DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Healing Stilling

Talmanes

If RJ used the word severed, then it seems to imply both stilling and burning out, as that is the only word used by the age of legends characters.

Not, exactly... What is left of the Old Tongue refers to both with the same word, but much subtlety is lost from the language. A distinction between the two, now lost, was likely. The AoL was a highly advanced culture and with that their language was likely very sophisticated, much like English, German or French. Each in turn has been the recognized language of Science for the last three hundred years or so due to their specificity. Latin, now unused commonly, was at one time more detailed than it is currently. Much of the vocabulary has been lost and it's relatively well documented. Scholars know some but not nearly all of more ancient languages.

Getting back to burning out and stilling:

One who is burned out, can neither touch nor sense the True Source. This would indicate some greater degree of damage to the brain structure Nynaeve and Flynn have found. The analogy I've seen somewhere (likely DM) would be like an electrical fuse or maybe a filament that is broken but the ends are still present as opposed to one or the other where the whole filament has evaporated from the electrical overload.

One way relatively easier repaired than the other.

there is a huge difference between the scholarly knowledge of ancient languages and the direct knowledge of ancient languages possessed by lews therin and the forsaken and the writer of the entire fantasy world. 

I understand your points about stilling and burning out, but there is not enough evidence to draw your conclusions about burning out.  Nynaeve gets some good direct info about how she finds a gap to bridge.  Noone has delved a burnt out character that had Nynaeve's knowledge.  You may well be right that it is harder or impossible to heal burning out, but I'm inclined to believe Nynaeve that she'd find a way to heal it, and that RJ's quote backs that theory up.

The practical effect of burning out and severing is essentially the same: a channeler's connection to the one power is damaged in a way that prevents them from touching it. Maybe the specifics of the injuries are slightly different, but I think it would be comparable to the differences between a broken arm and a broken leg.

Besides, the narrative is building toward Mistress Anan being healed. The question will be what she does about her family if the Aes Sedai want her back. I guess her kids are grown, but what is she going to do with her husband, make him her warder?

Oh.. well s'cuse me for bustin' yer' bubble. I didn't say that burning out could NOT be healed. Simply that it was going to be less likely or at least more difficult as the injury is different.

Burning out is MORE severe. Deny it all you wish, thats the fact. Setalle Anan can neither SENSE or TOUCH the Source. Siaun and Leanne could Sense it... Now once again... Tell me they are the SAME.

Nynaeve (or Flynn, take your pick) has NOT become the Creator the last time I checked nor has she installed a new gall bladder in someone who has had theirs ... removed. Repairing something that is not there, would be comparable. In other words, creating a tiny brain structure from NOTHING.

Of course it's possible. It's a book.

Yes when someone is stilled they still sense the source, but just cant use it. When someone is burned out it is like they never were able to channel. This obviously shows that being burned out is much more severe and less likely to be fixed than healing stilling. If you could heal someone who has the ability completely burned out of them then theoretically you should be able to connect a person that actually never had it.

Apparently clear difference in the reaction of a stilled versus burnt out channeller to an A'dam. When Siuan uses an A'dam on Moggy, she can sense what Moggy is doing though she cannot act as a damane. 

When Anan uses the A'dam on Joline, something weird happens. One explanation is that Joline collapses when she tries to walk - as damane do, if they move when there's nobody on the other end of an A'dam.

However, Moggy's A'dam is the leashless type made by Elayne while Anan is using the conventional type.

We also don't know if Moggy tried to move.

Perhaps healing is possible, perhaps not.

The story line does seem to be building up to this.

There is much speculation that she will be healed and many reasons for it, but it will not necessarily happen. There are tons of characters in the WoT that only play minor roles and then are not important later. This is because of the vastness of the setting. She may of just played her part, which was very important, and be done. She may be healed she may not but essentially it comes down to a RAFO question. There isn't enough evidence either way so we'll just have to wait. 

I think Anan would still have a part to play -- there was too much buildup of the way in which Tuon liked and respected her through the CoT and KoD PoVs. No other reason for her to be hanging in there this long - she has already done her bit for the plot in terms of the Kin and the Bowl. 

Whether Anan is healed and thus forces Tuon to reconsider her views on Marath'damane or whether she influence Tuon another way, or just fades out of the storyline, is obviously going to be a RAFO. But I think she will feature in the last three books. Also it is barely possible that the experiment she was doing when burnt out is critical in some fashion, though I doubt that.

As things have gone, the only other place where healing-stilling may crop up as a plot element is Moiraine, if she's been stilled and Moiraine's utility to Rand may not depend on her being able to channel at all.

I share Nyanaeve's sentiment that there is nothing that cannot be Healed short of death. I definitely believe that it might be possible to Heal a burn out, but that it would be extremely more difficult than a stilling.

Wouldn't it be the same to compare a person who's had his hand severed, with a clean cut, to someone who's lost a piece of the arm alltogether? I mean, the hand could be reattached. If you've lost everything between your hand and your elbow, you can't just attach the hand to the elbow - you'd have to regrow everything between. Or something like that.

Of course, it could be that a burn out is more like losing your entire arm in an explosion or something - that it's obliterated, and there's nothing left to stitch back together. You don't even have a hand anymore - and you wouldn't have any kind of connection in the former channeller. So, nothing to Heal.

Regarding Siuan and Leane ... I doubt they'd be willing to go through being severed again.

it was said that tearing was the deepest pain anyone could know

ACoS, Chp 25. Moghedien thinks that. Would you be willing to go through the deepest pain that can be known, a second time? Besides, there's no guarantee whatsoever that the Healing will work a second time. It's possible, even likely, but not 100%. I doubt they'd be willing to risk it - they have saidar now, after all. Much, much less than before, but it's there.

I see it as each channeller having two physical 'parts', one of which allows them to sense the source, and the other allows them to actually channel. Nyn and Flinn have only fixed the latter, but there's no reason to conclude that they would be unable to fix the former, as long as the genetic ability to channel remains.

Hell, if they really studied, why shouldn't they be able to do OP-based gene therapy?

All things, except death.

Archived