DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

the great stump

Frost Wynters

whats with the ogier, are we going to find out what they've been up to, during the great stump. and could THIS be what brandon sanderson  said we were missing? i believe it started around book 4.

The question under discussion is mentioned in KoD.  The ogier are debating on weather or not to leave the earth before Tarmon Gaidon.

whats with the ogier, are we going to find out what they've been up to, during the great stump.

Given the build up I'm certain we will see Loial's dealings with the Great Stump.

and could THIS be what brandon sanderson  said we were missing? i believe it started around book 4.

No. The Ogier are discussing fleeing the Earth, and that was not mentioned until KoD.

Wait... what?  Leave the world?  I missed that the first time around.

Like the end of the Lord of the Rings?

Yes, the Ogier are not indigenous to the World in which the story takes place. They come from a Parallel world (akin to that of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn). They are currently considering opening something called the 'Book of Translations' and leaving this world to return to their own (which apparently they believe they must do, someday).

What exactly the Book of Translations is, is not known. It has been noted that a 'translation' is a mathematical term referring to moving a dot from one side of a line to the other, and that those who created the Portal Stones linking the Mirror Worlds were those who 'knew the Numbers of Chaos', again a mathematical reference.

There are at least two ways to interpret 'translations'.  One of them is the mathematical way (moving a dot/line/polygon/etc to another place).  The other way relates to language (re-phasing a word/sentence/etc in terms of the other's language).

The Book of Translations seems to be a terangreal.  I take it does not necessarily bring the Ogiers back to their own world, but to some random world.

And maybe the Ogiers immediately understand the language of that world.

Archived