DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah: Cultural Exchange Week; Cultural Corner 4: Turkey

Hello everyone, and welcome to our Culture Exchange Week!

We will start today, on Monday the 10th, and end this wonderful Event on Sunday the 16th!

We will have a couple of Cultural Corners (a.k.a. threads) for each country we will talk about, and each will be fun to read and post in!

We will also have a quiz starting on Friday so you can all see what you have learned so far about WONDERFUL cultures we will represent!

So, lets start!!!

Cultural Corner 4

Turkey

by Bels (Bela_theDo)

The Republic Of Turkey, declared War of Independence in 1919,gained the independence in 1923. The nation has at least 2000 years of past, managed to set up many dynasties and empires. Also managed to destroy all of them,except one :P Turkish people have practical-minds, also a deep sense of humour which you may find odd and maybe harsh.We condruct ourselves with being warm and melancholic at the same time.So melancholic that you wouldnt believe Turkish March was composed for us,once upon a time. :P We always welcome guests, and love hosting.

Located in Anatolia,the border of both Europe and Middle-East, which makes Turkish culture deep, complex, and hard to understand. That is why Turkish people are so open-minded, I would say,10 years ago, but to tell the truth,we are not at the moment. Religion is not a huge part of the culture. Or so I think. As being involved in an atheist family, I cannot say much about that. I am taught to respect other’s culture and religion,and freed to choose what I want to believe. In general, Muslim ones are not so strict,and we have our own color in it. I will be able to talk about it when I read some books, because I feel so ignorant about this topic. All I can say is,you can always see a woman in mini standing next to a woman in turban in the streets, and people would never say anything about that(well they may say some things in some certain areas). In Ramadan,you can eat in front of the people before sunset,and they wont be offended.

Talking about culture might last for ages,and I am still a learner. To get it, I think, you must be born in this country. :P

Turkish, as a language, is hard. Once, a British friend told me that he gave up on learning Turkish grammar,and he knew a little Japanese. :P

For food,we have no favourite,because all the dishes are delicious. You might be believing that Turkish people are addicted to meat, but this is all wrong. If you are a veggie, Turkey may become the favourite place for you. :D

Turkish Ravioli(Mantı) – (My favourite dish)

Ingredients            Measure                Amount

Flour                     5 cups                   550 grams

Salt                       3 tablespoons         36 grams

Eggs                     2                           100 grams

Water                   10 2/3 cups          2125 grams

Onion                   2 small size             100 grams

Parsley                 1/3 bunch                20 grams

Black pepper         ½ teaspoon               1 gram

Ground meat         1 ½ cups                250 grams

Tomato                 1 large                   200 grams

Margarine              6 tablespoons          60 grams

Red pepper           ½ teaspoon               1 gram

Garlic                    6 cloves                 18 grams

Yogurt                  3 cups                   660 grams

Sift flour into a large dish and set aside 1/3 cup. Add one tablespoon salt to the remaining flour, mix and make hole in the center. Blend in the eggs, gradually add 2/3 cup water and make a stiff dough. Knead for 7-8 minutes and divide into three balls. Cover with a damp cloth and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel the onions, wash and chop finely. Wash the parsley, separate the leaves and chop finely. Add the onion, parsley, ½ tablespoon salt and the black pepper to the ground meat and mix. Sprinkle with flour and roll out one of the dough balls until 1 millimeter thick. Cut it into 2 cm squares, place about half a teaspoon of the filling at the center of each square and bring the four corners together at the top, press and seal. Process the remaining dough balls in the same way.

Place the remaining water and the salt in a pan and bring to boil. Add the little dough bundles (manti) and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Wash the tomato and grind into another saucepan, add margarine and simmer for about 5 minutes, add the red pepper. Pele, wash and crush the garlic and mix into the yogurt. While serving, pour the garlic yogurt over the manti and then sprinkle with the tomato sauce.

To skip to the holiday part: We are like Ebou Dari people. We love holidays! Even May 1st has been a national holiday for 2 years. If we were not ashamed of slacking so much, we would celebrate all Christian, Buddhist, etc. Holidays as well. Here,the list of the holidays:

January 1 New Year’s Day

April 23   National Sovereignty and Children's Day

May 1 Labour and Solidarity Day

May 19 Commemoration of Atatürk, Youth and Sports Day

August 30 The Day Of Victory

October 29 Republic Day

Ramadan Fest

Sacrifice Fest

As we like dancing,music,singing so much,we of course have different kind of instruments and music. We had two years just to study those in Music class,indeed. You can basically divide Turkish music in two: Turkish Classical Music(not meaning classical music that we all know) and Turkish Folklore Music. While both of them are monophonic for moast of the time, TCM has foundations of Ottoman Music,and not so popular these days because it is very hard to compose and hard to listen, TFM is all national, easier to compose,have different kinds and some of those kinds are easy to listen,some can be harder them TCM.Some you can dance with, some you only listen. For weddings: There are no religious weddings. Or not officially. Whatever you do, you must have a goverment guy to confirm your wed,or it wont count. I dont know if other countries have a law like this,but if groom wants,he can have bride’s surname. If I ever get married,I want to use this. ;D

Now,free to discuss. That was only a little of Turkish culture,only a tiny little bit

:D

@Marta : My mum even did it with just veggies. I dont really think you must stick to the recipe. You can combine the same sauce with pasta,too. If you prepare some,please post the pictures of that,sweetie  :D

@Ama: Oh,the traffic! I live in Ankara,and when I pay a visit there,we spend nearly all of our time in traffic! Istanbul is maybe one of the most beautiful cities in the world,but if you live there,you have to pay a big price  :P

Bela's Tour Guide

There are sooo many places worth to visit here. I am just showing the ones YOU MUST SEE BEFORE YOU DIE  ;D

TROY

You all remember the film,right? Well,the war took place there,so they built up a statue in Çanakkale.(visited by me)

untitled.jpg

EPHESUS

From what I know,Ephesus was one of the greatest cities in Helenistic times. Now,one of the biggest archeological sites in the world,located in Izmir.(visited by me-2 times)

ephesus_efes_agora_img_4719.jpg

celso-s-library-ephesus.jpg

CAPPADOCIA

A natural development.Located in the middle of Turkey,mostly Nevsehir. (visited- several times)

Those things they call fairy chimneys:

family-chimney.jpg

Rock Houses (you can even stay there)

cappadocia.jpg

PAMUKKALE

Again,a natural development.Amazingly beautiful. (visited-several times)

db95d9fe3f734585bac6e129c185e3bd.jpg

MT NEMRUT

An ancient king's grave.Includes a dozen gigantic statues.(havent visited yet)

Mt_Nemrut_1.jpg

DOLMABAHCE PALACE

Built in the mid-19th century,for Sultan Abdulmecit 1. Ataturk(the national here that I will mention about tomorrow) lived here till he died in 1938. All the clocks in the palace are stopped in 9.05,the time he died,for the memory of him.Today,it is a museum,open to anyone.(visited-twice)

dolmabahce-sarayi.jpg

TOPKAPI PALACE

The most visited museum in Turkey,and one of the most visited in Europe.Palace had been the home of the Emperors of Ottoman for nearly 400 years.(visited-twice)

topkapi20palace.jpg

ANITKABIR (ATATURK'S MAUSOLEUM)

Ataturk's resting place,and should be visited.Located in Ankara.(visited-tons of times)

anitkabir3.jpg

That is all,from me. Like I said,lots of places to visit,but if you have just a little time,this list should be enough for you. :D

I visited Pamukkale :D :D So, now all I need is a few more places, and only then, I can think of dying :P joking, of course! I guess I will just have to visit Turkey again... Maybe Istanbul, and then a few of the places listed, which are closest...

You are doing an AWESOME job Bels!!!! :D

Archived