DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A song of Ice and Fire, discussion (spoilers)

Hallow

Simple question so I'll keep it short. I've recently been looking at the fantasy series by George R. R. Martin called "A Song of Fire and Ice" and seeing as I'll be done with The gathering storm soon (Sigh, such short lasted joy) I will need something new to read. Simply put, is this series worth my time, and if I thoroughly liked series as The Wheel of Time, The Dark Tower, The Lord of the Rings (And everything that goes with it) will I enjoy this series to?

Thanks for your time and responses.

Edit: renamed title for discussion purposes.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you would enjoy it.  It's very different from your run-of-the-mill fellowship of heroes type of story though.  Don't get too attached to any one character.  ;)

Two things... it's a little spicy in some spots.... and GRRM is taking his damn sweet time writing a new book.

A Song of Ice and Fire is the pinnacle of fantasy.  Its a must read for any fantasy reader.  The only problem is that the author has SO MANY other projects he works on as well so the books are not coming out as fast as I would like. The series could very well take another decade to complete.  But what is out so far is nothing short of amazing.

It's really good, lot of charcters doing a lot of bad stuff to each other ;D. I got to echo what Tsunami said, where as Jordan's bedroom scences fade to black, most of Martians want you wash your eyes.  Considering the age of some of the charcters.

Also A dance with dragons is taking a good while for him to write, I think its around the 4 year mark now so read the others slow.

Thanks for the replies guys, just ordered the first three books of amazon.co.uk

Only got like 100 pages left of TGS now so I will need something else to read, AsoIaF (Damn thats a long abbreviation)  will do nicely then it seems.

Speaking of needing stuff to read, does anyone have any other Fantasy series/novels to recommend?

Have you read any of Brandon's other books yet? Warbreaker was pretty awesome.

Not familiar with any of his works, I loved how he managed with TGS though (I hope that isnt a spoiler)

Speaking of needing stuff to read, does anyone have any other Fantasy series/novels to recommend?

On the theme of huge sprawling epic fantasy series I have known and loved, you migh try Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars.

Sounds interesting, will check it out.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Yeah, ASoIaF is a must read, but you will be waiting a long while for the fifth book.

Once you've finished those, try Brandon's other works (Elantris and Warbreaker in particular) and if you haven't already, you might want to try Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind. It's the start of a trilogy, he's still working away on the second book. :)

Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy, Liveship Trader trilogy, and Tawny Man trilogy are amazing.  The come highly recommended from George RR Martin himself, who came highly recommended by Robert Jordan.

After ASoIaF I would start reading Assassins Apprentice, the first of the Farseer trilogy.

Plus, the great thing about Robin Hobbs series is that they are actually COMPLETE!!!!  No waiting and waiting and waiting for years and years and years!

Seems like I'll have alot to occupy myself with until Towers of Midnight launces then :D

Thanks for the advice folks, appreciate it.

(Keep em coming btw, can never have to many fantasy series/novels)

It'a worth mentioning that in addition to the four novels out now, there's another three 100-page novellas (adapted as graphic novels) set in the same world that are also pretty good (two out now, the third in February or March). He's also got a whole bunch of other books that are excellent (most notably FEVRE DREAM, the best vampire novel written since DRACULA bar none).

The long waits are frustrating, it is true, but OTOH if you really like the books then there's a large fandom out there and as many mysteries and theories (maybe more now, since TGS answered a lot of them) as WoT. And ASoIaF's version of "Who killed Asmodean?" is actually relevant to the main storyline rather than being a throwaway mystery that's become much more important than it should have done.

Oh yeah, and see if you can spot the tips of the hat GRRM made to Robert Jordan in ASoIaF (they start appearing in A STORM OF SWORDS, I believe) :)

Btw, I'm meeting up with GRRM in Belfast day after tomorrow. I'll let him know we've got another recruit to the cause :)

Btw, I'm meeting up with GRRM in Belfast day after tomorrow. I'll let him know we've got another recruit to the cause :)

Oh! Can you ask him to get HBO to give me a job on the set? I'll do anything, but can't find the details of who to bug about being a PS or a runner or an extra or ANYTHING!

I'm actually enjoying Ice and Fire more than The Lord of the Rings  :D !  I've been reading it since July and am near 500 pages into Feast For Crows.  I am missing Jon and Dany something fierce  :'(.  I hope somewhere down the road we'll get a POV Rickon or Osha so we know how they are doing.  I hope the remaining Starks stay alive and reunite one day.

I'm actually enjoying Ice and Fire more than The Lord of the Rings  :D !  I've been reading it since July and am near 500 pages into Feast For Crows.  I am missing Jon and Dany something fierce  :'(.  I hope somewhere down the road we'll get a POV Rickon or Osha so we know how they are doing.  I hope the remaining Starks stay alive and reunite one day.

..why do you miss them? What sort of diabolical spoiler did you just expose me to?  :o

Anyway..

Gotten about 300 pages into A Game of Thrones now, and really enjoying it. (Spoiler ahead) Was crushed when Lady got executed and Arya had to throw stones at Namira :( I'm a dog lover  ;D

..why do you miss them? What sort of diabolical spoiler did you just expose me to?  :o

None, not to worry. Jon and Dany just don't have any chapters in A Feasat for Crows. :)

None, not to worry. Jon and Dany just don't have any chapters in A Feasat for Crows. :)

Phew.. Was getting worried there for a minute! (I love Jon and Ghost :D)

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Spoiler incoming

Just got to where Eddard Stark tries to disinherit Joffrey, that's probably the most shocking thing I've read in a long time. I actually feel personally rattled and had to put the book down to calm down.

Archived