. You will be tested but you have since you were a Novice and I can see you don’t break easily. If you choose Green or if you do not you will always be honored by me, you have saved the life of someone precious to me." Then Rasheta hugged her and whispered "who knows maybe when you are raised we can become friends." Kathleen had never dreamed of the day that any Aes Sedai would say these words to her, and it seemed she must be dreaming now. All Kathleen could do was hug the woman back and as she held her tight and whispered, "It would be an honour to call you 'friend' and when I am raised I hope that we will be. No matter what the future holds for us, I will never forget all you have done for me, and you will always hold a place in my heart." As the hug ended Kathleen's voice raised back to her normal level as she said, "Thank you Rasheta Sedai for coming after me when I was taken, and thank you for standing by my side to see me safely back to the White Tower. Without your help, I would not be standing here today, ready and able to return to my studies. I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you and taken you away from your duties and other obligations for so long." Kathleen curtsied to the Green and as she left the room Kathleen turned to face the Mistress of Novices and waited for her decision on what would happen next.

Pia sat behind her large timber desk in her office, sighing she filed away the last of the papers she had just sorted and sat back in her seat. She picked up her fine Sea Folk porcelain tea cup, as usual her tea had gone cold so she channelled and brought the temperature back up to where she liked it. Sipping, she sighed again, and smiled to herself.

Standing, she smoothed her grey silk dress over her hips and moved to straighten up her desk. A place for everything, and everything in its place, her mother had always said. As she finished and sat again there was a sharp knock on the door.

“Come” she said, and the door opened to reveal Rasheta, a Green Sister, and Kathleen, the Accepted who had gone missing while visiting the city on a free day a little over a week ago.

Rasheta proceeded to explain the situation under which the Accepted had been kidnapped, rescued, kidnapped again and rescued again. Pia frowned slightly and shook her head in disbelief that Kathleen’s own brothers had caused this mess. Rasheta continued and asked that Pia treat Kathleen’s breach of the no channelling rule with leniency due to the situation.

When Rasheta finished speaking Pia replied, “Thank you Rasheta, you may go, I would speak to Kathleen alone now.”

“I’m sorry to ask but can I speak to the Accepted briefly before I leave. I know it’s not proper protocol and I could just call her to my quarters later for a lesson but I’m not going to be here long.”

Pia raised an eyebrow in surprise but nodded her assent to Rasheta.

“Child you proved yourself a highly capable woman and I wouldn’t be surprised if they allowed you to be raised soon.”

Hearing that Pia frowned and made a disapproving sound, it was not her place to decide that, much less tell an Accepted such things. “You have earned my respect child, and if you were a fellow sister I would be allowed to be more eloquent, but as it is you will be worked harder now I think because of your adventure. You will be tested but you have since you were a Novice and I can see you don’t break easily.”

Pia’s eyes narrowed as she watched Rasheta lean over and hug the Accepted; she whispered something to Kathleen in a voice far too low for Pia to hear. As she straightened back to standing Kathleen replied “Thank you Rasheta Sedai for coming after me when I was taken, and thank you for standing by my side to see me safely back to the White Tower. Without your help, I would not be standing here today, ready and able to return to my studies. I am sorry that I have inconvenienced you and taken you away from your duties and other obligations for so long.”

Kathleen curtsied as she finished speaking and Rasheta smiled at her. She turned and nodded thanks to Pia and said “Good day sister, I will take my leave now.”

As Rasheta finished speaking she turned and left pulling the large dark timber door firmly closed behind her.

Kathleen watched as Rasheta left and then turned to face Pia, her face showed the apprehension she was feeling. All Accepted were aware of the rules regarding the use of Saidar and technically Kathleen had broken them.

“Sit down child,” Pia told Kathleen and indicated the chair before her desk; Pia moved to the sideboard and poured a cup of tea for the girl. She set it in front of the brown haired girl and took her own chair again. “You have had quite the adventure haven’t you? I need to tell you that Rasheta Sedai was speaking out of turn when she said she thought you would be raised soon. That decision will be made based on the development we see here in the Tower, and you will be tested when we deem you are ready, and not before.”

Kathleen nodded a touch sullenly and Pia continued, “However, I will not punish you for using Saidar in defence of yourself or Rasheta’s Gaidin, Adrian. But understand Kathleen, the rules about channelling unsupervised stands. If I discover that you continue to do so, you will feel the full effects of my displeasure. Now child, you may return to your quarters, I will ask one of the Yellow Sisters to come to you to check that you are completely well and I suggest you have a quiet day of rest tomorrow, before resuming your studies the next day.” Pia smiled warmly at the exhausted girl seated before her, “You have done well child, now go and get cleaned up and rest.”

Kathleen curtsied to Pia and then Pia ushered her out of her office, reiterating the instructions to get some rest. She watched as Kathleen made her way out of the room and pushed the door closed behind her.

Pia Tovisen