DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lan Sharpens his sword

Fains nose

At the end of The Great Hunt, Lan is seen sharpening his sword, is this a mistake by the author or what, because Lan’s sword is a power-wrought blade:

The Great Hunt page 678 ‘What Was Meant To Be’

“The two women had to support him, one on either arm, down to where the campfires were already burning, not far from a road of hard-packed dirt. Loial was there, reading a book, To Sail Beyond The Sunset, and Perrin, staring into one of the fires. The Shienarans were making preparations for their evening meal. Lan sat under a tree sharpening his sword; the Warder gave Rand a careful look, then a nod. “

It’s especially weird considering this little speech from Lan at the beginning of the same book:

Page 6 ‘The Flame Of Tar Valon’

Lan talking about power-wrought swords:

“You’ve heard the gleeman’s tales. The reality is enough. Blades that will not shatter or break, and never lose their edge. I’ve seen men sharpening them-playing at sharpening, as it were- but only because they could not believe a sword did not need it after use. All they ever did was wear away their oilstones.”

I noticed this the first time I read tGH and every time I re-read the book it really annoys me for some reason. Sad, I know

The main one i've noticed in TGS is that Hurin is described as a Thief Taker, but he's a Sniffer (but as it's Sanderson's first go we'll let him off, maybe?)

Once again, Hurin never revealed his Sniffer talent to Nynaeve. He was just an ordinary thief-taker to her. From Rand's PoV he probably would have been referred to as a Sniffer, but we only see him in Nynaeve's PoV.

I dont have the book with me obviously, but I'm sure I remember something in the chapter that mentions him being able to smell death and destruction, which suggests that Nynaeve did know about his talent. I could be completely wrong of course :)

I dont have the book with me obviously, but I'm sure I remember something in the chapter that mentions him being able to smell death and destruction, which suggests that Nynaeve did know about his talent. I could be completely wrong of course :)

It's probably just been too long since you read tGH/tDR.  ;)

Nynaeve wasn't in the party that traveled with Hurin to Falme. She traveled with him later, in tDR, but Hurin doesn't like Aes Sedai knowing about his talent. Verin was probably the only Aes Sedai who knew about him.

Archived