DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wise and Knowledgeable Aes Sedai of the White Tower...

I am currently doing a Social Studies project at school about how modern technology has changed the way that we interact with other people. At the moment I am focussing on the massive impact social networking sites like FB have had on us. Anyway, I was hoping that one of you could tell me what the average number of 'friends' is that users have on Facebook?

I'll copy it here for you so you don't have to tear your hair out trying to load the page. Mostly because you called me wise and knowledgeable. Flattery will get you anywhere...

Statistics

People on FacebookMore than 400 million active users

50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day

Average user has 130 friends

People spend over 500 billion minutes per month on Facebook

Activity on Facebook There are over 160 million objects that people interact with (pages, groups and events)

Average user is connected to 60 pages, groups and events

Average user creates 70 pieces of content each month

More than 25 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month.

Global ReachMore than 70 translations available on the site

About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States

Over 300,000 users helped translate the site through the translations application

PlatformMore than one million developers and entrepreneurs from more than 180 countries

Every month, more than 70% of Facebook users engage with Platform applications

More than 550,000 active applications currently on Facebook Platform

More than 250,000 websites have integrated with Facebook Platform

More than 100 million Facebook users engage with Facebook on external websites every month

Two-thirds of comScore’s U.S. Top 100 websites and half of comScore’s Global Top 100 websites have integrated with Facebook

MobileThere are more than 100 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.

People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are twice more active on Facebook than non-mobile users.

There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products

People on fb who are 30 or under do much more posting that those 31 and over.  For instance, one of my nieces has over 300 'close' friends, the type she sends out written birthday invites to.  All her friends are on fb, so they can become my fb friends too if I say, for instance, I am one of that niece's uncles, and my niece says I am cool, groovy, or whatever the correct expression is.

I post one post on fb per month to the mass of friends, and more posts to individual friends.  Once in a while, I will post in real time with a sister, brother, niece, nephew, etc. and it will be like an online conversation.  irc chat rooms are better suited imo for online conversations, since the feedback is right away.

are you just writing about the impacts of social sites like Twitter, FB and myspace?  an interesting angle to look at if this is all your doign your project on is the availablility the bullies have to pick on kids ouside of the school atmosphere.  especially with cases such as these beign in the news recently :)

or is it technology as a whole.  because the gamming consules have had a very big impact on how people interact, especaily now that you can play "online" with friends from your console at the house.

not to mention the impact of Texting, versus having a phone convo; and there is also emial versus snail mail impacts as well.

Archived