DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has Perrin already thrown a major wrench into the Seanchan sul’dam damane machin

SvetSedi

FYI: RJ siad the chair does not require channelling.

But, here's my pet theory, in my mind that doesn't rule out the possibility that the person does need to be able to channel, just that they don't need to actively touch saidar / saidin.

Thanks for reminding me of that quote.

I agree that there is a probability that it most likely takes someone who can Channel, not who is actively Channeling. Similar to an A'dam.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that many of the captured WOs will kill themselves before submitting for the Adam.

Egwene in TGH shows that she cannot do herself harm when she's collared. She cannot even pick up her pitcher if she thinks of it as a weapon.

I suspect that many of the captured WOs will kill themselves before submitting for the Adam.

Egwene in TGH shows that she cannot do herself harm when she's collared. She cannot even pick up her pitcher if she thinks of it as a weapon.

Egwene wasn't trying too hard to kill herself. She convinced herself the pitcher was not a weapon so that she could take a drink.

If she had continued to convince herself that it was a weapon. She would have been unable to drink and soon died.

Also they could do things to attempt to kill their self while they were linked.

I think the WO will be tamed as easily as all of the Seanchan captives. Damane training isnt about torture, the collar allows the sul'dam to control EVERYTHING the damane do, the price of trying to disobey is not simply pain, it is disabling the damane, No, the damane do not stop resisting because of torture, but the fact they can do nothing to resist. 

Anyway, even if they do try and resist, the Sul'dam can force them weather they resist or not,

I tend to agree with this. Resilient or not, the WO will be tamed and the Seanchan have gained a significant number of Damane thanks to Perrin, which could really hurt Rand's cause later on.

I suspect that many of the captured WOs will kill themselves before submitting for the Adam. A dream walker amongst them could pull her fellow damane into TAR and then they could go to hunt the DO together.

ok i just want to point out here that the adam more than likely keeps them from doing anything in TaR otherwise moggy would have offed nynaeve elayne and egwene while she was collered. i highly doubt that a woman so well versed in the use of TaR would not even think of using it as a way out of her collar, that doesnt mean the SWO wont stop the collering, and i am probably behind on thid post anyways but i have seen so many people talking about the possibility of a dreamer dragging her sul'dam into TaR i had to put in my two bits.

another point people seem to have missed is that a damane feels what the sul'dam feel times 10. egwene punched her sul'dam and ended up with a bruise the size of perrins whole hand. so they cant attack a suldam who has a wise one leashed.

Well, to be fair, Egwene isn't much of a hand-to-hand fighter. I could easily see a Wise One killing her sul'dam in a single fast blow. Who knows what that would do to the Wise One, but still. All in all, I think it's likely that the sul'dam will have a fairly difficult time with the Wise Ones, even if they're eventually successful at breaking them.

Another interesting thing could be maiden handtalk. Now, it goes against custom to use it when a woman is no longer Far Dareis Mai, but given the extraordinary circumstances, it could be a way for some of the WOs to communicate surreptitiously.

On the wider subject, I think that it'll be the confluence of several things that will end the use of the a'dam: the sudden influx of many non-Seanchan damane; the reveal that sul'dam can channel; the eventual alliance between the Seanchan, Rand and the Aes Sedai; Mat; and the collapse of the Seanchan empire at home.

-- dwn

The a'dam relies on nausea, cramps, and various other pain methods to prevent someone doing something.

Aiel laugh in the face of pain.

I still maintain it will be ineffective against Aiel.

While the a'dam does do that, it also completely shames the damane. Perrin has proved how effective that is against the Aiel.

Anyone can be broken. Regardless of how some people love the Aiel, they are not any different. They can be broken. It might take a percentile or two more on average, but they will break. I'd think Rand's section in tGS (not a collar, but still) would show that there's no 'unbreakable' people, just strong people.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure it really matters to any certain extent what the affects of the WO being leashed will be because either this book or the next book Rand will have mat rally the Seanchan to the forces of the light. When that happens we wont have to fight them at least for the time being. After TG I assume that mat, rand, and the rest of the rulers (if alive) will be able to sort out all the details about who will need to be released and what the seanchan can and can't do. I think once the seanchan actually see trollocs, dreadlords and the rest of the creatures made back in the old ages they will be less concerned about reclaiming their rightful land and more concerned with just plan defending and keeping it out of the hands of the shadow.

Archived