DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah: Cultural Exchange Week; Cultural Corner 3: Asia- China and India

Hello everyone, and welcome to our Culture Exchange Week!

We will start today, on Monday the 10th, and end this wonderful Event on Sunday the 16th!

We will have a couple of Cultural Corners (a.k.a. threads) for each country we will talk about, and each will be fun to read and post in!

We will also have a quiz starting on Friday so you can all see what you have learned so far about WONDERFUL cultures we will represent!

So, lets start!!!

Cultural Corner 3

China

by Karasayl

China is a very old country with an extremely long cultural tradition. One thing that makes it unique is that it has maintained its distinctive culture even with the influence of invaders, domestic turmoil, and even modern technology. Although the country's form of government has changed and taken many different forms, the origin of Chinese culture can be traced to the Xia dynasty dating around 2200 BC. The name "China" in English actually is an amalgamation of the names of the "Qin" and "Han" dynasties that westerner's heard a great deal about when they first arrived. China's name in Chinese is "Zhong Guo" which means Middle Kingdom.

The meaning of Middle Kingdom comes from two aspects:

A) That there is the Heaven, the Earth, and China in-between. It is a similar to the Germanic and Norse concept of Midgar. Rulers of the ancient kingdom had to perform rites to ensure the favor of Heaven.

B) The name Zhong Guo was first referenced in the Eastern Zhou dynasty (a cultural ancestor to the Xia). This was meant to imply that China was the performer of rites between heaven and earth. Other surrounding countries whom did not therefore by maintaining balance; China is the center of the civilized world.

Even to this day, if you are not Chinese, the Chinese will refer to you as a 'wai guo ren', a foreigner, even if they are living right next door to you! This is not a matter of being impolite though, people in China treat foreigners with a great deal of curiosity and respect.

The 3 mainstays of Chinese culture are its 3 ideologies: Confucianism, Daoism, and Buddhism.

Both Confucianism and Daoism originated in China, whereas Buddhism originated in India/Nepal.

Confucianism was founded by Kongzi. He believed in attaining a moral society based upon a developing a virtuous character. Focus on the relationships between people was very important, and family was one of the primary relationships to develop.

This is one reason Chinese are extremely family oriented. Eating is probably one of the most important things a family does together, and the Chinese have a great culinary culture.

Daoism was founded by Laozi. Daoism, also known as 'The Path of Virtue' in its purest form is very concerned with humanity's relationship with the cosmos. This thought encompasses that there are extremes of duality to everything, and that one should try to live in moderation, in the middle.

One is characterized by what does and what one does not do. Daoism advocates living life by means of peace, non-action, flexibility, and the natural world. The symbol of the ancient Aes Sedai is the same as the 'yin yang' of Daoism. Aspects of Daoism are often seen in martial arts.

Buddhism was founded by Siddhartha Gautama. Buddhism is a religion and philosophy of how to live. Since Confucianism and Daoism never focused so much about afterlife, Buddhism gave an explanation and a means to end suffering to the harsh realities many common people experiences in day to day.

The method to do so was through becoming enlightened and ending your cycle of rebirth. The method of enlightment is different from many of the different forms of Buddhism; the most common in China are Mahayana (Pure Land and Chan [Zen]) and Theravada (Tibetan Lamas).  

Although most Chinese are of the Han people, China also has 55 minorities. Mandarin, the northern dialect of Beijing, is the official dialect, but each city and region often has its own dialect. Chinese is very easily recognized by its tonal sounds and array of characters.

Fun Facts:

-Legends say that tea was discovered by Shen Nong. Not only do Chinese people love tea for its health properties such as aiding digestion but also for many practical reasons. Water was unsafe to drink in most parts of China un-boiled, a need to kill bacteria. Tea was a hot alternative to just boiled water. Chinese people often don't drink iced drinks for this reason.The word ice in Chinese sounds like the word sick. Good luck finding a water fountain. but Hotel, offices, schools, and restaurants all have hot water boilers for people to have a drink.

-Morality is a bit different in China. China never had the concept of an all knowing deity, which is common in the West. For that reason China has a shame culture whereas the west has a guilt culture.

The difference is this: If you did someone wrong and no one saw it, it’s not a problem. Your actions are based upon the perceptions of your peers. In the West, if you do something wrong, even if no one sees it you might feel bad about it.

-Although pasta is usually credited to Italy, pasta was invented in China, albeit in different forms. The Chinese have a great love for noodles ('mian' and dumplings ('jiaozi'). It’s thought these delicacies were loved so much in the Tang dynasty, that they were brought back to the West and modified into what some can see as spaghetti and ravioli.

-As a guy, I have to say that I like seeing mini-skirts :P In Chinese, the word for mini skirt literally means: 'to mesmerize you skirt'. ;)

India

by Pankhuri

"Atithi Deveo Bhavh"meaning guests and God are like. This is how guests are welcomed in India.

India is a country in South Asia. It is the seventh-largest country by geographical area, the second-most populous country with about 1.18 billion people, and the most populous democracy in the world. Bounded by the Indian Ocean on the south, the Arabian Sea on the west, and the Bay of Bengal on the east, India has a coastline of 7,517 kilometres (4,700 mi). It is bordered by Pakistan to the west; China, Nepal, and Bhutan to the north; and Bangladesh and Burma to the east. India is in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, and the Maldives in the Indian Ocean.

Home to the Indus Valley Civilization and a region of historic trade routes and vast empires, the Indian subcontinent was identified with its commercial and cultural wealth for much of its long history. Four major religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism originated here, while Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity and Islam arrived in the first millennium CE and shaped the region's diverse culture. India became an independent nation in 1947 after a struggle for independence that was marked by widespread non-violent resistance.

India is a pluralistic, multilingual and multiethnic society, also home to a diversity of wildlife in a variety of protected habitats.

Traditional Indian family values are highly respected, and multi-generational patriarchal joint families have been the norm, although nuclear family are becoming common in urban areas. An overwhelming majority of Indians have their marriages arranged by their parents and other respected family members, with the consent of the bride and groom. Marriage is thought to be for life, and the divorce rate is extremely low. Child marriage is still a common practice, with half of women in India marrying before the legal age of 18.

Traditional Indian dress varies across the regions in its colours and styles and depends on various factors, including climate. Popular styles of dress include draped garments such as sari for women and dhoti or lungi for men; in addition, stitched clothes such as salwar kameez for women and kurta-pyjama and European-style trousers and shirts for men, are also popular.

Many Indian festivals are religious in origin, although several are celebrated irrespective of caste and creed. Some popular festivals are Diwali, Ganesh Chaturthi, Ugadi, Thai Pongal, Holi, Onam, Vijayadashami, Durga Puja, Eid ul-Fitr, Bakr-Id, Christmas, Buddha Jayanti and Vaisakhi.[155] India has three national holidays which are observed in all states and union territories — Republic Day, Independence Day and Gandhi Jayanthi. Other sets of holidays, varying between nine and twelve, are officially observed in individual states.

Indians are fond of many things as they are many cultures. In the part of India I live there is sociallity.the part is north-middle India and the main occupation is farming and main crop Sugarcane.In my city which is about 70 km awy from capital there is a mixture of cultures. There are Hindus, Christians, Muslims all together. Thre are many festivals celbrated mostly in between August and March. Here every 1out 10 girls know the classical dance of Kathak and evry 1out of 50 person know classical music or maybe little more or less. Temperature here could reach upto 45 degree C in summers and $ degree in winters. Here people are confident and do not let small things stand in their way.People like reasearching, dancing, singing and many other activities.

Truly India is a country of mysteries. to experience it is the only way to explore it.

I would like to point something out in Chinese culture:

If you did someone wrong and no one saw it, it’s not a problem. Your actions are based upon the perceptions of your peers. In the West, if you do something wrong, even if no one sees it you might feel bad about it.

It is so similar to ji'e'toh. Aiel society has the same shame culture,but in a bit deeper extence,I think.

For India,I would like to see this country first that I see as an example of toleration to other people's cultures,religions,etc. It amazes me how they survive,and I wish it could be the same for the rest of the world.

For India,I would like to see this country first that I see as an example of toleration to other people's cultures,religions,etc. It amazes me how they survive,and I wish it could be the same for the rest of the world.

Living with other religions doesn't mean tolerating them. It is about respecting them. every religion tries its best to merge with other religions. They make part in different festivals, rituald and have a lot of fun. And no one tolerates it as Indians are free of mind and speech. One Christian could go to a Hindu temple with a Hindu without feeling any regret and vice-versa. Indians have respect for each other and you could find suprising similarities between India and WoT. Some culrures like dresses of Tinkers are a culture of Rajasthan a desert state in India. There are many many more similarities between India and WoT.

Here is a Map of India.

IndiaMap_tourism.gif

Here is the flag of India

india-flag.jpg

Every colour has a meaning- Saffron for sacrifice, White for peace and Green for prosperity. The wheel in middle is called Ashoka Chakra and it symbolises about mving 24 hours with its 24 spokes.

I would like to point something out in Chinese culture:

If you did someone wrong and no one saw it, it’s not a problem. Your actions are based upon the perceptions of your peers. In the West, if you do something wrong, even if no one sees it you might feel bad about it.

It is so similar to ji'e'toh. Aiel society has the same shame culture,but in a bit deeper extence,I think.

Very good observation there Bela! Acctually if one looks at ji'e'toh can be interpreted as a very strict form of Confucanism- Emphasis on ones duty and obligation to ones clan, sept, etc. The Seanchan also have cases of this, with

sei'taer. Even Japanese Bushido was very much influenced by Confucian concepts :)

Well Confucanism is about creating an ideal society by focusing on a unit (such as a person, or family) role in the larger. Lets put it this way, if you have toh to someone, its likely because you have not fulfilled what is expected of your obligation, either to an individual, or a group. Respect is amust- and given the roles people play in these relationships. Confucius even listed certain relationship he felt were some of the most important:

(1) ruler to ruled;

(2) father to son;

(3) husband to wife;

(4) elder brother to younger brother; and

(5) friend to friend.

Similar can be said with seitaer. For the Seanchan, thier entire culture is based upon a rigid class system. Those individuals/families whom are Blood have ideally done more for the Seanchan people. This, more privileged for more obligation given.

Seitaer, or keepign ones eyes level, is the exact concept of "face" or mianzi in Chinese. Its a show of social honor given someone for how they have acted upon thier obligations.

I know this is confusing, so I hope it helps a little.

Primogeniture...the emphasis on the male side was due mostly due to inheritance of one's estate. Keep in mind this was in the 500s BCE. These were argrarian economies, so people were likely farmers and didn't have much to pass on.

Although Confucius did talk about lets say..ex:father to son, this was also interpreted to parents to children, oldest childen above younger, etc.. Modern Confucians such as Tu Weiming argue that #5 is the mos timportant relationship, as theres no confusion of a gender bias.

-Morality is a bit different in China. China never had the concept of an all knowing deity, which is common in the West. For that reason China has a shame culture whereas the west has a guilt culture.

The difference is this: If you did someone wrong and no one saw it, it’s not a problem. Your actions are based upon the perceptions of your peers. In the West, if you do something wrong, even if no one sees it you might feel bad about it.

This is fascinating! I never knew that fact.

• 5 months later...

I would like to add a few more things about India.

India has had continuous civilization for the last 7000 years or more. In fact Indian heritage is perhaps the oldest surviving.

Indian constitution officially recognizes 15 languages. English being one among them. Apart from these 15 languages, there are many more languages and dialects that they are about 800 in number. Sometimes people within the same state and Linguistic group find it difficult to understand people who speak a different dialect. That's the kind of diversity India offers.

The dress and customs are as varies as can be . It's not by coincidence that India is called a subcontinent.

There are many religions flourishing in India - Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism are considered the major religions of India. Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism originated in India.

Christianity came into India well before it became the major religion of Europe.

The Hindu religion has Mythological epics like Ramayana, Mahabharatha. The discourses between Lord Krishna and Arjuna during the war - Called the Bhagavdgita - is considered the embodiment of Hindu philosophy. Mahabharata is considered the longest epic in the world.

I can go on. but to condense 7000 years into a few passages is difficult.

India has had continuous civilization for the last 7000 years or more. In fact Indian heritage is perhaps the oldest surviving.

Indian constitution officially recognizes 15 languages. English being one among them. Apart from these 15 languages, there are many more languages and dialects that they are about 800 in number. Sometimes people within the same state and Linguistic group find it difficult to understand people who speak a different dialect. That's the kind of diversity India offers.

The dress and customs are as varies as can be . It's not by coincidence that India is called a subcontinent.

There are many religions flourishing in India - Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism are considered the major religions of India. Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Sikhism originated in India.

Christianity came into India well before it became the major religion of Europe.

The Hindu religion has Mythological epics like Ramayana, Mahabharatha. The discourses between Lord Krishna and Arjuna during the war - Called the Bhagavdgita - is considered the embodiment of Hindu philosophy. Mahabharata is considered the longest epic in the world.

Are you a Indian?

You know the original I had written was longer but I had to shorten it.

I think there are 18 official languages.

Are you a Indian?

You know the original I had written was longer but I had to shorten it.

I think there are 18 official languages.

I am an Indian. There are about 22 official languages recognized in India but the Indian currency notes display 15 of them. I just wanted to add to your writeup. Do you by any chance speak Telugu. I am from Hyderabad

Archived