DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

young kids and gaming

Pookie

I'm not the kind of parent who sits and plays games and expects my kids to not.  In fact, I tend to think that gaming is good for brain development, so I encourage it.  That said, MAN is it a pain in the butt sometimes!

My 7 year old got this game for Christmas... World of Goo.  He thinks it's the best thing ever.  He comes home from school and immediately wants to play it.  He wants to play it straight on until bedtime.  (We tend to frown on that...)

Trouble is, his 3 year old brother is obsessed with the game as well.  And HE wants to play it.  But it's really not a game for a three year old brain.  He can copy the easy ones once he's seen them done a time or two, but it's inevitable that somewhere in there we'll hear "Daddy..." and then a request for help.  Now normally I wouldn't be irritated when they ask Daddy because, hey, they're not asking me.  However, they want to bug Daddy while he's working and Daddy doesn't much care for that and after it happens a few times there are usually a few harsh words for Mommy. 

So today we're trying Mario Kart for the 3 year old.  There's still a good deal of "Mommy, can you help me?" and whining about wanting to be a rocket when he hasn't used whatever bonus thing he already has, but he's content to tool around for the most part and feels like he's a "big boy" because his brother likes this game too.

Anyone else have any good stories about playing games with young kids?  I'd love to hear other successes and woes or even an "OMG you let your kids game?  That's so cool!"  Too many people think gaming rots your brain or makes kids violent or whatever, but I read Discover.  :P  http://discovermagazine.com/2005/jul/brain-on-video-games/article_view?searchterm=video%20games%20benefits&b_start:int=0  Addictive, but not brain rotting.  :)

I let my just turned 4 year old play the Wii. She LOVES playing Wii music, and the improv part is perfect for her, because you just shake the remote around in imitation of the instrument you are playing, and she's actually learned a lot about the different kinds of instruments there are. I also bought Animal Crossing City folk, which is a really stupid game, but she seems content to just move the little person around every which way.

Another game she's actualyl really good at is the Soccer and Hula Hooping on Wii Fit. She gets it, and crazy enough it has really helped with her balance and coordination.

So yeah, I'm also a mom that thinks video games are fine with kids, in moderation. :)

• 7 months later...

You REALLY should not allow young children to play video games (young being 1-10). It does improve motor skills in that one respect (video games), but cognition goes right down the drain in terms of critical thinking, verbal, and written skills. A simple observation: after all, what child would want to do something as boring and mentally strenuous as reading or solving a puzzle when they have that fun video game to go to ? The only people who I have met who played video games in their youth and still have excellent cognitive ability are those who played scantly either through their own imposed control or their parents', or those who did not get a gaming system until after they were thirteen for whatever reason and had to entertain themselves on books or television, like myself. I still do not play too much games; as a writer, I notice a dramatic decline in my ability to use words fluently and creatively in my work the times I decided to get myself drunk on electronic devices. Oh, I can still write, and answer my professor's critical thinking questions; but instead of writing something masterful, I write something of exceedingly poor quality that I always have to change later once I repair the digression caused. Video games do not affect the ability to do math, though, as a good point; but if you want a child to do more with that math, like developing their own theories, I would not suggest playing video games as a past time.

I have to say that I quite agree with Ikkarus. Children should be out stretching their minds, exploring nature, running around playing football or baseball and discovering the natural world for themselves. While videogames don't actually "rot the mind", if started at an early age, they can create habits that will continue on into adulthood. I sure don't want my kid playing video games and lazing around the house and then continue to do so up until college and into adulthood. If there's one thing necessary to learn that videogames don't teach, it's self-discipline and moral fiber. Those come from interacting with nature, with children, and doing life. Maybe I'll have one videogame night a week where my kids can play for a few hours - but that's all. I didn't own a videogame until I was 12 or 13, and even then I had to buy it with my savings and was allowed about an hour (if that) a day. On the other hand, my nextdoor neighbor spent a good deal of time playing video games. I was a quiet, funny, moralistic kid who didn't fight, was nice to everyone (except my sister), and explored the world. My neighbor was big, a complete douchebag with a temper that can only come from losing in videogames one-too-many times, and was constantly picking fights with me, or physically doing something violentish. And while childhood brawls are normal for boys, throwing pieces of chalk at someones head when upset, aren't.

I don't know, maybe I'm just a romantic and see childhood as running through woods and playing ball in the park/cul-de-sac, but I just can't rationalize children playing videogames.

I think the arguments against it are all a bunch of blah blah. I played video games... still do. Sure, I procrastinate like hell, but not many people can get a fifteen page paper done in one night and get an 'A' when they are a sophomore in college taking a Senior lvl class.

I'm not going to try and say this is because of video games, but they clearly weren't that negative in my case, and school isn't a motivative factor for me, nor are grades. Grades are another "blah blah" thing that mean nothing, but that's a rant for another thread. Now we could say that I was playing stragegy games and such rather than "World of Goo" (which sounds like a game that I wouldn't even touch :P ) But come now... they're young. Playing an RTS is something most adults can't get into no matter how long they spent exploring nature and whatnot ;) (Granted, I like nature. Nature is good. I hike, canoe, camp [Real camping... like minus the gigantic "campers" and doodads of society, and without being 3 minutes from a toilet/shower :P ] etc) Sports I hardly find a stretch of the mind. Truley, sports I find to be inanly ridiculous in most aspects, namely for young children, often starting them down a path that isn't really all that beneficial or useful (Again, I know the exceptions. a girl 2 years ahead of me won State in track, and she's won nationals, and she's tried out for the US Olympic team several times, missing it by 2 places or so on her first try).

Video games, like anything, defy the categorical definitions of "good" and "bad" They cannot make anyone anything, remove abilities, or give abilities. What enables progession or degression is the mindset and environment (notably family members and their attitudes) of the player. I'm mostly self taught. I didn't waste time with TV, but I read, played video games, went outside. I thought for myself and still do. There's no reason for a video game to regress anyone. If it is used as a thought stimulant, it can be amazingly progressive. If you're just going to sit there and numb out of life "playing" a video game, it's not like numbing life doing anything else is going to do anything better. :P And if you can approach reading, tv, or being outside with enthusiasm and be stimulated, why could you not do the same with VGs?

VGs are much like SciFi/Fantasy. They get a bad rap because people don't want to think about them or certain issues. many feel that we have enough problems in RL, why go to something artificial that doesn't benefit those in the "Real World." Whereas I have seen scifi/fantasy/games attempt to tackle the bigger picture, the real problems in society, individuals, culture, et al in today's world. They are all tools for evaluation of ourselves and others that have the inate ability to expand beyond the norm and present things in different ways. I would value VGs on par with Books. If you knew me, you'd know that I'm a fanatic about books, at least the ones I like. Some with VGs. Granted, there are mind numbing games out there, as there are mind numbing books, and mind numbing TV. Mind numbing scifi even (star trek *shudders and snickers at the Trekkys' faces* Yeah, I hate it. Though the older ones are best, but that's not saying much).

Point being, VGs are no different than anything else... lets use mountain climbing as a parallel. If you approach either with thought and continued brain usage, it can be stimulating and bring success. If you want to be mind numbed while doing it, you'll probably ruin your life.

Back to specifics, all of which is probably beyond the scopes in regards to young children, however, if made to think occasionally during their experience, they will grow to think on their own about what they are doing/experiencing and most probably learn on their own from it. And if you're a lucky parent, they'll talk to you about it sometime. Games are especially good if they have a lesson or real life application, it makes it easier for young kids to see what is meant to be seen in terms of themes and application... in essence they know what to think about. And gradually, with age they get games that have meaning, and themes, and lessons that aren't explicitly stated... but they can still pick them out, because they are thinking. Sounds like critical thinking to me. :D

In terms of writing, well games with and actual plot are beneficial there. You may not be working with words, but if you take the time to map out a story in your own words, you exercise the verbalisation ability along with the game.

Like I said... it all depends on attitude and just what you are trying to get out of VGs. Sometimes it's just fun and family time, other times you have to make something of it yourself, and not JUST sit and play. Ease kids into it. All play and no work (or thought) may come first, but that doesn't mean you have to keep it that way.

I agree, 12th regiment; it is not video games themselves that are the problem, it is the personality and the environment factoring in. To say otherwise would be like trying to say fast food is why people are getting very fat; it is the person's own compulsions built off of their experience.

And unfortunately, it is becoming a really big problem, since parents today seem to have an attitude that they can just set their child in front of the idiot box, maybe with a video game console, and let them off on their own, instead of investing the time to make sure they are moderated or varied in their activity. That, as I said, is really bad, for young children; they are still developing their personality and habits based on their environment, so it would not matter much if they might have had a propensity for creative thinking as told by related members of the family - if they are nurtured pretty much all on entertainment technology, their main form of inactive enjoyment (and sometimes it takes over physical activity, because video games are just so "fun") will be video games, and reading will become a scarce inclination to them. I know some people, and unfortunately, my youngest brother included, who pretty much read nothing but what they assign at school because they would rather play video games on down time, accounting for their extremely small vocabulary and irritation in having to solve problems that require a bit of logical reasoning.

i agree with 12th on this. the games they have comming out now are great for kids. there are plenty of learning and interactive games for parents to choose; as well as games centered around impvoing developmental skills such as Math, reading, spelling, coordination and others.

so long as the parent takes an active interest in the product, games and gaming consoles can be a great tool for improvement on their kid.

on a side note, check out this thread over in the Debates & Discussion board. below is a summary of the topic.

i got my newest issue of Game Informer in the mail last night and while flipping through it i found an interesting article. now the link is to a snipplet on their website, not the actual article, but i suggest for people who get the magazine to read the article they posted or stop by the local mag store or Game Stop and flip through to find it.

basically the California Gov sign a law that strengthens the restrictions of the sale & rental of voilent games to minors to “prevent violent, aggressive, and antisocial behavior and to prevent psychological or neurological harm to minors who play violent video games.”

3 federal courts have ruled in favor of the gammin industry against this law and it is set to be heard by the supreme court in Novemeber. the 9th circuit court ruled:

 first, that the language of the Act is unconstitutionally vague, and, second, that the Act violates Plaintiffs' rights under the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

the thread provides the actually law as well as links to the sources where i got the info from :) though this is California, 11 other states are looking to follow in California's footsteps should the supreme court rule in favor of the law.

i encourage all gamers to take an interest in this topic, as well as voice your opinion to the elected officals

I have to say that I firmly believe technology is ruining society and making life unlivable. Children should not be playing video games, they should be outside exploring the woods, playing sports, running around, interacting with other kids in a physical environment, learning about real life stimuli, reading books and not computer/tv screens, learning true mores, and not blowing shit up. I couldn't care less if gaming companies are coming out with "kid-friendly" games. I say that's bullshit. I say there's no such thing as a kid friendly game.

keep in mind, however, that I don't think games and computers are all bad. After my kid hits, let's say, 12 or 13, then I can't justify disallowing him/her to play video games, get a computer, etc. By then they should have developed the necessary skills and life-experience not to be completely destroyed by technology. I most certainly won't let them get a cellphone until high school, and might even make them pay for it themselves. Instant communication is killing human relationships...as well as the English Language and Grammar.

Children these days are suffering from a major problem: they are being forced to grow up way, way, way too early. Childhood is a beautiful and essential part of life that should be cherished and loved, not rushed through in an eager attempt to get to adulthood. TV, computer, video games, movies, and culture seem set on destroying childhood and forcing maturity onto kids when they shouldn't have a care in the world. It's terrible and disgusting and completely unnatural. Society is heading for a quick and utter destruction. I just hope we all understand exactly what a terrible thing we've done just before it blows up in our faces.

I may sound a little radical, but I truly believe that video games are not for children and should be heavily restricted (referring to Red's post) for violent content if the user is under a certain age.

I have to say that I firmly believe technology is ruining society and making life unlivable. Children should not be playing video games, they should be outside exploring the woods, playing sports, running around, interacting with other kids in a physical environment, learning about real life stimuli, reading books and not computer/tv screens, learning true mores, and not blowing shit up. I couldn't care less if gaming companies are coming out with "kid-friendly" games. I say that's bullshit. I say there's no such thing as a kid friendly game.

keep in mind, however, that I don't think games and computers are all bad. After my kid hits, let's say, 12 or 13, then I can't justify disallowing him/her to play video games, get a computer, etc. By then they should have developed the necessary skills and life-experience not to be completely destroyed by technology. I most certainly won't let them get a cellphone until high school, and might even make them pay for it themselves. Instant communication is killing human relationships...as well as the English Language and Grammar.

Children these days are suffering from a major problem: they are being forced to grow up way, way, way too early. Childhood is a beautiful and essential part of life that should be cherished and loved, not rushed through in an eager attempt to get to adulthood. TV, computer, video games, movies, and culture seem set on destroying childhood and forcing maturity onto kids when they shouldn't have a care in the world. It's terrible and disgusting and completely unnatural. Society is heading for a quick and utter destruction. I just hope we all understand exactly what a terrible thing we've done just before it blows up in our faces.

I may sound a little radical, but I truly believe that video games are not for children and should be heavily restricted (referring to Red's post) for violent content if the user is under a certain age.

I think you are right. There is NO denying the effects technology are having on literacy skills; people do not know how to write to save their lives nowadays, using words effectively and fluently, because they can just txt their bff in the scantest terms possible using fake words and abbreviations. Except for the few people who were not spoiled and weened on a cell phone and video games. I have a cell phone, but it is a cheap thing that can pretty much only text and receive calls, and I only give the number out for a professional purpose and my family or friends overseas have it since I do not get to see them often; my friends in the immediate area know they have to talk to me in PERSON or else it must not be that important.

About children growing up too fast, I could not agree with you more. I was never allowed to say one bad word when I was a child, and I abided by that respectfully growing up, but now, I hear ten year olds flinging around explicit curses whenever they feel like it. And of course they have their cell phone pressed up against their ear a lot of times, as if they are talking about something important. Why in the name of the Light would you even buy children a cellphone other than for emergency uses ? They certainly are not talking to an ambulance driver on their phone for thirty minutes.

This is really the embodiment of "pride before the fall." Pretty much every fallen civilization in history had a period of accented decadence before they collapsed, either catastrophically or slowly and painfully. The exceptions are only those wiped out by natural disasters or pandemics.

Archived