DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Memory of Length

It will definetly have both. Why else would Rand need the Aiel, the Seanchan, all his other armies, Mats memories, Aes Sedai and Asha`man, etc etc. It is going to be an all out war, and while it wont neccessarily be a long war (probably a couple of months) it will definetly be a bloody war. And at some point, Rand, Mat and Perrin will need to confront the Dark One somehow and thats when there will be a metaphysicla battle of some sort.

Rand became a hardcore blademaster+channeler in months because of his Lews Therin Telamon memories. LTT was a blade master and hardcore channeler. Remember Rand isnt Rand al'Thor, he is just a meatsuit with a name that houses the soul of a dragon/champion that is reborn in each age to fight the shadow over and over. Thats why this time is different and he will kill the dark one this time forever and become just a man in future turnings, and thats why this 2-3 year period of this age of this turning is worth writing a 12+ book series about;it is THE last battle against the shadow and the dark one, the LAST.

I agree but it will be the LAST until the next time in like 4 or 5 ages from now remember there have been ages that there was no one who could channel and the people hunted with wolves. its always a circle I think the DO cant be killed

It's the Last Battle, not the War to End All Wars.

Even in the AOL, the Dark One wasn't free to completely enter the world was he? I imagine once Rand breaks the seals and he completely escapes his prison the urgency of the Last Battle will increase.

Verin told Egwene that Rand didn't seem to grasp the true nature of the fight with the Dark One. My theory is that while Darlin's armies, the Aeil, The Band of the Red Hand, Lan's army and Perrin's collection of troops and Two River's bowmen are busy with the trollocs and darkfriends, Rand will have his hands full with a the Lord of the Grave.

I'd expect a layer of conflict above the physical fighting, ala at Falme, though perhaps not in the sky in view of all. Once the seals are broken, I expect Rand will have to win fast or not at all.

It's the Last Battle, not the War to End All Wars.

Even in the AOL, the Dark One wasn't free to completely enter the world was he? I imagine once Rand breaks the seals and he completely escapes his prison the urgency of the Last Battle will increase.

Verin told Egwene that Rand didn't seem to grasp the true nature of the fight with the Dark One. My theory is that while Darlin's armies, the Aeil, The Band of the Red Hand, Lan's army and Perrin's collection of troops and Two River's bowmen are busy with the trollocs and darkfriends, Rand will have his hands full with a the Lord of the Grave.

I'd expect a layer of conflict above the physical fighting, ala at Falme, though perhaps not in the sky in view of all. Once the seals are broken, I expect Rand will have to win fast or not at all.

Breaking the Seals doesn't mean the Dark One is completely free, it just means the Bore is reopened again. It'd take quite some time for the DO to break free completely.

Breaking the Seals doesn't mean the Dark One is completely free, it just means the Bore is reopened again. It'd take quite some time for the DO to break free completely.

Actually, it probably would not take long at all, once the Seals are gone.  He was apparently close to doing it when Lews Therin made the assault on Shayol Ghul all those years ago, and the work he's been doing on the Seals, plus the taint leaking through onto saidin for 3000 years probably haven't helped any.  No, Rand better be ready to move when he breaks the last of the Seals: that will be go time.

Well so far the current war has lasted about 2-3 years, at least since the first open strikes (trollocs at two rivers).  But the first maneuverings have arguably been going on since the bore.

Well the DO didn't break free for 110 years while there was 0 patch on the bore before and during the war of power.  If he was actively trying to get through the hole even.  It's possible he can't force his way through the hole at all and needs things like: chaos, balefire, the taint, and people using the True power(true power is the evil power right? I always forget), to sort of be on both sides or break down the wall from this side.

Also, we've been given tons of direct musings from the forsaken, and tons factual circumstances, that indicate that the DO could care less about winning or losing the last battle, but that it actually has to do something with turning the DR and maybe other things.  Tempting the DR into doing something disastrous for the wheel, or tricking the DR into killin the DO or taking his place or some such fits much better with what the DO's actions imply.

I always thought there had to be something sneaky going on, like Rand has to let the DO inhabit him then impison/kill himself to do what he has to do. Or some such.  But not necessarily, I mean, if the bore could be made using weaves existing in the AOL, then it could be remade now.

Hmm, if a persons soul is somehow a gateway to this pattern from outside of it, then maybe that's what lan fear was experimenting with.  Until kaploowi, someone's soul caught a smidge of DO and blew up.  Kinda like when you fill a balloon too full.  Aparently the "bubbles of evil" just float around until they catch on a string and burst, or maybe not burst in some cases.  wow i'm tired, going to bed

• 4 weeks later...

Well so far the current war has lasted about 2-3 years, at least since the first open strikes (trollocs at two rivers).  But the first maneuverings have arguably been going on since the bore.

for a real Chronology of The Wheel of Time go to http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm but to sum it up the first thing that happens is Mat sees a Myrddraal just outside Emond's Field on Aine-5 or Mar-20 998NE the last is Silviana takes Egwene to the Hall, where through the opening in the side of the Tower she sees the clouds breaking around Dragonmount on Saven-23 or Jun-02 1000NE  ;)

I keep thinking the Last Battle will involve less fighting and more of Rand realizing that Moridin is the opposite Polarity of who Rand is, and that naturally they are like ying-and-yang. I believe if he accepts this fact, and that there is no need to fight and destroy the shadow, but that the shadow has a leginimate place in his life.

If the Shadow wasn't a nessecary evil, then why would the Creator have even made the Dark One in the beggining? Yet, Lews Therin must have decided for himself that the Shadow could be eliminated from the world forever, and this is what caused the male half of the source to be tainted... because whenver you have complete opposite polarities that meet, there is a explosion... Opposite polarities are attracted towards eachother. I think it would only be natural for the book to end with Rand finally realizing that he doesn't need to fight the Shadow, that the Shadow is just another part of himself. Lol, these are just theories i've been toying with for a long time now though....... I mean really, Robert Jordan is an amazing author, I don't think he is going to end his book like every other Evil VS Good book, where Good wins and everything is happy-doory. I dont think Evil will win either.

Obviously Rand and Moridin are going to be facing down though... they are intimately connected... after Rand had his hand injury, so did Moridin have the same problem with the same hand but it was still there. I dont know, the battle will be a lot like falme, but different things will be going on and on a much more immense scale. Rand is the Bringer of Light, or the figurehead for the Forces of Light, just as Moridin is the figurehead for the DO. If you ask me, after he went to the Moutain of the Dragon and almost killed himself but ended up laughing for the first time in years, I think he is in a much better postition to fight the dark one than he has been for like 2-3 books.

seeming as the DO was sealed in the bore with the forsaken, maybe the DO needs all the forsaked to be deaded before the DO can actually break free and create all doom and gloom upon the world.

All the books so far, Rand has killed a few forsaken, with each time them (ie moirane, stoneface) finding a seal broken. MAYBE DEMANDRED IS THE SEALS. no, but you catch my drift?

Some great big physical fights, blitzkrieg style, some more psychological ones, based on the OP/TP and an end that would not end up with good vs evil, that certainly qualifies for something appealing. That resolves the short period of time span during which Tarmon Gai'don will be fought.

I just hope it won't be too easy, I don't want the one ring to be thrown in the fires of Shayol Ghul. And I do like the balance of goold and evil, the acceptance of evil as part of the world.

Archived