DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A New Beginning... [ATT: MoN]

Elliara

Iralaeia’s bones ached with weariness as she followed the white clad novice in front of her. She had never ridden a horse before, but in the weeks travelling from Caemlyn to Tar Valon she had plenty of time to practice and by the end both Mayarin Sedai and her Warder, Junas, had commented on how adept she had become in such a short space of time.

During those weeks Iralaeia had said next to nothing, only speaking when spoken to. Mayarin Sedai had taken this as a sign of obedience when in fact it was Iralaeia’s way of dealing with her new life. While travelling she had helped the Warder gather firewood and prepare meals when needed and listened not quite as intently as she should have when the Aes Sedai gave her lessons on the One Power and the history of Tar Valon. The two new people in her life were a mystery. The ageless Aes Sedai with jet black hair and wise, brown eyes set into a tanned face. She was a tall woman yet not so tall as her warder Junas, who had the same jet black hair, but with steely, almost cold blue eyes. The only time his eyes softened was when he looked at the Aes Sedai, who never appeared to notice the longing looks which were directed toward her. Even though Iraleia had never been in love nor had love directed at her she knew what that look meant and seethed with jealousy on the inside, for what had never, nor could possibly ever be.

With flaming face and butterflies in her stomach she stifled a yawn with her hand and suspected she would sleep for days if left to. But from the snippets of information she received from Mayarin Sedai she believed she would not have the time, nor be left to do so. According to the Aes Sedai, novices would do chores and run errands in conjunction with their lessons and study. Iraleia had rudimentary reading skills, she could read the basics and sign her name but that is where it ended, so she had no clue as to how she was supposed to learn what was being taught her. She was afraid she would be laughed at and ridiculed because of her handicap and felt perhaps that she would have been much better off left in Caemlyn.

The blonde haired novice turned toward her, motioning her to hurry. Iraleia quickened her pace and dropped her eyes toward the ground, wondering about the woman she was going to meet. Mayarin Sedai had said the Mistress of Novices was a tough but fair woman and only punished those who flouted Tower Law. Iraleia had no intention of making waves in the Tower. She wasn’t even sure she could channel, but the test she undertook with Mayarin Sedai proved otherwise, she just wanted to do as she was told and not be noticed at all. She wondered if through channeling she could make herself invisible. It was an intriguing thought and a thought which ended abruptly as the novice stopped suddenly at a large, wooden door. As blonde girl knocked upon the door, Iraleia’s butterflies returned tenfold. This time caused by nerves instead of jealousy. The other girl smiled at the terror in Iraleia’s face and patted her hand, before turning toward the door and waiting for a reply…

Pia's lips curled in a small, accomplished smile. They day was still quite young, yet already she had finished the day's paperwork, evident by the neat pile of papers placed squarely on the corner of the ancient oak desk. Pia Tovisen enjoyed order, loathing to be behind in any of her work. Today however, it meant she was free to spend time watching the girls under her charge.

It was a joy to Pia, watching the fresh-faced, highly unpolished girls grow and develop as they honed their skills and followed the path that would one day see them gain the shawl of the Aes Sedai. It instilled her with pride, knowing that she had an influence, that she assisted in the moulding of these girls. Sometimes that required a firm hand, and other times a shoulder to cry on. Whatever it took, Pia made it her mission to be there every step of the way. Besides, mingling with the novices and accepted herself helped her pick up undercurrents and moods that would not be easily noticable behind her desk. There was not much that slipped past her notice.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on her door. "Come." She toned, lifting her dark eyed gaze to the door as it swung open. A girl in white curtseyed meekly, before departing without a word, leaving a wide-eyed newcomer in her wake. Pia's brow furrowed slightly. The novice should know better than to not announce the stranger, or even address herself. She would have words with her later. For now, she must deal with the surprise visitor, clothed as an obvious outsider.

"Please, come in." Pia's smile was warm as she waved the girl in, a simple weave of air closing the door behind her with a soft click. "I am Pia Tovisen, Mistress of Novices for the White Tower. How can I help you child?"

Pia Tovisen, MoN

“Come.”

A slightly accented voice called out from the other side of the door. The blonde novice opened the door and ushered her in, bowing to the Aes Sedai before leaving the room.

“Please come in.”

The Aes Sedai smiled warmly. Iraleia entered cautiously, never taking her eyes from the woman before her, behind her the door clicked, causing Iraleia to jump slightly.

"I am Pia Tovisen, Mistress of Novices for the White Tower. How can I help you child?"

Iraleia’s mouth opened but nothing came out, closing it again, she shut her eyes, took a deep breath and spoke so soft she wasn't sure the Aes Sedai would hear her at all.

“Uh… um… my name is Iraleia Surevin... uh... Temarelin, Pia Sedai. I... uh… was brought to the Tower from Caemlyn by Mayarin Sedai to study. She tested me and I can… um… learn to channel.”

Iraleia shuffled her feet, nervously, not quite believing what was happening to her. She stole a glance at the Mistress of Novices who seemed to be eyeing her thoughtfully. She dropped her eyes hurriedly and looked at the hard wood floor which would have seen thousands of encounters such as this. The silence that followed was awkward for no one but Iraleia, she gripped her brown wool skirt in her fist and wished she could be anywhere but here, being studied in silent by an Aes Sedai. Not wanting to engage the woman in eye to eye contact she glanced about the room taking in her surroundings. Though she wasn’t sure why, she knew she would be in this room many times over the next twenty years… TWENTY YEARS!… her brain shouted. She was as shocked now as she was when Mayarin Sedai had first told her the average length of time spent as a Novice. Her thought was then interrupted by the Aes Sedai’s speech.

So skittish! Even after all these years, Pia could still vividly remember how terrified and homesick she had been when she first met the Mistress of Novices. Her name was in the massive tome that rested in her drawer, the record immaculately kept and passed down through the years. Her sister's name was next to it, and Pia often looked at it, when she was alone and idle. Her beloved elder sister had never returned from the arches ter'angreal. Light send that she would never witness such an occurrence ever again whilever she was in charge of training the novices. Pushing aside the old troubling thoughts, Pia smiled warmly at the timid girl and tried to put her at ease.

"Take a seat, child." The girl sank into one of the wooden chairs in front of the desk. "Mayarin Sedai did send ahead word of your arrival." Pia opened the desk drawer and lifted the heavy book onto the desk's polished surface, reverently opening it and flipping through the pages to the most recent entry as she spoke. "And you say she tested you? Yes, I can sense it too. Aha." Pia looked up to find Iraleia looking slightly surprised. Pia remembered that too. How could someone sense something in you, that you lived all your life ignorance of? "As you learn to channel, you will find you too can sense the ability in another channeler." She smiled and smoothed the page in front of her, before dipping a pen in ink and poising it ready to scribe.

"This is the book of Novices, in it is the name of every girl who has studied at the White Tower since the breaking. That is why it so thick. Can you please confirm for me your full name, age, and place of birth?" The pen scratched softly across the parchment in Pia's neat hand as Iraleia recited softly. Signing it with a flourish, Pia dried the ink and rewove a new keeping weave to preserve the ancient book.

"There. Be welcome at the White Tower, Novice Iraleia."

Pia Tovisen, MoN

“Take a seat child. "Mayarin Sedai did send ahead word of your arrival."

Iraleia took a seat as directed and watched as the Mistress of Novices took out a heavy leather bound from her drawer and sat it upon the table almost lovingly. The Aes Sedai flicked through the pages with the utmost care and stopped at where Iraleia’s name would be recorded, perhaps to the end of time itself.

"And you say she tested you? Yes, I can sense it too. Aha."

Iraleia was taken aback at the Aes Sedai’s words and knew surprise showed upon her face.

"As you learn to channel, you will find you too can sense the ability in another channeler."

Iraleia nodded, not really understanding but hoping that the movement would bluff the woman in front of her into thinking that she did. After the Mistress of Novices dipped her pen, she again spoke explaining what the book was for and eventually asking for her particulars. After stumbling through them the Aes Sedai spoke the words that were to seal her to her fate in the tower…

"There. Be welcome at the White Tower, Novice Iraleia."

Iraleia was never a curious girl but she needed to ask questions. Softly she spoke, “Thank you Aes Sedai. Please tell me what will become of me from here, I surely don’t understand what it is I am supposed to do in the Tower and my reading and writing is far from being...good. I’m not really sure I can do whatever it is that you want me to do.” The last sentence was said with a whine and Iraleia shut her mouth, lest she should bring the Aes Sedai’s wrath down upon herself. Looking down and wringing her hands in her lap she waited for a tirade but when none was forthcoming she lifted her head and finally looked the Aes Sedai in the eyes. “I – I’m sorry Aes Sedai.”

Pia could barely hear the new novice, she spoke so quietly, but her anxiety was evident in her words. Pia listened and gave Iraleia what she hoped was a reassuring smile. "You have nothing to be sorry for, child! You are not expected to have all the answers before you become a novice, that is what your training is for." Pia replaced the giant book in its drawer, and rested her hands on the desk as she surveyed Iraleia. "Everything you need to know and more will be taught to you. I will arrange a tutor to assist you with reading and writing, do not concern yourself. Indeed, all women who come to the tower receive the most comprehensive of educations."

"Please do not apologise for your ignorance, indeed your humbleness does you credit. No one knows what this life will be like until they live it, even if they think they do. The most confident of girls often find that difficult to discover." Pia smiled again and rose, crossing the room to a large wardrobe that loomed against a wall. Inside was an array of white novice dresses in different sizes. Selecting one, Pia shook it out to check the size, before carefully refolding it and giving it to Iraleia. "This should be a close enough fit. From now on, you will wear novice white at all times. This dress will do you for today, I will have someone show you to the store room where you will be measured and given several more dresses, along with shifts, shoes, belts, stockings and whatever else you may need. It will be your responsibility to keep them clean and well mended, novices are not to be sloppy or untidy."

Pia once again took her seat and made a few notes to herself on a blank page of foolscap for tasks to be completed for Iraleia. "Now, I should tell you what will be expected of you now that you're a novice." Pia began to explain about proper respect for Aes Sedai and Accepted, about chores and classes, free days and curfews. Poor Iraleia looked rather overwhelmed by the time she was finished, and Pia moved around the desk to pat her shoulder reassuringly. "You will be given grace since you are new, but I suggest you do your best to remember the rules. Being certain to show all Aes Sedai the proper respect will help you. My door is always open, if you have questions, or would just like a sympathetic ear, I am always available." With one last pat, Pia moved past the young girl and opened the door. "Come child, I will show you to your room. We will find another novice to help guide you in the novice quarters, and see about starting your lessons. You may ask me anything you wish, I do not punish questions." Pia waved Iraleia through the door into the corridor.

Pia Tovisen, MoN

Iraleia was strangley calmed by the Aes Sedai's words. She wasn't expected to have complete knowledge and understanding, it was something that she would learn, though the learning was to be hard, she was sure. For the first time in a long time she felt something stir inside of herself, something that made her feel warm. It was hope. Hope for a better life than she would have led in the orphanage or on the streets of Caemlyn, hope for an education, hope for forming friendships and the hope for a bright future. With tears stinging her eyes she took the white dress offered her by Pia Sedai and listened to the rest of the words the Aes Sedai had to say. She was completely overwhelmed by the information the Aes Sedai gave her, but Pia Sedai patted her on the shoulder comfortingly. Iraleia knew it was going to be a long hard road for her to completely strip herself of her past, but it was something she knew she had to do.

When the Mistress of Novices opened the door into the corridor, Iraleia felt that some of the weight of the past had been lifted from her shoulders and she felt light, almost happy. Stepping into the hall past the Aes Sedai she turned toward the woman and curtsied. "Thank you Pia Sedai, for your help and allowing me to join the Tower to study. I hope I do not let you down." Looking up at the Mistress of Novices, Iraleia gave her a small smile.