DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

House Mantear

I don't think she is hinting Janduin actually had a brother, just mentioning a theoretical situation and trying to make sense of what seems to her a very strange custom.

She says:

I did not have my mother’s permission. And you would need your father’s, I suppose. Or your father-brother’s, since your father is dead?

It's weird for her to acknowledge his father's passing and, at the same time, allude to a brother she knows doesn't exist, isn't it? If you remark on the difficulty created by his father not being alive anymore, why then do you dismiss the issue by inventing another relative?

I always pictured Sulin being a relative of Rand.

Well, I don't know which sept (or clan, for that matter) she belongs to, but it WAS said that all Maidens treat Rand like a relative to some degree.

I interpreted this whole conversation as Avi trying to understand how the Two Rivers customs and family pecking orders work. Doing field studies in social anthropology as it were.

It all seems theoretical "Ok if I was from TR, I would need to ask my mother's permission. You'd need to ask your father. And, if he's dead, who would you apply to for permission?"

Didn't occur to me that she was hinting of the existence of a brother because Aiel custom doesn't work this way and she's very clear that she's not going to follow TR custom.

oh interesting...  I always took "Father-brother" to be like Sister-wife - and assumed it was referring to Tam.  The person who had adopted him - would be the person that his father trusted to raise him - who would be like a brother, but not by blood like an uncle and thus the hyphen.

Galad had a better, and well known claim to Mantear, but Perival became High Seat. I doubt we will ever see Rand the High Seat of Mantear, nor his children.

Also throw this in the Mantear thread.

Here you go. This is interesting. I originally thought the same thing, but now that I've had time to think, Perival IS very young. It's unlikely he's been chosen as High Seat a long time ago. Hence, it might be that Galad wasn't available when it was time to choose a new High Seat, and that's why he wasn't considered for the job.

When Elayne has a girl, and if Rand's ties to Tigraine (and to Elayne's daughter) become publically known, that daughter would have many 'lines connecting her to Ishara', as Elenia has put it. She, and her female descendants, would have a VERY strong claim to the Throne, and might even be able to bring the Houses of Trakand and Mantear together.

What do you guys think?

I doubt anyone will reveal that little secret.

So far, only Rand and a few selected Wise Ones knows who his mother is. And only Rand knows the true identity of his mother. Maybe Rand will choose reveal it to Elayne, but I couldn't imagine what that would accomplish other than adding some much needed excitement to their "relationship".

However, if Rand's ancestry revealed to the public, or rather, to a few notable people...

What a scandal it'll be.

Fun fact.

All three ta'verens are all royalities. Whether through marriage or blood.

I don't count Illian cause I'm sure our new and improved Rand will choose to return the crown to it's rightful owner.

Archived