DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lessons 1 & 2: Source (Open)

minisamus

Edit: For the italics and powers that be that check the intro reqs, this is all of lessons 1&2 which involves the basics on Source. As an aes sedai teacher I am permitted to merge two lessons at my discretion. According to the approved class format, we have 1) went over the rule of no channelling without permission 2) touched the Source consciously for the first time 3) gone over a list of burnt out channellers so far

Salandrian said, turning a page. “Taya organized this guild. She says—look—the new girls were to meet her at noon.”

“Weren’t we here to fish?” asked Saline. But she still lay unmoving on her back, feeling her eyelids droop. Sunshine and that deep summer insect hum, and rarer than either, she had come home. For once she could pretend not to have any responsibilities. Her eyes tried to droop again, but she forced them open. She wondered why she wouldn’t permit herself to fall into harmless sleep.

“Not me,” Salandrian said, out of the grass. Saline was the most self-indulgent advisor an Accepted could have in the Tower. That’s why Salandrian liked shadowing Saline: it left her with a great deal of freedom. Most of the time the Aes Sedai was abroad, and when she wasn’t travelling, she’d arrange for lessons where they’d go fishing. As for lessons, Salandrian wanted to see how long it’d be before Saline remembered the novices. Light! She's more absent than a Brown sometimes.

Saline rolled over, reached out and picked a fuzzy green-yellow bunch of flowers. It stained her fingers orange but gave off a sharp scent. No longer sleepy, she unfolded her slender body. “Come on, you. Fish.”

“I feel a bit funny.” Salandrian turned the crackling pages. She didn’t gaze at the grey-green pond. And she definitely hadn’t looked up when Saline flicked the flowers at Salandrian.

Saline walked to edge of the pond, ignoring the slow-moving swans that drifted across. Over her head, the tree sighed in the breeze, like waves on distant oceans. She threaded her fishing-line through her rod, and knotted the leader on her line. She secured the hook into the rod’s cork handle. For some time, Saline fitted the rods together, tying the hooks and floats. Then she cast off, carefully eyeing the slope of land, grassy and without trees, on the other side. She had almost forgotten about her Accepted “student” until the other said something.

Saline, glancing around, suddenly let her line go slack. She looked hard at Salandrian, frowning. “What's that now?”

“I say, aren’t you late to that intro class you were starting?” Salandrian repeated.

“. . . Yes.” Saline brushed at a wet stain on her breeches before heading toward the Tower and leaving the mess for the Accepted “gather up the rods Salandrian and you can join me after.”

Saline

Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah

Salandrian Faerhind

Accepted of the White Tower

So that’s why she couldn’t let herself fall asleep! Home, the White Tower meant responsibilities. Saline had only to be accountable for her actions on the road. But the Tower had set her straight about any attempts to go it alone again. Not only was she an advisor to young Salandrian but also had to teach novices. Saline glided in, not even acknowledging her tardiness, although the stained breeches ruined the effect somewhat. She could have dried them with Saidar but, why tap into the source for something trivial?

“Welcome, novices. I am Saline. It always pleases me when curious young women come to learn in the White Tower. While you’ll be getting a thorough and varied education here at the Tower, the main reason you are here because you can learn to tap into the One Power which is accessible to all Aes Sedai, and regardless of whether or not you end up binding yourself to the Tower permanently, I look forward to furthering your training to controlling your power.”

Saline looked around for a chalk board, finally espying one by the corner. She moved to the corner of the room where the board sat and smiled. “I’m not sure how much you’ve heard about it already, so I’ll just tell you some basics to correct any misconceptions about the One Power and we’ll cover the rest as your lessons progress, shall we.”

“The One Power, or Source, drives all creation. The Wheel moves because of it. The pattern grows because of it. Its nature is mysterious, but we know the Source is divided into two halves. The male half is called Saidin, and the female half you have the ability to use is called Saidar. This is its symbol” Saline said, drawing the white and black seal on the board, “yet despite the black, white contrast, the Source isn’t good or evil in itself, it’s entirely dependent on the person using it. In fact, both sides used the female and male aspects of the Source for good and evil depending on the wielder during the War of Power, or War of the Shadow, and it was only at the war’s end that only Saidin was used."

“A little history, by the by. The general for the Light Lews Therin Telamon bored the Dark One away with his Companions, the male Aes Sedai. Latra Posae Decume opposed Lews Therin’s plan, and reached an agreement with every female Aes Sedai on the side of the Light to not support Lews Therin’s plan. This agreement was later known as the Fateful Concord, which kept the female Aes Sedai out of the attempt to seal away the Dark One and the Forsaken. In response to the Dragon Lews Therin Telamon and his companions the Dark One tainted Saidin with his touch, out of spite for those who dared to seal him. As one of the sisters of the Red Ajah, I am particularly interested in those who suffer this madness.”

"But thankfully, we use Saidar and do not have to fear for going mad. In fact, we can show you how to use this power safely. It is an integral part of you, and would not respond to force as one could use a sword or fork. To channel it, you must first learn some self control . . . Hello there, Salandrian!” Saline waved rather cheerfully to the girl in the Accepted dress.

OOC: Since Saline’s already late to the class it’d be ample time for you novices to get to know each other. Please post arriving and also any reactions to what’s been told to you so far (i.e. “arrgh, male AS! How is this possible” or “getting really boring here, ah who’s this”). Saline’s assistant Salandrian will be passing around an attendance sheet.

That confounded Aes Sedai! Salandrian picked up the fishing rods, detangling the fishing thread. Across the pond a gentle breeze blew and flapped her white skirt against her legs. Mindlessly she began to unthread the fishing-line as her thoughts wandered to  the Red. Saline Sedai walked away with that Aes Sedai glide and Salandrian shook her head. She swore that if it weren’t attached to her, Saline Sedai would forget her bottom most of the time. Light only knew how she was able to travel the world the way she did. It was only on her rare, unexpected visits to Tar Valon that Salandrian saw her advisor, and even more rarely when she learned from her anything valuable besides patience.

“Ah!” A sharp pain brought her back to the task at hand. A small red line ran down the length of her thumb. Salandrian cursed and drew the blood out with her mouth, the metallic taste of blood in her mouth. Bloody ashes! She made me draw blood! Focus Sal! she told herself. Focus! She returned to the task at hand, pausing only to keep the blood from staining the wooden rods, then ran after Saline.

“Salandrian, Aes Sedai do not draw blood on accident. And we certainly do not run.” Salandrian squeezed her thumb, nodded “Yes Aes Sedai”, then shifted the stack of rods in her hand.

Salandrian tried to emulate the Aes Sedai walk as though she was not late, which was difficult given the fishing rods she carried. One particularly giggly novice giggled as Salandrian shifted the rods, but silenced immediately when she got a raised eyebrow. After putting the rods down behind the desk, Salandrian opened the drawer and got out the class list. Only then did Saline acknowledge her.

“Hello there, Salandrian!” she said rather cheerfully. Salandrian was slightly taken aback at her merriment, but tried not to show it and nodded. “Good afternoon, Saline Sedai." What was she up to? “Class, my name is Salandrian. And you will call me that. I will be assisting Saline Sedai she put extra emphasis on the title “in teaching you to open yourselves to saidar. If you will please tell me your full names, I will record where you are sitting and will sit for the remainder of this class. Is that clear?” Salandrian nodded when they mumbled yes, then began collecting names and putting them to faces.

Salandrian Faerhind

Who would have thought it to be so BIG?

Maryam wandered the corridors for twenty minutes desperately trying to recall the location of the classroom. Light, how many rooms did they need? There weren't THAT many novices, and even less Accepted. And everything was so FAR! Staggering to a halt in front of the classroom, she leaned against the wall to catch her breath, and then squared her shoulders to head inside.

Glancing at some of the other novices present, she attempted to assess where the best seat would be. In front would mean that the Aes Sedai would notice her first, but in back would mean she was marked out as a potential troublemaker. Frowning for a long moment, she moved toward the back of the room, taking the row in front of the very back row. Better to be a troublemaker than a pet. She WAS working to be Aes Sedai, after all, and that meant that she had to exhibit independence of thought and boldness. Taking her seat quietly, she watched the novices in front of her, and shifted nervously. Who was the teacher again? Salty Sedai, or something like that. Well, whoever it was, she'd be teaching them to use the one power today, which of course meant fireballs. Maryam straightened as the red sister entered the room.

Listening with rapt attention, Maryam's eyes widened at mention of the Dragon. Light, he had really channeled? That was supposed to be a myth. Something tugged at her, though. Something the Aes Sedai had said... what was it? Continuing to listen, she considered the Accepted. She was still a bit uncertain about the women in banded dresses. Sure, she was supposed to obey them, and sure, they had to obey the Aes Sedai, but what was it about them that set them apart from the novices? Shaking her head in some confusion, she waited until the Accepted finished her speech.

Maryam bobbed to her feet then dropped into a curtsey. "I am Maryam Aldevwin, Salamander Accepted." Not sure if the honorific "accepted" was appropriate, it seemed safest to just give it. Turning her gaze to the woman in trousers - Trousers! on a WOMAN! Oh, light! - she continued meekly, "Sa-uh-Saltine Sedai, may, uh. I-I... I do have a question, if it pleases you, Saltine Sedai." Hesitantly, she stayed dipped in her best maid's curtsey.

The face that watched them now, gently, smiled as the girl with the ringing Murandian lilt bowed her head and dipped into a deep curtsey of respect. It was always refreshing whenever somebody actually asked questions, even if they might need some work on their memory. Saline couldn't wait to see how interesting the end of this class would be when they have the lists of names to memorize. The thought of what would come sustained her, and she drew herself upright.

"Salandrian," she said.

"Saline Sedai?" Poor Salandrian looked like she was channeling the patience of The High King who once besieged the Tower.

"Thank you for that wonderful introduction." Saline said clearly, continuing "Maryam, feel free to ask of us anything you are thinking about, that way we can share the experience as a class."

Amadine ran from her room, just back from chores in the kitchens she had hurriedly collected her satchel full of pens, papers and inks she used for classes. She bolted through the Novice halls towards the classroom *Light!* she thought *I cannot be late for my first saidar class!*

Amadine skidded to a halt in front of the classroom and entered to see only one other student already in the room. She took a seat in the second row of desks, saving one alongside her for her roommate, Knytiri, by placing one of her inkwells on the desk top.

Several other girls filed in and took their seats, the girls shared some idle gossip about chores and tower events. Like the fact that one of the cooks helpers had turned up pregnant, and her not married! The Mistress of the Kitchens had been stalking around questions tower guardsmen for days over that one! Whether she had found out who had "defiled my girl!" as she put it, none of the girls in the room knew. Amadine made a mental note to ask Rey about that later, she had grown up in the White Tower and knew most of the Tower staff better than the newcomers.

Idly she wondered what was keeping Knytiri, she had not seen the girl all day. As if summoned Knytiri ducked through the door and threw Amadine a quick smile. An Aes Sedai soon followed her into the room. The Aes Sedai was wearind breeches, a sight Amadine had seen before but it was still unusual enough to make her stare for a moment.

“Welcome, novices. I am Saline. It always pleases me when curious young women come to learn in the White Tower. While you’ll be getting a thorough and varied education here at the Tower, the main reason you are here because you can learn to tap into the One Power which is accessible to all Aes Sedai, and regardless of whether or not you end up binding yourself to the Tower permanently, I look forward to furthering your training to controlling your power.”

Amadine set to studiously listening to Saline Sedai and taking notes during her opening speech. Maryam appeared at the door looking slightly flushed, like she had been running, and took a seat in the row behind Amadine. Saline Sedai explained about the nature of saidar the Aes Sedai drew the symbol of Aes Sedai of the chalk board and explained about the two halves of saidar. Amadine shuddered at the thought of men channelling. Her mother had used to scare her with tales of Rahvin, Sammael and Ishamael when she had misbehaved as a small girl. She shuddered again as she put thoughts of the Foresaken out of her head, all knew they were safely bound away from the world.

Just then another girl entered the room, this one wearing an banded Accepted's dress. Strangely, the girl was carrying an arm full of... were they? They were! Fishing rods! The Accepted moved toward the front of the room, she laid the fishing rods down on the floor behind the large desk at the front of the room. She stepped towards the desk and took something from one of the drawers.

“Hello there, Salandrian!” Saline Sedai smiled at the Accepted. “Good afternoon, Saline Sedai. Class, my name is Salandrian. And you will call me that. I will be assisting Saline Sedai in teaching you to open yourselves to saidar. If you will please tell me your full names, I will record where you are sitting and will sit for the remainder of this class. Is that clear?”

Amadine nodded her agreement and spoke her name when it was her turn. Amadine her a scrape of a chair behind her and she turned to see Maryam dipping a curtsey "Sa-uh-Saltine Sedai, may, uh. I-I... I do have a question, if it pleases you, Saltine Sedai."

Amadine stifled a giggle with her fist, poor Maryam, first the Accepted's name wrong then and Aes Sedai's. Saline Sedai responded that she should indeed ask her question and Amadine waited to hear what it was, she was glad Maryam had risen first, now she could ask her questions without being the first to ask!

Amadine al'Varine - excited novice

OCC Kny i took the liberty of mentioning you, i can change that part if it doen't fit with your thoughts on the class :)

OOC: i don't mind in the least =D

IC: Knytiri growled at the door. It would-NOT-open. No amount of punching, kicking, or begging had made the door even so much as budge a single inch. And she suspected, judging by the ringing silence in her ears, that no one else had heard her pounding, and so no one had come to free her.

It had started simply enough. She had been doing her morning chores in the kitchen, and the cook had asked for some spice that they were currently out of in the kitchens themselves, and sent Knytiri off to fetch some from the seldom-used pantries further down one hall. So she had done so, only... no one had mentioned "Hey Knytiri, don't let the door close behind you, cause you'll be locked in." So, now here she was, thoroughly locked in, as she had been for some matter of hours.

Tears threatened to burn at her eyes as she waited. If I were Aes Sedai, or even Accepted, I would be able to open the bloody door. As it is, I'm helpless, and useless, waiting in here for someone to come by so that I can hopefully reach my class before it's over. It was a shaming thought; missing her first class that wasn't a book lesson, missing the first class that would actually begin teaching her about what really seperated Aes Sedai from normal women--saidar. Her history lessons had been boring, mostly reviewing things she had previously read, though some without bias.

She sighed and leaned back against some type of barrel, hoping she wasn't getting too dirty or covered in splinters, when suddenly the door handle rattled, then turned. Knytiri leapt to her feet as the door opened, exclaiming in delight, causing the other poor Novice opening the door to stumble backwards into the far wall, eyes as wide as they could go, her mouth open in a soundless scream of fright, her hands flung up in front of her.

“Thank you thank you thank you!” Knytiri exclaimed, bouncing out of the closet. “I was sent earlier to fetch spice, but I got locked in, and I know I must be very late for my class, so if you'll excuse me...”

She dashed off, leaving the stunned Novice staring after her.

She darted into the classroom finally, almost expecting it to be ending, but was surprised to see that it had not begun. She drew a deep calming breath, and her eyes swept the room, catching Amadine, who she flashed a brilliant smile at and headed her way. She sat next to her, still breathing a little hard from her run up to the classroom, but was otherwise serene, and calm, and very much relieved.

The lecture given was little more than a review to Knytiri, who found herself a little on the disappointed side, and instead began thinking on the actions of the teacher. Wearing britches? Was that technically proper? She hadn't seen but a couple other women wearing such, for usually they were clad in fine dresses. And the fishing rods? Were they for some purpose in the lesson?

Then Maryam was asking a question, and Knytiri frowned slightly to herself. Her own questions would probably come across as slightly rude, but she was eager to learn about the actual power, not the theory of light and dark behind it, or the history of it. Inherently, she knew that no one thing was specifically good or evil, but that the hand guiding it chose the path. The history she knew some of, and she supposed in time she would know more, but for some reason, a strange impatience had welled up within her, and it was difficult to stifle. She fidgeted slightly in her seat, pushing it down as much as possible. Perhaps through the other Novices' questions she would find some answers of her own.

Ray-ray was bored. There was no other way to put it. EVERYONE had been late. Everyone. Was noone interested in punctuality these days? Her eyes watered slightly at the glare of the sun coming through the windows. Her mind was wandering slightly when the Aes Sedai and the Accepted turned up. Something about some ancient symbol somewhere. Ray-ray tried to focus, but her eyes ran over the room. She noted Knytiri, Amadine and Maryam had found each other in the other corner of the room. Beside her was a new Novice Ray-ray had never met. But she had dimples in her cheek and very nice hair. Also, when she bent over to pick up a pencil, Ray-ray got an eyeful. And that made her happy.

Her mind snapped back as Maryam introduced herself. Did that girl just call the Accepted...? Well that was bizarre.

Her mind wandered again as Maryam began to ask something. Probably something to do with the One Power. Or Saidar. Or Aes Sedai. Or something. It was way too hot and bright for a proper lesson anyway. She hoped for a chance to be out in the gardens plucking flowers or planting seeds or catching butteflies. Lately, the Cook had been obsessed about making herbal infusions with flowers from their garden. Ray-ray suspected that was not strictly allowed, but Cook worked like she owned the place anyway.

“And who might you be?” Ray-ray started at the question addressed to her. The Accepted’s face clearly registered the fact Ray-ray had not been paying attention.

She quickly smiled a dazzling smile that caused the Accepted to practically take a step back, stood up and curtseyed. “My names is Regalia Frantelle, Accepted.” She sat down gracefully and clasped her hands together. She looked around and caught the novice next to her winking at her. Well, that is rather nice. Perhaps my afternoon isn’t going to be too boring after all. Smiling, she felt the lesson was going better already.

Yovela stood outside the classroom door with her eyes closed, her hands at her sides clenched in fists.  She breathed in to calm herself, hoping that when she opened her eyes, this would be the time that she woke up and that all her nightmares about coming to the White Tower would be over.  If only this were a dream.  She knew it wasn't, so she steeled herself for the despair she would feel when she did open her eyes.

She heard footsteps on the hard floor coming towards her, so she opened her eyes and entered the classroom without a look anywhere but in front of her.  The less she saw, the better she felt, though she had no doubts by now that they wouldn't allow her to return home until they were finished with her.  These Aes Sedai were quite insistent that she be trained.  They would have been her greatest fear if not for the fact that she feared becoming one of them even more. 

Other girls entered, but Yovela didn't really make any efforts to socialize.  These girls wanted to be here, or at least seemed to.  They hadn't been kidnapped and brought here without their consent.  Okay, so there really was no way for Yovela to know that since she hadn't talked to any of the others at any length, but she thought her circumstances were unusual enough that no one else was in the same boat.  At least no one else seemed to be Amadician. 

The Aes Sedai who was teaching the class entered and gave an introductory speech.  Yovela listened as she spoke, but did not take notes.  She found herself contrasting what this woman was telling her with the facts she had known all her life.  The Aes Sedai made what the witches did sound natural, as if they had a right to touch the Source and use it for their own wills.  Look what had happened when the men used the Source the way they wanted!  This woman knew the story and yet thought there was nothing wrong with teaching a bunch of children to wield such a dangerous weapon.  It was like giving a baby a butcher's knife to use as a teether. 

She gave her name to the Accepted when the woman requested it.  Her seat was in the middle of the room.  She felt there was no sense sitting in front, when she didn't want attention, or in the back where she might be considered delinquent or hiding and thus draw attention as well.  The middle was the safest, but when the Accepted looked at her face, Yovela wondered if anywhere was safe.  A simple seating choice wasn't going to protect her from what they wanted her to learn, what they wanted her to do.  She tried to control the shiver of fear that shook her, but she was pretty sure the Accepted saw it.

Tilly had not been late. Tilly could not be late. Tardiness was a genetic impossibility, like spontaneous human combustion, which . . . admittedly was more or less possible for anyone with the ability to channel; however, that would ruin my previous clauses so let’s just ignore it for now. Thanks.

Tilly had learnt the secret art of appearing so common-place and small beer no one really noticed her even after registering her presence (small puppies also have this ability, as do threadworms unless the former have eaten your shoes and the latter infested your body). She had every intention of listening to the lesson without drawing attention to herself whatsoever, having yet to make up her mind about this channelling thing.

It seemed all rather silly but everyone took it so seriously.

The aes sedai in charge of this lesson was late. Saline was it? Yes. She believed so. Tilly didn’t really mind; it wasn’t as though an extra half an hour was going to impact the length of her stay now was it? At least not by any more than half an hour, a period only important if you’re doing something that should be finished by then.

There were conversations around her but she was happy just watching; besides, her voice wouldn’t carry far enough with sufficient force to interject. The other novices were each quite happy to do their own thing which made life infinitely more relaxing for Tilly.

An aes sedai came into the room, the porcelain face told her (she wondered cheerfully if that face would crack when touched with adequate force), followed by an accepted. Saline Sedai wore dirty trousers that seemed more appropriate than all the white dresses—did they want to have to do laundry all the time?

The Dragon was mentioned again, the mad fellow allegedly responsible for making a mountain. She didn’t want to believe it. Yes, she had seen things in Tar Valon she didn’t understand and couldn’t explain, but she could quite comfortably shape a gown that changed colours as you moved; this didn’t require magic, only skill, and still contrived to be rather spectacular to anyone who didn’t know how.

Tilly gave the aes sedai the benefit of her ignorance—the woman spoke with such faith.

There was to be role-call, which prelated the death of her stealthy dreams. Tilly had quite purposefully placed herself as close to a back corner of the room as possible, all spider-like and safe behind her desk. But her voice just had the one volume setting and was not going to make the front of the room; that would be awkward. There would be staring and discomfort, like a solo pianist pressing all the wrong keys at just the right times.

With his or her nose.

She braved the long walk, stomach muscles taut and face pink from an emotion squarely between embarrassment and dread; she was a rather socially inept girl, and imagined everyone would be looking at her so pointedly did not look at them,  a shame when no one was heeding her march. But at least this way she wouldn’t have to meet any eyes.

Tilly introduced herself to the Accepted, voice sounding somewhat like a clarinet in need of a new reed, or bagpipes with pin holes in them: “Excuse me. My name is Patience Tilly.”

And just like that she had conquered the mighty beast of social foray. She felt quite good about this, positively wise in the way of dialogue and interaction. And as she retreated back to the safety of her desk, her posture was ever so slightly more relaxed and her heart beat to the sweet drums of victory.

"I am Maryam Aldevwin, Salamander Accepted. Sa-uh-Saltine Sedai, may, uh. I-I... I do have a question, if it pleases you, Saltine Sedai." Hesitantly, the girl stayed in her poor imitation of a maid’s curtsey. She was insufferable! Salamander Accepted and Saltine Sedai! By the Light, Salandrian hoped that this girl was as wool-headed as novices got. The rest of them had better have a head squarely on their shoulders, or I swear one of them will lose whatever head they have. Salandrian looked back at Saline Sedai, and tried her best to remember patience.

The rest of the novices actually seemed more composed than Maryam. Though she noted all of them, she remembered only a few: Regalia Frantelle, Yovela, Patience Tilly.

Saline nodded at her, and the continued the lesson. It was one that she still occaisionally used, and it helped her calm down when she got overworked. Like now.

“Close your eyes, girls,” Salandrian commanded. “Now, I want you to imagine a rosebud. Think of the rosebud, and only the rosebud.” Salandrian followed her own instructions. Her lilac colored rose sprang up in her mind’s eye. “Imagine that the rosebud is opening, slowly. Ever so slowly. Imagine the scent, sweet and lovely. Feel the sun upon the petals. Welcome the blooming, for it is only through that that the power will become part of you.” Already saidar flooded her body, but she continued. “Let go of everything else on your mind and think only of the rosebud. There is nothing except your rose blooming. All you need to know is that the rose is yours.” She continued on, until she saw a few girls glow, however weakly, with saidar. “See the rosebud slowly blossoming, unfolding, blooming. The rose is yours.”

Salandrian glanced over at Saline, and could have sworn she saw her smiling to herself.

Salandrian Faerhind

A rose. A rose. A rose. A rose. Is a rose. Is a rose. Is a rose. Ray-ray yawned and licked her lips. This was boring. Roses were roses, just as sweetblooms were sweetblooms. Thistle flowers on the other hand were tricky. You never knew where they'd turn up. But this deal with Saidar and imagining flowers blooming was all great for the others, but what Ray-ray really wanted to do was blow a hole in the ceiling with the One Power and maybe cover everyone with glittery bird feathers. And where was the cool stuff Cook kept telling her about, stopping the sun in its tracks and creating whole islands out of nothing. Ray-ray had made up her mind to Bond the Creator and maybe deal with the Dark One before the week was over. And that Black Tower or whatever it was called, there was no end of wicked plans for that.

She had been told that, to succeed, you needed goals. And Light be damned if she was going to just aim to be a flower blooming in the sun.

“Pay attention please.” Ray-ray almost bit her tongue when she realized that was directed at her. She wanted to badly to return to her room for a snooze, but the Accepted was staring at her now, and that was not a good thing.

“Yes, Accepted.” She responded, with a dazzling smile. Her mind tried again to focus on being a rose. A blue rose. A rose like any other, except it was blue. And very big. Probably attracted all kinds of bees. Also, bees were great for honey. And she was hungry. Honey on toast with bits of dried salmon flakes and cured chicken feet. A sandwich to die for! Her mouth salivated at the thought. But again she tried to draw herself back to the matter at hand. A rose. Many petals. Probably hiding a caterpillar somewhere. Maybe a frog. Or a fried carrot cake. Fried carrot cake. With some crab roe and seaweed sauce. Oh, Light, why isn’t it lunch time yet?

She sighed. And poked her finger in her ear, rubbed her temple, and tried again.

((OOC: Sorry about the delay.))

Glancing at the other students, and at the Accepted, Maryam swallowed the lump in her throat, at the thought of learning to CHANNEL! She looked Saline Sedai in the eye, and said, "Well, actually several questions, if it pleases milady. Why did Lately Sedai refuse to help the Dragon? I understand not wanting to work with men who can channel but for something like killing the Dark One, it do seem like the sort of compromise someone might make. If she did help the Dragon, would the Dark One have tainted both saidar and saidin? What was Later Sedai's plan to deal with the Dark One? It sounds like they thought that the Dragon would fail, which would suggest they must have had at least an inkling of a plan themselves. What exactly is the taint of saidin? If it's lasted all this time, does that mean that the Dark One is still loose? Does he channel the One Power himself? How do you make a fireball? Why does being Red Ajah mean you have a specific interest in this? Why would the Dark One taint saidin to make men go mad instead of just killing th... oh, never mind that one. I do think I see that one. Why is that the symbol for the One Power? Does it have any power itself? Why are you wearing trousers like a man?"

Maryam clapped her mouth closed, realizing she'd probably said a little more than she'd intended, and was rather startled to find herself standing tall. Her mind tracked back over the last couple minutes, and she realized what she'd asked. Cheeks reddening, she took a seat, positive that everyone in the room was thinking she was a goose-brained ninny. Light, SHE thought she was a goose-brained ninny. How many lashes in Pia Sedai's office would this have earned her? Ears burning, she listened quietly, eyes focused on the desk in front of her.

Knytiri stared, in open, slack-jawed amazement, the last question Maryam had asked echoing over nad over again in her mind. "Why are you wearing trousers like a man?"

She didn't know if she wanted to laugh, or hang her head and try to avoid any and all notice as the Accepted and Aes Sedai answered her questions. She was quite sure, however, by glancing at Maryam's quickly reddening cheeks and ears, that the girl hadn't quite meant to ask so many questions.

Suddenly, this lesson didn't seem boring at all, not in the least. She cast a small grin at Amadine, and spotted Ray-Ray, staring at a shiny spot on the wall. Light, but the girl was easily distracted.. it was adorable.

Then she decided she had best focus on the lesson at hand, closing her eyes, imagining the rosebud. It was something very close to this that she had read that lead to obtaining saidar. Serenity in one's self, the book had said, was essential for channeling. So she cleared her mind, as she had done often as a girl back home, and thought of nothing. Only, back home, she hadn't been in the Tower. She didn't know she actually could channel. She hadn't had an Aes Sedai and an Accepted standing over her, to watch and teach as was necessary. She hadn't had... any of that. Here she did.

Quickly the rosebud formed in her mind. Pretty and pink, just the way she liked roses, opening slowly, the sun's light casting over the petals...

Nothing happened. Not even a spark flew from her fingertips.

Frowning slightly to herself, she shook her head, rubbed her eyes, and tried again. This time she felt almost as if the sun had opened up on her instead, a bried wisp of warmth stealing down her spine... her eyes shot open, and for a split second she could have sworn everything was glowing. It was all so much.. brighter, and vibrant. then it was gone, completely, leaving her feeling almost drained.

Blinking a few times, she wrinkled her nose, thought for a second, and then tried again.

Listening as the girl shared her questions, Saline managed to suppress a twitch at the mention of Lately Sedai. Never before had she ever heard Latra Posae Decume’s name like so; she wanted the first time to also be the last. Still Saline had encouraged questioning, and there was no point in giving room for misconceptions where the truth would do, even if the topic is a bit unconventional. Normally she would suggest more research, as research sharpened memory, but there were few libraries in the land with that sort of information. It follows the children of Maryam’s background would likely not have access to them before coming to learn here, and yet there was a look about some of her novices of . . . a look of . . .

Saline pushed the wondering aside. She set her mind to work, searching.

The proposition made by Maryam that Latra Sedai’s Fateful Concord undermined the Dragon Lews Therin Telamon’s plan was a common one. Some scholars speculated that the Dark One would have, as Maryam suggested, tainted both halves of the Source. Others claimed there would not be a taint in the first place. But that was all with the knowledge that the Dragon had succeeded in his plan to strike at Shayol Ghul. By cowardice or courage, though, the female Aes Sedai were saved from the taint, and it was important to know why.

Saline said clearly, “the Age of Legends came to pass, fading to myths long forgotten when the Wheel gave birth to a new Age. The War of Power, called War of the Shadow, was marked by the Dark One’s attempts to break from his prison and walk the world free.  To him he gathered powerful allies who used the Source to war. Many discoveries were made of the Source for warring purposes, but none more so frightening than balefire, a lost weave which unravelled the very patterns of the Time. Although both sides looked to the Source as the means to end all wars, balefire had been banned not long into the Age. It was so terrible that even the Thirteen would not touch balefire.”

“Even so, the forces of the Dark were great. The Dark One would use trollocs and other manufactured beasts to overpower territories. lthough the Dragon was powerful, he and the forces of the light were pushed back. Even his most trusted men, later known as Demandred, Sammael, turned against him. As the Shadow’s strength rose, the Dragon became desperate for an offensive that would end the war.”

“A plan emerged. The Aes Sedai agreed to use one female, one male sa’angreal to make another prison around the Bore, which would permit the Dark One to reach so far as Shayol Ghul but nowhere else. In theory these sa’angrael were so immense that either channellers handling them would be able to draw enough of the Source to break the world. However, since nobody could survive that much Power pulsing through them, access key ter’angreal had to be made to shield the wielders. In which case, the male and female Aes Sedai would co-ordinate an attack after the access keys were complete.”

“However, armies in Sammael’s command invaded where the access keys were held, and although attempts were made to get the keys none succeeded. With the keys missing, and the Shadow on the offensive, an estimate was made—six more months and the world would be lost to darkness. The Dragon decided to propose his plan. He wanted to lead a circle of the most powerful male and female Aes Sedai to go in Shayol Ghul and reseal the Dark One’s prison. There was little chance any of them would return, even if they succeeded in sealing the prison with seven cuendillar discs used as focal points; furthermore the attempt to re-seal the prison might rip it open instead."

"The Hall of the Servants was at a deadlock, caught between the crunch for time and opposition to the risks. One of the Dragon’s biggest opposition in the Hall was Latra Posae, who believed such an attack could destroy the Pattern. Lews Therin and Latra Posae were both influential Aes Sedai in their own right, and before long all the female channellers had signed up for the Fateful Concord and worked on recovering the access keys which were never found, whereas Lews Therin went with a circle of male Aes Sedai known as the Hundred Companions. When they arrived at the Bore, the Dragon found the Thirteen waiting for him. Forty-five of the Hundred Companions were killed, but the Bore was sealed to the Dark One’s prison, trapping both the Dark One and the Thirteen.”

“Though the leadership for the Shadow was sealed away, and the War of Power was over, Lews Therin and the remaining Companions suffered a backlash at the moment of sealing, which slowly tainted saidin. Some say it was a deliberate attack from the Dark One, others claim it came from simply having been close to the Dark One’s source, which—to answer your question—is called the True Power. It is analogous to the Source we draw upon, only it is more addictive and you can only channel True Power with the Dark One’s blessing. It is more likely that as the Bore begins to widen it increases the Dark One’s ability to affect the world, but no, thankfully he is not loose from his prison.”

“In any case, Lews Therin and the men went mad from the taint on saidin, wrecking and killing, moving mountains and causing earthquakes. Stories of their terrible deeds spread quickly. The Dragon earnt the name Kinslayer from slaying everybody with even a drop of his blood. Slowly, the other males noticed something different, although the taint did not immediately affect the way they channelled. But everything they created turned to darkness as one by one the male Aes Sedai went mad.”

“Ogiers wrote of some men who prolonged the Breaking by hiding in Steddings, where they could not channel. Perhaps these men really hoped to hold on long enough so they could be saved, or healed, or at least die there, going through what’s left of their lives without touching the Source. In a Stedding they could do no damage, it was only when they leave the Ogier Sanctuary that the danger of going mad espoused, but sooner or later the males left. And eventually all the male Aes Sedai perished, from the madness of the taint or hunted down to protect our world from its Breaking. With Lews Therin gone, Latra Posae rose to prominence in the fight against the Shadow, although with the leaders gone, the Shadow often as not fought each other as well as the light. Latra earnt the name Shadar Nor, Cutter of the Shadow, but she died some time during the Breaking, when exactly nobody knows. Some speculate Latra Sedai had unnumbered encounters with the men who suffered from the taint inside the Steddings, claiming any fool knows that a quick cut was the best. This is, until recently, the Red Ajah’s mission, to help the men who can channel in any capacity necessary in order to prevent another Breaking and preserve our culture. The Green Ajah, on the other hand, prepare for the Last Battle. Although, you will do well to keep in mind, just because you have the power to make something happen, doesn’t mean you should.

Deliberately on the last line her voice rang echoing through the room like a bell. No source-induced amplification, just healthy lungs to drive home the point.

“Let’s see I think I’ve skipped a question. Ah, how do you make a fireball . . . I would douse a rag in kerosene and launch it at a candle, I would. And I have just the thing for it too. Devised a cat-apult for my second chore as a novice, the first was gardening. Hmm, the symbol is powerful, for it is representative of the seals that imprison the Dark One and the Thirteen. Remember this if nothing else from to-day, we were all Aes Sedai, male and female and our highest command has a full title: the Watcher of the Seals, the Flame of Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat.”

She looked thoughtfully at Maryam and seemed about to say more, but instead she only nodded slowly.

"I grew up in a very conservative household in Elmera, Tarabon. I first started wearing breeches when I was a young accepted doing weapon training under Lyssa Gaidar and Corwin Gaidin. They are useful for moving about, although considerably less stylish than just going around in tights."

There were still a few minutes left of class. "Is there anything else you would like to ask?"

Edit: Please post reactions to the rose exercises. Could you briefly touch the Source? How many tries? Or were you unsuccessful at all? What sort of imagery or hand motions did you do? Are there any tricks you tried before coming to the Tower? Or are you drooping a tad and falling asleep from the sun? Got any questions about why we use roses or the philosophy behind this particular method etc? Have fun with the RP and when that's up Salandrian will give the list of channellers for you guys to memorise but that's the next assignment :)

Sometimes life gives you lemons. Sometimes it gives you salt dinosaurs that simultaneously eat your family and spoil the earth so nothing will ever grow again. Tilly had never seen a rosebud, not very helpful; she wanted to give this whole business as much of a chance as she could.

Tilly closed her eyes and imagined a rosebud, or what she thought a rosebud might look like, which turned out to be something very similar in appearance to an average-sized dress button. Not that there was such a thing as an average-sized button, but there was such a thing as an average-sized button to her.

This was all rather flawed in her mind, she didn’t even know how petals were supposed to form from a rosebud, nor the steps negotiating there exposure. How was she expected to imagine something beyond her experience? After realising the question she’d just asked herself she felt rather stupid. She was smarter than that. Imagination was not restrained by experience; that’s why it was imagination.

Her rosebud blossomed like a soda bottle; splashes of bubbly water from a kitchen sink gathered and knitted. Her rose was now the colour of last week’s pot roast, which hadn’t been an attractive colour in even a pot roast.

The rose was hers. Definitely. It smelt like hot water and grease, and looked like hot water and grease. The smell, while not beautifully fragrant was comforting. It reminded her of home. The rose was hers, right? So be it. The Frankenstein of roses, pieced together by chunks of her.

She felt something inside her, a warmth mistakenly attributed to fond memories of her youth. The result was the same. She held onto the sensation, letting herself bathe in a pool of warmth and grease roses.

If you’ve ever been dumb enough to start a bonfire then poor gasoline on it you’ll know what happens next. The fumes of her soul ignited, and Saidar filled her. She felt thrust forward by many feet, everything closer and louder and more . . . just more. Every nerve in her body tingled with pleasure, the world’s greatest massage, and her spirit felt connected to things in a way that defied explanation.

And then, as the fumes ignite in a sudden burst so do they extinguish and Tilly plummeted back into the confines of her own blind, deaf, feeble little shell. She gasped, very loudly, horrified at the sudden crude perception of her body and the urge to be free of herself.

Feeling much relieved after the Aes Sedai apparently took no offense, Maryam shook her head, staring wide-eyed at the Aes Sedai. Glancing at Salandrian - Light, the woman didn't have to scowl so, just because she was Accepted - she closed her eyes and calmed her breathing. A rose? It would be enough of a start to gain some semblance of focus. Maryam thought of mother. No, not mother. Gram. It would be Gram, now. Mother was a coward, a scoundrel. Light, what kind of woman would abandon her own daughter and... This wasn't helping. Focus on Gram. Maryam fixed Gram's smile in her mind, and the feel of the woman's hug, like when she had to stop crying in the Lady's house. Slow breathing. Blank mind. Focus.

Mind calm and clear, Maryam pulled open the drawer with the most recent instructions. She was a rosebud opening to the dawn sun, on a bright summer morning, ready for the warmth on her face. The flower filled her, the rich, thick scent sending a slight shiver down her spine. Hands calm and flat on her lap, feet flat on the floor. Calm, focused. She closed the drawer, opened her eyes, and looked up to the window, smiling at the shining sun. It filled her, warmed her, the wild rose she was. Humming to herself a song her father had taught her, she opened, stretched, reached, embraced the sun, and suddenly, it was flowing into her, filling her with life, with richness and beauty. Oh, light, the wild rose, the rose, the Rose...

Her voice, soft and warm, clear and rich, began to sing a song her father had taught her years before, one she always thought of in connection with flowers.

"I ambled down yon riverside, to see my one true love.

The brook had overflowed the banks, with heavy clouds above.

My lady love, she loved the stream, she loved the rocks below.

And though the rain come pelting down, she'd out in it, I know, I know.

My rose, my rose, she's sleeping still, her hair as red as blood.

With skin so soft, she pricks me yet, a'lyin in the mud.

When thunder crash and lighting strike, she's swept away in flood,

and there she lies, I close her eyes, my sweet, my lost rosebud.

I wandered up, and wandered down, all for me love to find.

I crossed that river, wide and strong, a-worried out me mind.

When clouds they parted for the sun, and lit for me that lass,

I ran to her, and knelt beside that still form on the grass, the grass.

My rose, my rose, she's sleeping still, her hair as red as blood.

With skin so soft, she pricks me yet, a'lyin in the mud.

When thunder crash and lighting strike, she's swept away in flood,

and there she lies, I close her eyes, my sweet, my lost rosebud."

With a start, Maryam looked around at staring faces. Oh, light, she'd SUNG, hadn't she? This is why she didn't let her mind wander.

Ray-ray wrinkled her nose and tried again. Somehow the sun had gotten dimmer, probably an indication of a rainy afternoon. But its energy leeching effects had been reduced somewhat. And for that Ray-ray was pleased. Her mind imagined a rose. Pink. For that was her favourite colour. And something about it opening to the sun? Light, the sun’s too bright. Still… if that’s what they want…

She imagined a bee. And a butterfly. And then a whole flock of hummingbirds. And failed absolutely to associate her rose with the sun whatsoever.  Groaning inwardly, she tried again. A rose. Hummingbirds. Singing. Singing? Ray-ray opened her eyes and stared at Maryam beside her. The girl was singing something. It sounded nice, and Ray-ray did like a good voice. She stared at the girl, until the Accepted stood next to her and cleared her throat loudly. Nasty father hugging monkey. Ray-ray was starting to find the Accepted a bit of a bother.

She sighed. She was practically seeing stars with all the imagining. She wrinkled her nose and tried to think of something else. Perhaps some other less… distracting flower. Or a leaf. Like a cabbage. Which was really a flower that was made of leaves. Or something. She nodded to herself. She would be a cabbage. Green, leafy and loving the sun. And then…

Crap. Cabbages didn’t bloom. NOW what? Burn me if I fail this stupid exercise. Alright, enough of this butter-headedness. Flower. A rose, many-petaled and deep, deep red. Sun. A ball of fire, hot against the pale blue sky. Bright light and heat. Infusing the flower. Bearing the warmth like a hot water bottle. Petals. Slowly opening, a bud that absorbed the very essence of- essence of- She felt it. She felt it! An actual, overwhelming sense of wonder. A warmth. Of pure life. Pure, pure life. Filling her, and bearing her. A candle flame glowing in the fire of the sun. Warmth, warmth, warmth…

And was gone. Light, what was that? Was that... She opened her eyes slowly and glanced at the Aes Sedai, ignoring the look on the Accepted’s face. And she knew. She had found Saidar. She could be Aes Sedai after all.

Amadine listened carefully and took notes on the history of Saidar. Ama glanced around the room and saw Ray-ray - distracted by the view of the trees outside the window. Kny gave her a small smile while keeping her eyes down at her desk.

Then the Aes Sedai began telling them about picturing a rosebud in their mind.

Amadine closed her eyes and tried to imagine a rose bud. She grimaced. Roses made her sneeze. Nonethless she pictured a blood red rosebud in her mind. She imagined the rosebud and tried to see it opening slowly, stretching out...

Suddenly Amadine was distracted by someone singing, singing? In class? The Accepted cleared her throat and Maryam's face reddened like she hadn't even realised that she was singing. Amadine stuffed her fist in her mouth to cover a giggle. She was going to get herself in real trouble if she couldn't stop laughing at the antics of her friends.

Amadine closed her eyes again. The rosebud, be the rosebud, the deep red rosebud, imagine the scent... and she sneezed. *Darn roses! I never did like them* she thought. She closed her eyes again, and this time she imagined a bright pink gerbera, like the ones she and her mother had grown in the window boxes in front of her mother's dressmaking store. She smiled picturing the tightly curled petals on the bud, she could see the petals begin to unfurl. She could feel the warmth of the sun on the petals... hang on a minute?! Warmth? The thought distracted her and she glanced around again. All the other girls her sitting at the desks, eyes closed with looks on concentration on their faces.

Again Amadine closed her eyes. She saw the gerbera bud. She was the gerbera bud. She felt her petals unfurl. And they did she felt the warmth of the sun on her petals. She basked in the warmth for a few minutes as her petals opened to reveal a gerbera at full bloom. The warm sun shined on her, it filled her. Amadine felt more alive than ever for a few seconds and then it was gone.

Try as she might Amadine could not concentrate enough to bring back the image. Her head sagged, why was she so tired all of a sudden?

Sensing the girls channelling here and there, Saline took the attendance sheet and carefully paired a new set of names to the names on the sheet. Though the red still offered advice and stopped what she was doing to help the girls through the exercise, she mostly focused on her own thing while Salandrian led the novices. It seemed every time Saline came back to the Tower, there have been marked improvements on the part of the accepted. And it was a change that the red welcomed in the accepted.

But another voice diverted that of the class leader.  

Looking up from her task, Saline wondered with some dismay if it would become a block. When Maryam sang, a steady glow enveloped her. But her hold on saidar passed as soon as the novice stopped singing, as she sat blinking her lashes at the startled class and Saline.

“That tune that you were humming to yourself is very pretty. I don’t think I have ever heard it before, but you have the voice for it“ Saline said, adopting a quiet smile, “and that was good touching the source, Maryam. You followed Salandrian’s directions, relaxed, and here we are.”

She handed the list back to the accepted and then surveyed the faces around her showing various aftermaths of their first conscious attempts at touching the Source. When the power is taken away, they will face temptation.  

“This marks the first time you consciously touched the Source. If anybody has already taught you to touch the Source in the novice quarters, you will refrain from doing so again. Unless an accepted or sister is present, and you have their permission to touch the Source. If you ever break this rule, you will go to Pia Sedai at once.”

“The reason for this is because of how addictive the Source is. It enhances your senses like nothing else in this world. Even as you touch it, you must resist drawing more than you are able to handle. You risk burning out your ability to channel, even death.”

That had put a bit of downer on things, but Saline was not about to let it last. “But, because you are here, I trust you all not to do anything so foolish as to jeopardize yourself and the others around you.”

“When we use saidar we act as its conduit and shape it as it flows through us, to guide it into performing tasks. This is called channelling.” Smiling as the warmth filled her, Saline embraced the Source for the first time upon entering the class. Tall, purple flames crackled above the palm of her hand . . . a petty, but entertaining trick for her students. “Since saidar has been spared from the taint, you can use it to restore order to a world broken by saidin. Use it prudently, and you can achieve many great things.”

“Control will come, with the turning of the Wheel. But I have kept you enough for now, you have other affairs to attend. As you leave please ask Salandrian for the names next to your own names. You each have been assigned a different name, but with a little collaborative research, you shall see what all of these people have in common. Salandrian can direct you if you do not know where the library doors are.”

OOC: Those of you who still need to post, just catch up and you're good. The rest of you can finish up the class with any thoughts about the list of burnt out channellers (feel free to make up names and their histories), and my next lesson will place us two weeks into the future. ;D

So maybe . . . someone could move a mountain after all. Tilly felt less sure of her doubt in the radiant face of Saidar. She could deny it all, true, even having felt it and knowing better but it would be hollow doubt, outer-doubt as a form of defiance; Tilly was not a defiant girl—yet, there is still time—and she was cautiously intrigued.

Saline Sedai spoke truth. She felt it herself the moment she had released the source. Her body yearned for it; her substance lessened by its departure and feelings confused. There was definite danger there. Tilly could never have imagined feeling so good and could see how such a feeling would become a draught for the world’s pains. She sorely wished to experience it again.

Not being allowed to embrace the source without supervision made some sense . . . was there some way to force another person to let it go? Supervision would be pointless in a crisis unless there was some way to impose a disconnection. No one had mentioned it, and Tilly was too shy to ask; however, she was sure she would find out eventually.

It was hard to think there could be more to all this than the sublime sensation, but it was only the first step? That was amazing, and slightly concerning, would not the sensation prove a distraction? Could she safely do anything while holding? If her senses were to be enriched, did that include the tactile? She would test for herself . . . next time she had permission.

Amadine listened to Saline Sedai carefully, though her innver voice was chattering excitedly *Oh Light! I channelled! I am going to be Aes Sedai!*

Amadine could not wait to try again! She was going to try as soon as she got back to her rooms! Just then she heard Saline Sedai say “This marks the first time you consciously touched the Source. If anybody has already taught you to touch the Source in the novice quarters, you will refrain from doing so again. Unless an accepted or sister is present, and you have their permission to touch the Source. If you ever break this rule, you will go to Pia Sedai at once.”

She went on explaining that they must not channel alone as the feeling of Saidar was addictive, that if they drew in too much of the source they could burn out their own channelling abilty, or even kill themelves. Amadine was not sure which would be worse, after feeling Saidar filling her body, feeling more alive than ever before, seeing colours brighter, she felt that now, without the source, she was seeing a dull comparison of the real world.

As the lesson came to a close Saline Sedai told them to see the Accepted Saladrian on the way out to be given a name. A name on which they would have to research, and find a reason that the name each girl had had something in common.

Saline Sedai left the classroom and Amadine turned to speak to Knytiri but saw Saladrian glaring at her instead. She rose from her desk and filed out of the the classroom past Saladrian who handed her piece of paper. In a neat hand was written Mystarien Algada.

Amadine made her way to the Library and made her way through the large doors with gilded handles. She glanced around and could see several Aes Sedai deep in discussion, seated at a table around what appeared to be some kind of manuscript. Amadine saw a lone Aes Sedai with an armful of books come around the end of the nearest shelving unit. She recognised her by sight as one of the Brown sisters who's sole goal in life was to amass as much written information as possible and prolong the life of said information for as long as possible.

"Excuse me Aes Sedai" Amadine said politely, dipping in a deep curtsey, "Could you tell me where i might find information on Mystarien Algada?"

She smiled at Amadine and replied "Ah child, you've begun your study of the One Power have you?" Amadine nodded. "The records of stilled and burned out sisters are on the fourth and fifth shelves of the sixth shelving unit after the first wide aisle on the left hand side."

Ama made her way down to the shelves the Aes Sedai had directed her to. The books were shelved alphabetically by title, Ama ran a finger done the spines of the larger books and chose a large green leather bound book at random. Carefully she checked the index at the back of the book and sure enough there was an entire chapter dedicated to Mystarien Algada. She turned the book back up the right way and read the title "A History of Channellers Burned Out" by Mirandeth Sedai of the Brown Ajah. Amadine wondered to herself if Mirandeth Sedai was still alive. Probably not she decided, the book looked very old.

She took the large book to a table near the centre of the Library and turned to the section about Mystarien Algada. Amadine read through the entire section with her mouth gaping open and then went back to re-read the section and began taking notes.

*Mystarien Algada; Born 730NE, Sealed to the Tower as a Novice 745NE, Raised to Accepted 757NE, Raised to the Shawl 771NE, Burned Out 774NE, Died 776NE.

*Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah

*Primarily studied Ter'angreal

*Was found unconscious in her study with a Ter'angreal of unknown use in her hand.

*When she awakened 4 days later she could no longer channel.

*Refused to leave the White Tower, though encouraged to find a man and marry.

*Mystarien Algada slowly went mad spending her time divided between wandering the gardens and begging Yellow Sisters to Heal her.

*Mystarien stopped eating, she ceased to have the will to live and passed away only 2 years after being burned out.

Amadine sat deep in thought at the table, flipping through the book reading more about sisters that had burned the ability out of themselves. No wonder Saline Sedai was so insistant that she not try alone. She realised that the Brown Sisters were beginning to light the lamps and if she did not hurry she would miss out on her supper. She hurriedly gathered her notes and placed the large green book back where she had got it from and headed off to put her things away.

Ray-ray scratched her chin and stared at the list of male channelers. IT made little sense to her and part of her wanted to scream in boredom. It was great knowing there were plenty of males channeling over the last one thousand years, but now there was a whole gathering of them in the so-called Black Tower. So it made little sense to Ray-ray why they would need to bother learning about the past, when the present was so bleak. She decided the Red Ajah was not for her. If anything, it seemed to be the anti-thesis that she would imagine herself to be.

Saidar. Ray-ray listened with half a mind as  the Accepted and the Aes Sedai dribbled on about how the Source was a temptation and a danger to uncontrolled minds. Ray-ray had no idea why anyone would worry about it when it was already so tiring to just touch it.

No channeling without Aes Sedai. No channeling without Accepted. No channeling without this. Without that. Ray-ray rolled her eyes. Everybody was so touchy about channeling. And as far as she knew there were those vows not to hurt people with the Power or anything. What was the point? Being born with the ability and spending the rest of your life trying to suppress it; avoiding the gift that the Creator gave you as if it were some sort of flea beaten dog.  It was totally pointless. Pointless. Her gaze drifted out of the window and onto the gardens beyond.

She still had no idea what she was going to do with this gift.

But she didn’t have time to think too much, for the lesson ended and the sun had set. The sun is setting already? Light, what time is it? Jumping out of her chair, she hurried off just as the rest of the classroom cleared. It was time for supper.

Salandrian watched the novices faces grow terrified as Saline lectured them on the dangers of saidar. Even after years of using it, albeit infrequently, she had become less afraid of touching it, but the lure of it was always there. Even now, the ultimate pleasure she felt from it teased the back of her mind. It called to her, however quietly, but she resisted. Some called it 'sweetness' yet to Salandrian it was more wondrous than sweet- it was pure exhilaration. She had never felt so alive as when using the One Power.

It surprised her when she felt it in the room. She looked up at Saline Sedai and saw that she was only entertaining the students. She couldn't help but smile to herself when she saw the looks on the novices faces as the purple flames danced in her hands. For some of them who before coming to the tower had no clue what Aes Sedai really did, she could image that they would be surprised, even frightened. Yet being Aes Sedai was much more than using the Power, Salandrian had learned. What exactly else it required, she was still learning.

As the lesson came to a close, the novices filed into a line and stood to receive the name they were assigned to. "I will be available to help you immediately following this class," she told the girls in their line. "Wait outside the classroom, and we will go to the Library together. I will be available to answer questions then and there." As the novices filed through, she gave them the names of Aes Sedai who had burned themselves out, though they didn't know that yet. After the good part of a quarter-hour, saying, repeating and spelling names, a group of ten or so novices remained to follow her to the Library.

"Follow me. Do not fall behind."

The towers of books loomed ahead as Salandrian stood underneath the doors of the library watching the somewhat familiar novices enter. "I can assist you in finding books that will have these sisters...ahem!" She corrected herself "...these women's stories'. Or you can ask the Aes Sedai who work in this Depository."

Salandrian Faerhind

The part of the lesson Yovela had been dreading came.  The Accepted, Salandrian, was asking them to do something beyond just listening to the lesson.  What made no sense to Yovela at all is how exactly closing her eyes and imagining a flower had anything to do with touching the Source.  It was just a flower, right?  Just a rosebud.  She closed her eyes. 

Her uncle had brought her aunt roses once and it had been fascinating to watch the small buds open into big full flowers.  They were a soft lemony yellow and smelled faintly peppery.  On the first day they had been tight like little walnuts and each day the bloom swelled until a week later it was as big as her palm.  Yovela thought about those roses, choosing one to focus on when Salandrian said to feel the sun on the petals.  Her aunt had placed the vase of roses near a window and she could still remember being the first one downstairs one morning and seeing the dawn's light touching the soft petals.  It was a moment of beauty, one quickly ended by her uncle's appearance on the stairs and his harsh demands of why she wasn't in the kitchen boiling water already. 

Today she didn't have to let the memory of her uncle ruin her enjoyment of the memory of the rose.  She ignored the Accepted droning on and on and kept her mind on the roses and the way the sun made their petals almost glow.  The thought filled her with contentment and a certain kind of joy, something she was certain she would never find in the halls of the White Tower.  The tiny reminder of where she was ended the happy memory and her image of the rose was overtaken by her fears.

She tried to bring the memory of the rose back, but she was tired and frustrated by her circumstances.  Oh, and there was the singing.  These other novices made no sense to Yovela.  What was there to sing about here?  Not that the girl didn't have a pretty voice, but she seemed almost happy to be learning to be a witch.  Yovela was beginning to suspect that everyone here was insane.

She started when she heard Saline Sedai say, "That was good touching the source, Maryam."  Is that what they were doing?  Is that what this rose talk was about?  But how did visualizing a rose have anything to do with touching the source?  And the Aes Sedai seemed to be implying that they all had done it.  Even me? Yovela wondered, trying to ignore the small part of her that felt the truth of it. 

She listened to Saline's comments about Saidar and its addictive properties with only half her mind as the other half reviewed the moments when she had focused on her own rosebud.  She was brought back into the moment and let out a squeak when Saline began to glow and then shot violet flames from her hand.  Would she ever see someone channel  without that feeling of ants crawling down her spine?  She was afraid she wouldn't and she already knew that they intended to keep her here for years and years.  Could she survive it untainted?  She was beginning to suspect she could not.

She followed suit when her classmates stood and filed towards Accepted Salandrian.  She took the paper with her name on it when it was given and meekly followed with the group headed to the library.  Books she could handle, even if they were about channeling and women who could channel.  She looked at the first name on her list and opened a book.