DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mingling with a Yellow..(attn Slade)

Eqwina

The Tower felt different to her now. It felt almost foreign, like waking up to find someone sharing your bed when you thought you were alone. She was no longer as much a part of the Tower as she’d once been, and yet she still walked its halls. Ever since she’d discovered that Corwin was truly alive, and they had reunited she’d question the very roots of who she was. It had been more than 50 years since she’d dedicated herself to the Black Ajah, and over 10 that she’d sat precariously balanced at the Head of the Supreme Council, and now she was beginning to question her decisions. Not out loud, or to anyone but herself, but the doubt was there.

It had been the second Ajah she’d chosen that had first torn Corwin’s life apart, and it was that Ajah that was now keeping them apart. And yet her reasons for joining were justified. She’d lost everything and everyone that she’d ever loved, and for all her skill at healing she hadn’t been able to save a one. For all of her heartache and loss it was a more catastrophic event that had led to her final decision. The night she had killed Isha, the Asha’man that had bonded her against her will. Somehow in the midst of ciaos and madness they had become friends, and she’d come to care for gentle giant that haunted her dreams. Sometimes at night she wondered if it had been some part of his taint infecting her that had made her grant his foolish request. He’d begged for death. A mere shell of a man left, with on eyes to see or means to walk or care for himself. Many would have called her killing mercy for a man already doomed to die, but Eqwina saw it for what it really was. Her last step into a world of blackness and destruction. When Isha had died so had the last part of her that was human, or so she’d thought until Corwin came into her life. Her hardened heart had learned to love again, and once again, nah twice again it was being ripped away.

Her status as Sitter granted her respect from the Sister’s she passed in the halls. Many inclined their heads, and members of her public Ajah went so far as to curtsy slightly. She was more than just a Sitter to them, she was their Ajah head and for what it was worth she wore the title with pride. Still, each ageless face she passed was a reminder of what being Aes Sedai had cost, and she felt herself growing farther apart from the only place she’d ever truly called home.

Exiting out into the midday sun, Eqwina pulled up her cowl to hide her eyes from bright light. Crossing into the Warder’s yard she could not hide what she was, but with her face obscured perhaps she would cause less comment. Walking through the throngs of men and women, jumping around with their swords Eqwina no longer wondered why they spent so much of their lives engrossed in their practice. The first time Corwin had saved her life she’d seen the need straight away. Pausing to watch two of the older men, Eqwina examined them with interest. One was of a height with Corwin, and the other was far darker and too broad..still they provided interesting opportunities. She wasn’t truly sure if she could bond another man, with Corwin still on her heart, but her life was a dangerous one and she would need protection in the coming days.

For a time she watched the men flow from one form to the other, neither seeming to gain the upper hand. It was almost as if they were at a stalemate, but then one, the younger blonde who reminded her of Corwin slipped and his opponent took the advantage. They were only practice lathes, but the blow was direct and hard into his short ribs. The boy crumpled and Eqwina rushed forward. Laying fingers gently on his bared chest she delved him and healed the small crack his ribs had taken.

“You should be more careful of your foot work. The next time it might not be a practice sword.” Eqwina summoned a rarely used smile, as the healed young man helped her to her feet. Her face was so sweet and so innocent many had been shocked to find death behind her eyes. She rarely killed on her own, at least she had not since she’d found such a perfect tool in Kennar, but the times she be forced to use her own hands she was always quick and efficient. She never wasted time on needless torture or pain; perhaps that pointed to the part of her heart that was still inherently Yellow.

Up so close to the young man it was easy to see that he Towered over her, by more than a foot, but her small stature no longer bothered Eqwina like it once had. Taking a few steps back so she would not have to look up to meet his eyes, she tried out another smile. It felt strange on her lips, but she forced it into place without showing her outward discomfort. “I will leave you to your training now, just take care not to undo the work I’ve just done.”

Turning she walked back to the path that cut through the Warder’s yard, and started back towards the Tower. Just because the young man looked something like Corwin was no reason to assume that he could fill his shoes. But perhaps…if he was bold enough…she would consider using him for a time. At to see if he could be a fit.

“I will leave you to your training now, just take care not to undo the work I’ve just done.” Slade watched as the small Aes Sedai walked away.  It took Slade a moment to catch his breath.  It was the 1st time he has The Power used on him and he felt like he had been dropped into a frozen pond.  But even the chill and the hunger he felt could not take his toughts away from those eyes.  A beautiful shade of green but there was something else behind those eyes...something almost like his own...Pain perhaps.

Slade slowly rose to his feet.  "Well now Slade you are getting much better with that big blade of yours." Slade's mentor said to him.  "That's enough for now go grab some grub and meet me here later for another spar."  "Yes Sir. May I ask a question though." Slade responded now normally a dismissal was a dismissal but Slade had to know. "That Aes Sedai, do you happen to know her name or Ajah."  "Now Slade I hope your not getting any stupid ideas, one thing I know about you is your not a fool and I didn't hit you on your head either."  "I know sir, its not nothing like that it just...Nevermind..I was just wondering."  Slade replied.

"Her name is Eqwina Aes Sedai and she is of the Yellow Ajah Slade.  Maybe she's looking for a Warder or perhaps she just felt like helping someone in pain." Slade's Mentor said laughing.  "No gow wash up and grab a meal.  Tis afternoon's spar will be much more intense."

Slade went over to the water basin and washed up and doned his shirt.  He felt no pain in a rib he was sure was broken.  He turned to look in the direction the Aes Sedai had walked off to.  Tjose his eyes Slade couldn't get the out of his mind.  There was pain there...hidden, masked but it was there.  Most people wouldn't notice it but Slade had pain hidden as well Pain and anger...how he missed his Sister...If only he could have been stronger if he only he could have defended her.  Never again Slade thought, never will I be helpless to defend.  This afternoon his Menotr would be in for a surprise Slade was angry and anger always fueled his passions.

Eqwina did not return directly to the familiarity of her rooms. Instead she wandered awhile longer through the Yards. She did not stop again to offer aid, but she did not rush either. In her heart she knew she was searching….but for what?

From the Yards, she crossed into the Tower’s expansive library taking time to browse books of primitive remedies and cures. She had little interest in herbs, like most Yellows’, but she did not discredit them completely as they’d saved her own life from time to time. Today was not her turn in the infirmary, but she was in charge of making sure it ran smoothly no matter the rotation, so her aimless wandering found her in the long gallery of crisp white linens and the bustle of important work being done. Anyone who’d ever stepped foot in Infirmary could not deny that the Yellow’s Ajahs work was the most important of all.

Still, even that important work could not sate her discontent and feeling of displacement. She needed to escape, but leaving Tar Valon again so soon after her return would talk. Lately she’d been dangerously close to revealing secrets that would see her stilled and beheaded, so it was a time for caution. She would have to work through her emotions, while giving all outward appearance of a normal routine. Had she been a woman to pray, or had the Great Lord answered prayed Eqwina might have offered one right then.

Leaving the bustle of the infirmary behind she stepped back out into the afternoon sun. Dismayed to find that only about an hour has passed Eqwina decided that a walk through the city would do her more good than pacing the grounds. Besides she was less likely to be noticed in the ever urgent commotion of the streets.

It was a long hard afternoon of sparring.  Slade worked nonstop against his Mentor.  His Mentor had commented on Slade's demeanor this afternoon.  His encounter with the Aes Sedai and those eyes had drummed up demons from his past.  Slade constantly thought about Sereh and the brutality of her death, his inadequacies at saving and the last of his emotions he lost during the year of his imprisonment.

After washing up and changing Slade decided to take a walk through the town and chance to try and clear his mind though he doubted it would work.  He enjoyed his training as a Tower Guard but it was not what he wanted, he had made a vow to himself to his sister that he would become a Warder he would become a weapon, a shield a protector.  His anger fueled his fighting his blade fueled him.  He was ready for a change.

It was late afternoon as Slade began his stroll through Tar Valon.  He remembered the 1st time seeing the city, the grandest in the world.  He was amazed at the beauty now it felt more like a prison to him, he wanted his chance at redemption…maybe salvation...or maybe it was revenge.  As Slade made his way through the throng of people, hawkers crying their wares, the poor begging for change Aes Sedai and petitioners Slade sought to lose himself.  He made his way towards one of the local Inns and he paused, those eyes that face there she was the Aes Sedai from earlier. Realizing he had never properly thanked her for Healing him Slade made his way over to give his thanks, to look into those and she if she was like him...perhaps misery just loved company...maybe he was mistaken.  Only one way to find out.

"Your Pardons Aes Sedai, my name is Slade and I never had the chance to properly.  My name is Slade and again I'd like to give you my thanks for the Healing earlier and the advice." he smiled.  "Do you need a hand with anything Aes Sedai?"  He was sure of it after looking into her eyes...there was definitely pain perhaps she was a kindred soul....

The throngs of bodies in the street never lessened until darkness fell and even then you could always find people about. The streets of Tar Valon were safe for anyone no matter their station or sex, the Aes Sedai and the Guards made sure of that. Nodding to the guards at the main gate of the Tower, Eqwina let the cowl of her cloak fall down her back, exposing her ageless face. Even in streets as crowded as these, a face that no age could be put to allowed her to pass. She moved through a tiny pocket, people moving aside for her without ever slowing or breaking stride. Aes Sedai were more common here than any place else in the world, and people rarely batted eye and having to make way.

Passing by one of the few dark alleys off the main roads, she paused. It had been nearly 100 years ago, when she was still an Accepted that she’d lost stood in that spot. Even after so many years she could still see the fear in Nevin’s eyes as they stole kisses away from prying eyes. He’d always been so timid, so gentle and shy, the perfect gentleman and the one true Light of her heart. Shaking her head Eqwina pulled her hands away  his necklace that still hung around her neck. If had he not left her he’d be years dead by now and she’d still be alone. Besides, there was no Light left to her heart. Her love story with Nevin was as dead as he was; a foolish childhood fancy that she’d long ago left behind. Pushing the image of his soft lips and tasseled brown hair from her mind she continued on with her search.

Three men. Nevin Lashareth, Drak Meilan, and Corwin Narshoba. All as different as the day was long, and each one had touched her life, and her heart in ways she’d never imagined. It was not so many men for one woman’s life and at the same time it was too many.

With each one that had fallen away she’d died a little more inside, until today when she was left with only her commitments, oaths, and duties to sustain her. Not even memories could summon a spark anymore. Realizing that she was stopped in the street, staring West…towards Corwin, she forced her feet to move again. She’d only taken a few steps when she heard someone calling. Turning around she was not shocked to see the boy she’d healed. His injury had been minor, but it was recent enough that had she not been lost in her past she would have sensed him approaching.

Her emerald green eyes regarded him like an eagle with her pray. The boy was bold, or perhaps just extremely foolish. Couldn’t he sense that he was stepping in to a pit of vipers? “I do not need any assistance today, but perhaps there may be some small task I will require. I trust that I can call on you when I do?”  Slade smiled and Eqwina knew that her hook was set. For years she’d ignored her outward beauty, but now she understood the powerful weapon it could be and she didn’t hesitate to use it.

Letting her cloak fall open, it revealed a golden silk dress that she’d acquired during her travels to Tarabon. It more than suggested everything most women wished to hide; which was just the effect she desired. Lost and confused or not, Eqwina would never give up a chance at sport, and Tower Guards were always considered such. Plus, he did remind her of Corwin. “If you have not eaten yet, perhaps we could dine together? You must be hungry after receiving healing?” Innocence emanated every pore of her tiny frame, and her face was simply too angelic. She had no doubt that Slade would accept.

"Of course you can Eqwina Sedai and yes I most certainly would."  Slade didn't gape but he couldn't help a glance, she was a very very beautiful woman but it was her eyes that mesmerized him.  She looked innocent enough to the untrained eye but anyone who had lost it all lost everything they held dear could see the difference.  Slade knew that he probably shouldn't have approached her and that he had best be on his best behavior.  Dinner with an Aes Sedai was a first for him.  And to have one with someone who could be a kindred sprit as well, he just couldn't pass up the chance.

Slade knew that she could ask him for any favor and he would do it.  Not only was she a beautiful woman, she was Aes Sedai and she was in pain he was sure of it.  Something terrible had happened to her and it only showed in her eyes.  Of course she was Aes Sedai and would have no need of any support or guidance from a Tower Guard but Slade couldn’t help himself he needed to know if he was right he needed someone who had been through Hel and back and if he was wrong well heck.....he'd feel foolish but then again who can resist a beautiful lady.

"Where would you like to eat Eqwina Sedai." and with that Slade offered an arm.  We watched as some of the other Tower Guards looked at him in awe.  Slade just smiled and nodded.  And waited, supper was going to very interesting indeed.

Eqwina looked at his arm strangely and then reached up to pat him on the cheek. His puzzled look only made her laugh and with a slight flourish she allowed him to take her arm. He seemed very set up, and content to be looked at as her pet, and so Eqwina allowed it. Leading him through the streets she directed them to an Inn she knew well. The innkeeper was a pleasant women, well into her middle years, and yet still ripe in her age. In spite of lines at the corners of her eyes, and the lines that creased her cheeks she was still quite beautiful. She also knew when to be discrete and she never wasted time with idle questions.

Looking up from speaking with one of her serving girls she immediately ushered Eqwina to a private dining room in the back of the tavern, near the stairs, and assured her that they would not be disturbed. She had used this location often to speak with her adherents and other darkfriends who found their way to Tar Valon. She knew for certain that the innkeeper was of her persuasion, and her gift of Milking Tears had made certain things absolute. The door barely shut behind the woman when trays of meats and cheeses were brought in, along with two types of wine.

When at least the door had shut Eqwina smiled at Slade. The guard seemed shocked, and slightly uncomfortable, for all he was trying to be brave. “Please have a seat. I This Inn has some of the best food in Tar Valon.” Not waiting for him to pull out her chair Eqwina took a seat and used flows of air to pour two glasses of wine. Slade still seemed shaken, especially when the goblet stayed floating up near his face. Waiting for him to retrieve it.  “Take the wine Slade. It will calm your nerves.”

Oh yes..she'd forgotten how much she'd enjoyed her sport. Besides being outside of the Tower's walls was helping to restore some of her inner balance.

Slade was not sure how to take this.  He was somewhat confused somewhat uncomfortable but he needed to know his desire to know that someone else felt the way he did would perhaps....it probably wouldn't do anything.  His past and its pain forged his new life for him his direction.  And as unsettling as it was Slade decided to make the best out of it.  She certainly seemed nice enough and her beauty didn’t hurt matters either.

"Why thank you Eqwina Sedai this is very kind of you." Slade replied as he forced his body to be still as he casually retrieved the glass of wine floating in front of him.  Slade smiled genuinely at her.  It had been a while since he shared dinner with someone other then the Tower Guards.  Perhaps she just wanted someone to talk with.  Someone common.  Who knew Aes Sedai and their thought process? It was way beyond Slade's or any man's ability to understand.

Slade summoned all of his courage. "If I may be as bold may I ask you to tell me about yourself Eqwina Sedai?"  There it was out there...I mean what was the worst she would do...kill him? 

There were various books written on breaking horses, and while all used different methods the one thing they agreed on what that you had to acclimate them to your presence before you could ever fit them with a saddle. One of the best methods Eqwina had discovered was first putting the subject off balance. If you could make them nervous, then you could also ‘prove’ to them that there was nothing to worry about. She’d didn’t think it could be applied to horses, but it worked very well with men.

Using Air once again she brought the food over so that it would be within reach on the table and then settled back in her chair. When he smiled at her in thanks, it seemed genuine but she could see the slight tension around his eyes. Oh yes, he was most definitely off balance. His next question was a slight shock, but as always Eqwina didn’t allow her emotions to show. There had been a time in her life when she’d fainted at any reprove and had worn her emotions on her sleeve, but she was long past that child Aes Sedai. “That is a bold question to ask an Aes Sedai.” Reaching out she made a small plate for herself, and ushered for Slade to do the same. “I have already lived a lifetime, to tell you about myself would take more time that either of us would care to give.”

Smiling just slightly she looked up at him through her lashes. She saw his hand twitch nervously on the table, and just to add a little spice to her game she winked. “What I can tell you is that I have been an Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah longer than you’ve been alive and that my dedication to my Ajah and to my work is what drives me.” Eqwina always enjoyed being able to turn the truth on its head. She’d not lied once in that sentence, but nothing about it revealed that the true work she spoke of was to the Dark Lord. “I am a Sitter for my Ajah, but I find myself called out into the world often. The work is too important and the need too great for me to stay too long in one place.”

Ignoring the plate of steaming food she picked up her wine goblet and twirled it slowly between her hands. Everything about her spoke of casualness, even the lazy way in which she sipped her drink. Bringing the cup slowly to her lips, she would sip and then lower the cup, touching her tongue to her lips in a suggestive way. It was subtle, but she could tell it worked. “Now tell me about you Slade, and what brought you to the White Tower.”Silly mind games like that had never worked on Corwin, though she hadn't often tried. He was her equal, a fact she couldn't say about anyone else in the world, and her respect for him was too great to play games. If only she could content herself with bonding an equal............

Slade took a moment to digest the news.  Not just an Aes Sedai but a Sitter on top of it!!! He had hoped that he wasn't being too bold and that he didn't offend her she had mentioned it was bold but he didn't think that she was too offended.  Her use of the One Power in front of him was unsettling but he tried his best not to let it show.  If he to fulfill his vow to become a Warder he would have to become accustomed to it.  Slade began to fill his plate using the time to collect himself.  He couldn't help but notice her grace in everything she did, her beauty and the way she was drinking her wine.  Don't be a fool Slade he thought to himself she's an Aes Sedai and a Sitter of the Yellow Ajah, she had no interest in a lowly Tower Guard.  Another thing he couldn't help but notice was the absence of a Warder.  Perhaps this was a test...perhaps she felt sorry for him.  Whichever it was Slade was going to make the best showing he could for himself.

“Now tell me about you Slade, and what brought you to the White Tower.” Eqwina asked him.  He didn't fell very comfortable talking about his past, his demons but he would tell her it all, the truth and leave the cards to fall where they would.

"I know my past will probably seem boring to you Eqwina Sedai and I hope that nothing I say will offend, I've certainly have not lived and experienced life as you have.  I hope it doesn't bore you but her goes. I hail from Kore Springs in Andor I am 20 years old my father was a Merchant who had originally served in her Majesty the Queen's Guard.  My mother was the village Wisdom.  I had 2 sisters Elle my older sister and my twin Sereh."  Even as he started to talk the pain welled inside of Slade, pain and anger.  He hated talking about his "family", of his failures but he stoically continued. "On the night of my mother's 50 naming day my father threw a party for inviting most of the villagers to come.  During which us children gathered to play outside.  As we were playing my sister Sereh began to get excited and all of a sudden she shot fire from her hands.  Sereh as it had turned it was a Wilder.  She accidentally killed two of the children.  Scared and confused I grabbed her and ran into the woods." 

Slade paused for a moment. It was becoming too much for Slade the hate, the anger the pain was coursing thorough him.  After a moment he continued. Though he was trying to hide it, to control it he doubted he was doing a good job. "We hid out in the woods for about 2 weeks before a search party found us.  The party was lead by one of the dead children's father.  I tried to fight them off; I could smell the stench of ale off of them.  I knew even at that age that there would be no trial no understanding.  Again Slade trailed off not even noticing that the wine goblet he has been holding was crushed and wine had split onto his hand and the table.  The beat me tied me up and made me watch.  They beat her unconscious raped her.  They brutalized Sereh.  I watched and took my beating for 3 days before they brought as back to town.  They hung her in the square and I was tossed into prison for a year.  My parents embarrassed forgot my existence my Sister Elle married an Andorian Lord and moved away."  Slade struggled to continue.  "I made a vow to myself to Sereh that I would never fail to protect someone again.  That I would become a Warder. I would be someone's shield, someone's sword!" Slade finished his voice slightly raised.

"I apologize Eqwina Sedai. I'm so sorry, I..."  Slade stopped he knew what he must have sounded like the look on his face.  With all of his focus he looked directly into Eqwina's eyes and waited for her response.

Kennar sat on an upturned barrel in front of the warehouse.  He sat eating a meat pie idly kicking drumming the back of his feet on the barrel.  He appeared to be a laborer on a meal break awaiting the next wagon which he would have to unload.  The warehouse conveniently offered an unobstructed view of the inn.

Eqwina Sedai seemed to trust people less than he did so he occasionally watched over the inn to see that the innkeeper was still loyal to her pledge to serve the Great Lord of the Dark.  The innkeeper was no fool though, she knew her fate if she displeased their mistress.  It was still uncomfortable for him to admit that he had a master or in the case a mistress.  Kennar did not like bowing and scraping to anyone save for the Dark Lord.  What was worse was that he knew his fate, his chance at power and immortality was tied to this little Aes Sedai.  For now he was her faithful servant and would protect her like a newborn babe.

As if thinking of her were a summons, he suddenly spotted her making her way down the street arm in arm with a rather tall man.  Her diminutive size made the man look taller than he was, the tiny little Aes Sedai made Kennar look tall which of course he was not.  Kennar watched as the pair made their way down the street and into the inn.  Kennar finished his meat pie then savagely licked his fingers, he could almost taste the kill.  Adrenaline coursed through his body at the prospect.  The elation was easy to hide though inside he had a smile a mile wide.

Kennar waited a few minutes pondering on the other man giving them a chance to get settled.  He knew the innkeeper would be settling Eqwina Sedai into the private dining room.  Moments later Kennar walked into the inn then into the kitchen where he found the rotund innkeeper.  Never eat at an inn with a thin innkeeper he thought to himself.  Now where had that thought come from he wondered.  Kennar had been in this woman’s presence scores of times and that had never come to mind before.  Perhaps he was going mad?  No, he was already mad, but this was different.

Shrugging Kennar probed the woman as he often did.  The rotund innkeeper knew he served their mistress and that he could dole out punishment on the woman if he saw fit.  It was one of the many pleasures of his employment.  For such a heavy woman she was very weak.  The obese woman could not take pain.

Kennar put on the apron picking up another tray of food he carried it into the private dining room.  With his head down Kennar meekly entered the room begging forgiveness for the interruption.  “Pa..Pardon Aes Sedai, the innkeeper sends her regards.  She asked that I make certain that everything is too your satisfaction.”  Kennar kept his voice meek as he circled the room going behind the other man making sure to size him up and memorize his features should he need to follow the man later.  He offered Eqwina a sly mischievous smile then smoothed  his face before setting the tray down.   “Your favorite I believe.  Prepared just the way you like it.”  He said revealing the contents of the tray.

“More wine Aes Sedai?”  Kennar asked respectfully then topped off her goblet.  Eqwina Sedai seemed to barely notice him.  She was good at this game.  Even the most trained eye would have no idea of the connection between them.  “And for your guest Aes Sedai?  I have a bottle of the house special if you like?”  Her words would determine this fools fate.  She had numerous replies at her disposal several of which would determine the fool man’s fate.  Eqwina could choose the manner of the man’s death, or order to have him watched, or order Kennar to take no action all.  All of this by a certain simple response to his question.  He hoped she would decide to kill the man.  Kennar had to tamp down his elation at the prospect of murdering the man so he continued to look like the simple tavern cook that he was portraying.  Kennar always spent time at the craft that he was emulating to make sure his disguises were genuine and believable.

Kennar patiently waited on her response…

Eqwina drew idle circles on the table as she listened to the story. She was accustomed to the seedier side of life. Every day she ordered brutalities that many people couldn’t even imagine on their vilest day; but to rape and then hang a child while her twin brother watched was beyond even her worst machinations. Murder was a much more civilized game in her world; revenge or punishment never played into it in her mind. Some people simply had to die in order to make way for the Great Lord of the Dark.

Eqwina never tortured, or punished needlessly. Unlike some of her darker Sister’s she did still see the value in human lives. Many had taken her for weak upon learning of her feelings, but she had disabused that notion quickly. Every perceived weakness she had was a target for those that wished to rise themselves above her, and so she kept her true weaknesses guarded tightly.

At the climax of his story Eqwina watched the glass shatter in his hands and the dark liquid spray across the table. His hand dripped with blood, embedded with shards from the shattered goblet. Reaching out across the table Eqwina gently laid her fingers over the cuts, careless of the blood and embraced Saidar. Weaving healing she lay it on him and then used a handkerchief to wipe away the excess blood. Using some water from the pitcher she cleaned her hands and with threads of air wiped away the mess. Retaking her seat she looked at Slade, her face expressionless.

“There is never a cause for needless suffering such as your Sister faced. I am sorry that you and your family were put through such pain.” The darkness that had embedded its self in Eqwina’s heart the day she’d given Isha the death he’d begged for had an oddly silver lining. She didn’t believe in revenge for herself, but for those that were defenseless she was willing to cause pain. In her mind it was the Dark Lord’s decision who would distribute and receive pain and each person who caused suffering without his will deserved anything they got and more.

The door opened and Eqwina looked towards the door, preparing a few nasty weaves. Seeing that it was only Kennar she released the source and settled back in her chair. His visit was a surprise, if not entirely unexpected. His meek appearance hid one of the coldest blooded killers Eqwina had ever known, and yet he seemed to practically burn with the desire to keep her alive. She’d pried out of him that he believed his chance at eternal life was wrapped up in her, and ever since she’d used his belief to achieve something close to total obedience.

Giving no sign of recollection that she knew the serving man, Eqwina smiled ever so slightly and held out her goblet for him to refill. “Yes, more wine and water would be appreciated as well.” Setting her cup back down on the table she was careful to place it just to the left of center of her plate. She and Slade both watched as Kennar cleared away the remains of dinner and served the dessert. “You may tell the Innkeeper that the meal was perfect, and give her my regards.”

With that Kennar left, leaving Eqwina alone with Slade once again. She let him know through their carefully planned code that Kennar was to watch Slade when they left, and to stay close in case she needed him. At times she loathed the little man, but she always respected his dedication to his work.

“To become a Warder is an admirable and lofty goal. There is so much more to it than being a sword and a shield. A Warder must be versed in intrigue and have the ability to stand up to his Aes Sedai when necessary and to give her a dose of caution when needed. Some are better at it than others, but with time comes training. Rest assured the Tower will give you the skills you need.”

Sipping steadily at her wine Eqwina gestured to the dessert. “Eat up, you have been healed twice today. I know that you are famished.” Watching Slade eat Eqwina pondered over what she was to do with the boy.

Slade paused as Eqwina Healed him and the small shady waiter came into the room.  Slade felt the hair rise on the back of his neck at the sight of the man as he walked around the room.  Something about him didn't seem right, he couldn't place it.  The man was just a waiter but something was off.  Once he was no longer at Slade's back and was far enough away from Eqwina Slade dismissed him.

"Thank you again Eqwina Sedai." Slade replied feeling somewhat embarrassed.  "I'm sorry Eqwina Sedai, and thank you for the advice.  I am willing to do ANYTHING in my power to become a Warder to achieve my goals."  Slade said stressing the word anything.  Slade wasn't sure if Eqwina any interest in him at all but he did her.  She was beautiful and intrieging and overwhelming.  Her small stature did nothing to diminish that fact.  The more they spoke well even the as the minutes passed Slade was becoming more enamored with this woman.

It was like her presence and charm had cast a spell on him.  Slade wanted to be the one who followed her the battlefield wanted to be the one she wanted to intrigue her and to stand up to her.  He couldn't explain it.  He had known from the moment he looked into her eyes seeing they had the same haunted look behind them that she was someone who knew how he felt.

"Again Eqwina Sedai thank you for this delicious meal I am famished."  Slade smiled reaching for 2nds. "You have honored me with your time and conversation."  Slade knew that his earlier questions may have been bold but he wanted to no he needed to know more about her to spend more time with her.  "Eqwina Sedai and I will apologize for being so forward but do you have or have you ever had a Warder and Id love for you to share some of your experiences with me if you’re willing?"  He knew he may have pushed his luck but he mind and thoughts felt clouded, maybe shadowed was a better word.

Quite easily put...he needed to know.

An adversity to reckless cruelty or not, Eqwina still was more than willing to use people to her own end. She made use of her position of power to secure her own loyalist, those that obeyed her every command as if she were the Great Lord of the Dark. The Great Lord might be angry if she ever used her personal adherents against him, then again it may raise his opinion of her. He always encouraged competition among his servants. It ensured that only the best and the brightest lived to serve him.

Having held her chair at the Head of the Supreme Council for many years now, Eqwina was most defiantly counted among the most capable of his Aes Sedai servants. Her fingers drummed lightly on the table, neither a sign of impatience or anger as it was in many. It simply meant that she was deep in thought. Many of her thoughts coalesced into images in her mind of men she’d known and the things she’d seen in her life. A particular trip into the Blight a few years past seemed vivid at this moment. She could still see Drak’s chiseled form, and feel his hot breath on her neck as they’d divulged their darkest secrets to each other in the throes of passion. He’d been the one true pleasure in her life, before meeting Corwin. There were still nights when she closed her eyes that she could swear he was laying beside her. The strange bond they’d formed had been broken, but she knew that someday he would come back for her; just as he promised. The question was, would she keep the promises she’d made?

Something in Slade’s voice brought her out of her reverie, and she met his eyes. He seemed to be saying that she could have him at that moment if she wished, to bond as a Warder. The eagerness in his eyes was palpable, the passion enormous, but if he wished to be a Warder he still needed to learn patience. A lesson she would loath to teach any man, considering her own store was so shallow.

The next question he asked could not have been better timed to put Eqwina’s back up. Speaking to her of her own Warder’s was a quick path to death. Her fingers stilled on the table and her full lips thinned into a frown making her sweet face appear far from friendly. Saidar pulsed within her and several vicious weaves hung in the air between her and the boy. Every fiber of her body, down to the smallest hair wished to release her wrath and a full minute passed before she was able to breathe. In that time Slade had backed away in his chair and seemed to be looking for a way to run.

Closing her eyes for just a moment Eqwina took and deep breath and forced herself to release Saidar. It was the hardest thing she’d ever done, but there would not have been able to hide this death. Not with so many witnesses to attest to his whereabouts. “I had a Warder once..” Eqwina’s voiced was cold as ice, and her face was expressionless. Even see could not fake smiles on a subject as tender as this. “He was considered one of the best among the Warders; meaning he was one of the best in the world.  I am sure you have heard his name, Corwin Narshoba?”

Corwin would have been infamous in the yards, even had his death not been so public and so strange. He lived up to none of the standards the Gaidin imposed on themselves, and many had been surprised he’d found another to bond him. For years he’d been a loner and the byword for the way a Gaidin should never be. Yet, his skill was always renowned. Added to his name now, was his death apparently done by his own hand. Many had murmured that Eqwina had drove him to that place; but the Aes Sedai in the Tower had put paid to that rumor quickly. All his legends proved that Corwin was unstable, even his own daughter had found no fault in his death but his own. Still, her name and his were infamous even among the newest recruits.

Slade’s eyes opened slightly, and she could see the questions behind them. Had she driven him to commit suicide? Had her hand forced the dagger that slit his neck? Or had it been something more?

“In spite of what you may have heard, Corwin Gaidin was a good man and a good Warder, but like all men he had demons in his past. But I think you do not want to know about him, you want to know more about the bond that forms?”

Slade nodded just slightly, still trying to recover from his shock. “To be bonded is to be closer than any lover. You will know their every feeling, sometimes even before they do. It is a partnership, and if you are lucky you Aes Sedai will see you as more than just  sword, and consider you a friend and a confident. I hope that has answered your question sufficiently?” The mood in the room had become heavy, and dark thoughts now played in Eqwina’s mind.

Slade knew he had pushed Eqwina too far with his question.  He knew that he had brought her to a place in her memories where she had blocked it away.  Slade knew he had just come very close to losing his life.  But the biggest thing he knew was that Eqwina almost used the One Power as a Weapon on him which could only mean 2 things... But most importantly Slade knew that he has been right, right about the Pain hidden behind her eyes.  He knew she had demons from her past as well. They were kindred in way that nobody wanted to be kindred but that made no difference to Slade.  He knew he was facing a fork in the road pertaining to his life.  Whether or not she needed him or would kill him, Slade's decision was made.

Slade took a deep breath steeled his nerves Slade sought the Void he focus everything into the flame.  His pain, his thoughts, his feelings, his emotions even the Light that was left in him.  He was ice a torrent Mountain, an Avalanche waiting to happen.  Slade saw an opportunity here that any sane, normal man wouldn't take.  But Slade would, death or revenge a chance to fulfill his Vow or the end of his miserable existence.  Slade hadn't gone to this Dark Place since the time of his imprisonment.  Slade could feel the cuts and broken bones the days of hunger.  Slade went the place he went before into his Void and Slade knew he wasn't coming out of it again.

Slade's demeanor had change and he was sure Eqwina could see it could sense it.  His voice was cold calm and quiet.  His eyes hollow and lifeless.  The Flame that he sought had frozen and he was prepared to meet his fate.  This dinner would decide his fate though whether or not Eqwina knew or cared he had no idea.

Slade reached for his Blade slowly and in plain sight and set it upon the table with the blade pointing towards him and the handle to Eqwina Sedai. "All the Trainees have heard of him Eqwina Sedai and the circumstances behind his fall from grace so to speak."  There was no emotion in his voice he was going to press this to whatever end.  Slade stood up and removed his shirt.  There was no look of surprise, disgust or anything on Eqwina's face.  Her eyes were cold.

Slade continued, "We both know that a decision has to be made here Eqwina Sedai.  I know that you were going to kill me there.  I could see it in your eyes.  You were going to strike me down with the One Power.  I know what you are and if I'm wrong my life will be forfeit anyways to make an acquisition like that. I want revenge Eqwina Sedai.  I want Power I want to fulfill my Vow by any means necessary.  I will follow you I will pledge myself to you whether as servant for now or whatever you wish.  Just help me achieve them I forsake everything about myself from before.  Slade was standing now his muscles were tense the scars from his beatings showing across his muscled chest his arms at his sides.

Slade grabbed the tip of his blade and sliced his hand and went before Eqwina and knelt looking her directly in the eyes.  It was only now this close to her that his heart started to race she was beautiful and she was cold.  Slade felt a desire he had never felt before it was fear and excitement mixed into one.  "I Slade Draken am yours Eqwina Sedai my blade, my mind my heart and my soul.  I will follow do anything you ask.  I will fight for you I will defend you I will die for you.  I will stand up to you."  Slade didn't care about failing it was life or death and it didn't matter.  His passion his desires were here’s.  The icy look in his eyes was turning to fire this feeling was intense he was intense.  He was ready.  Ready to serve Eqwina and in turn forsake the Light.  He would swear himself to Eqwina, to the Great Lord of the Dark....or he would die.  Gently he placed one of Eqwina's hands on his blade and the other on his heart.  He looked up at her.  "I am yours....."

• 3 weeks later...

Eqwina’s boiled anger was doused with one sentence and numbness pulsed through her, until all she could feel was the loud beating of her heart. Eqwina did not have as much experience with bonding, at least when compared to other Sister’s of her age. She’d only been a part of a bond twice in her life, and neither had been under conventional circumstances.  The first time she had ever felt that shared knot of emotions she had been on the wrong side of the feeling. Many years ago she had gone to the Black Tower on a mission with several other Sister’s. At the time it had been to prove to herself and to the Tower that she deserved the shawl. That, and no other Yellow had volunteered for the duty.

Even numb, Eqwina shivered slightly at the memory of that day. No matter how old she grew, that fateful battlefield would forever be burned into her mind. Standing only 4’10 she was the smallest person who fought that day. Her size had served her well for a time, allowing her to maneuver around the much larger men and horses. That was, until she stumbled across the giant that would change her life. It had all happened before she could blink, and she was staggered. Her body had gone weak as she stared up at the over 6’ tall Asha’man who towered over her. How could they have known then how the bond would shape both their lives? Before Isha’s death at her hands, they had come to be friends and companions. They both understood the intricacies of insanity, and what it felt like to be an outcast. It would be the death Isha that would push Eqwina over the edge, and made her choose her new Ajah.

And then there was Corwin, the first man she’d ever bonded. He was somewhat of a byword around the yards for discontent and disgrace to the Warders, and yet he was a Master all the same. She’d never felt fear when he’d wielded his blade for her, but the passion they’d possessed had led to rather unconventional split. Now she was doomed to face a life without him.

Eyeing Slade she leaned back in her chair. The boy had paused, scarcely seeming to breathe. He looked more a statue than a man, except for his eyes. They were wild with hunger and anticipation. Eqwina could appreciate desire. She’d burned with unmatched desire in her life…there was the desire to marry Nevin when she was still only a girl, and there had been the desire to attain the shawl, she had burned with an intensity for Drak and his Dreadlord teachings, and for Corwin, there would always be a desire for him.

This was a turning point, and she knew her game was on delicate ground. Slade was unlikely to walk away from her now. Whatever she said….still his usefulness was not at an end. That really left her only one choice…………

Embracing Saidar Eqwina pulled deeply on the source, laying the skeins of the weave with skill and a delicate hand. This was no time to be hasty. Reaching out with her palms extended she gripped his head in her hands. As the last few skeins fell into place and the weave collapsed into something manageable she laid it on him gently. In seconds his eyes glazed, and Eqwina smiled. This weave was still new to her and she was always pleased when it worked as planned.

Her voice was quiet when she spoke, but her directions were explicit. “You will leave here thinking that your outburst just now was all in your own mind. You have not pledged yourself to me, and we have not bonded. You were pleased and intrigued by our meeting and are looking forward to another. You will call on me in a week’s time.”

Letting her words sink in she released the source and watched carefully. Her little trick was nowhere near as strong as compulsion, but with someone already emotionally fragile it worked like a dream every time. She could see in his eyes that he did not remember what had happened or what she’d done and was confused by his place on the floor. “Thank you Slade, you really didn’t need to do that, but I thank you.” She waved her napkin at him as if to thank him for retrieving it from the floor.

“I have enjoyed your company this day. Truly I have.”

• 8 months later...