DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A song of Ice and Fire, discussion (spoilers)

Hallow

Gregor is a landed knight, as was his father before him. They have land, some soldiers and a bunch of smallfolk farmers paying taxes to them. They do have a coast of arms and a small keep (more of a big farmhouse), but are not usually called 'Lords', as they are the lowest of the lowest vassals.

I have to say I was disappointed when the Hound kicked the bucket.

The Hound is dead? Interesting theory :)

Cersei remains the real monster of the series.

Martin did that deliberately. After he 'redeemed' Jaime he knew people were expecting him to do that with Cersei as well so subverted it by making her even less likeable in her own POV chapters.

Some fans I know had problems with that, as Cersei came over as more cunning and more dangerous in Eddard and Tyrion's POV chapters in Books 1 and 2, but in her own appears to be foolish and incompetent. There are some explanations for that, most notably that in the earlier books Cersei had better advisors and rivals keeping her in check whilst in AFFC she is effectively out of control, but I think I agree that Cersei was more interesting when seen at arm's length. The whole stuff about Maggy the Frog was also bizarre and unnecessary. She hates Tyrion because she blames him for the death of their mother and because she now believes he killed Joffrey and Tywin. There's absolutely no need to layer some weird prophecy on top of that as well. That's over-egging the pudding.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cersei remains the real monster of the series.

Martin did that deliberately. After he 'redeemed' Jaime he knew people were expecting him to do that with Cersei as well so subverted it by making her even less likeable in her own POV chapters.

Some fans I know had problems with that, as Cersei came over as more cunning and more dangerous in Eddard and Tyrion's POV chapters in Books 1 and 2, but in her own appears to be foolish and incompetent. There are some explanations for that, most notably that in the earlier books Cersei had better advisors and rivals keeping her in check whilst in AFFC she is effectively out of control, but I think I agree that Cersei was more interesting when seen at arm's length. The whole stuff about Maggy the Frog was also bizarre and unnecessary. She hates Tyrion because she blames him for the death of their mother and because she now believes he killed Joffrey and Tywin. There's absolutely no need to layer some weird prophecy on top of that as well. That's over-egging the pudding.

1. Didn't the prior of the abbey state that he buried Sandor?  Sorry, not sure if you're expressing sarcasm above.

2. Cersei always seemed petulant to me.  Her POV just confirmed it.  All of her 'cunning' plots, when layed out, didn't amount to much more than ruthless ambition.

1. Didn't the prior of the abbey state that he buried Sandor?  Sorry, not sure if you're expressing sarcasm above.

He said he buried "the Hound". Sandor the man, I think, is still alive.

Okay. Let me rephrase.

I disappointed that the Hound will not be player any further significant part in the story. I've only read the books the once and tend to miss information sometimes.

Sorry haven't read the whole of this thread, but you may be surprised I think the hound will be back in the story (he wont be the first person to be brought back to life and has already met the person who can do it).

'The Hound' persona was taken on by another guy whom Brienne killed. Sandor the man is still alive, and almost certainly the large gravedigger mentioned several times in the abbey in AFFC. He has a pet dog (a hound reference) and he is also tending to Sandor's horse, which, as Sandor said prior in the books, no-one else but him can touch without getting their hand bitten off.

Archived