DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If Rand hearing voices makes him insane is Mat crazy too?

Paladin

Ive never read that blub that you quoted on one of my books, and what are you going on about with excuses? I only gave you the obvious reason why that blurb didnt fit into the big picture book 1-11.

And to add something that should had been in the previous post, this is not a theory of mine that Rand isnt insane, or that I wouldnt call him that just yet. Its a opinion, a impression ive gotten after going through these series a few times, or a judgement if you want to call it that. Its not some who killed asmodeus theory, its what i think after reading through the material at hands. So dont call it that. Obviously im no Rainman, and i know i often get suprised and things i have forgotten/never thought about appears in the books when i reread or on these forums. But none of what ive seen in this thread this far is that.

Its abit funny how you call something denial, when most of your posts havent really brought any points forward that could convince me.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And anyway Rand havent really been life threaten by women that many times as far as i remember. Its the noble women in the beginning of eye of the world, where Rand is to weak to do anything anyway. In all other situations no women have actually threaten him, that is been able to reach past his defence through the power/maidens, etc.
Lanfear. Cairhien docks. He refused to kill her.

By Semiragh, saying something about Graendals telling her, as far as i know.
So? We still have no reason to disbelieve. It just confirms something we already knew. Rand is insane. All the evidence points to that conclusion. Denying it is a denial of the facts, a refusal to listen to reason.

I mean im not a psycholog but there is really no fair judgement on Rand by any of the people in the WOT world.
The fact that he hears another mans voice in his head hardly makes him insane. Maybe in our world, but not the WOT.
See that? The people in the world cannot pass judgement on his mental state, nor can those out of it. In other words, there is no standard of evidence you would accept.

just because hes guilty doesnt mean he is insane.
No-one is saying it does. He feels guilty and he is insane.

I have stated in my first two posts that I was referring to Mat BEFORE he visited the Finns.
We know. It is still not relevant, because Mat is still a completely different case to Rand. One character's sanity does not reflect on the other's. Rand is insane. Mat, with his completely different "symptoms", isn't.

In Mat it is called the Old Blood.

In Rand its Called Insane.

I dont completely agree with that

They are called different things for good reason - they are different. Completely different.

Rand is crazy, that much is clear.

And anyway Rand havent really been life threaten by women that many times as far as i remember. Its the noble women in the beginning of eye of the world, where Rand is to weak to do anything anyway. In all other situations no women have actually threaten him, that is been able to reach past his defence through the power/maidens, etc.
Lanfear. Cairhien docks. He refused to kill her.

By Semiragh, saying something about Graendals telling her, as far as i know.
So? We still have no reason to disbelieve. It just confirms something we already knew. Rand is insane. All the evidence points to that conclusion. Denying it is a denial of the facts, a refusal to listen to reason.

I mean im not a psycholog but there is really no fair judgement on Rand by any of the people in the WOT world.
The fact that he hears another mans voice in his head hardly makes him insane. Maybe in our world, but not the WOT.
See that? The people in the world cannot pass judgement on his mental state, nor can those out of it. In other words, there is no standard of evidence you would accept.

just because hes guilty doesnt mean he is insane.
No-one is saying it does. He feels guilty and he is insane.

I have stated in my first two posts that I was referring to Mat BEFORE he visited the Finns.
We know. It is still not relevant, because Mat is still a completely different case to Rand. One character's sanity does not reflect on the other's. Rand is insane. Mat, with his completely different "symptoms", isn't.

In Mat it is called the Old Blood.

In Rand its Called Insane.

I dont completely agree with that

They are called different things for good reason - they are different. Completely different.

Rand is crazy, that much is clear.

As said pulling things out of my head i couldnt recall that many times women had threaten him, compared to men that is... about lanfear, didnt think about it, but the fact still stands that he havent been under that much pressure of women, which could explain his uncomfort.

No reason to believe semiragh either, no reason to really pay that much mind to a person like that, if you want to keep her alive to withhold laws, fine, but clean things up smoothly and effectively afterwards.

Obviously its not as simple as that, why blindly point at judgement of other people, as unquestionable, when you actually get to experience page after page of Rand thinking and expericing?

And maybe you still think WOT world is this world? or? i dont really get why none of you are even alittle bit open for the possibility of Rand being sane, after reading the books. Again im not saying that he is sane, im saying he might not be insane. Since when you read his characther and at the same time think about the circumstances, you realize alot of things are explainable. Maybe your base of arguements for people who are insane is people who dont fit into your sterotypes.

i still feel that Rand isn't insane, there is no clear example of his insanity. he has not done anything  to merit it yet, all he does is argue with a past life ( a possession) and they are slowly coming closer. until he orders a forest executed and than buried or some such i cannot see it. he is under stress and coping w/ emotional duress as a 20 year old farmer w/ the weight of the world on his shoulders.

if he is insane can someone tell me the classification of insanity talking w/ a true past life and not a figment of his imagination is called? because that is the only display from Rand (and the times in which LTT takes control over Rand)

i still feel that Rand isn't insane, there is no clear example of his insanity. he has not done anything  to merit it yet, all he does is argue with a past life ( a possession) and they are slowly coming closer. until he orders a forest executed and than buried or some such i cannot see it. he is under stress and coping w/ emotional duress as a 20 year old farmer w/ the weight of the world on his shoulders.

if he is insane can someone tell me the classification of insanity talking w/ a true past life and not a figment of his imagination is called? because that is the only display from Rand (and the times in which LTT takes control over Rand)

Have you read Tears from Steel (or w/e Chapter One of TGS is called) yet? He actually talks out loud this time to Lews Therin. That's pretty insane to me.

padric this was never about the gathering of storms. But yes he seems alot lot more unstable in the chapter of the new book... But as said this was never about the next books, it was the impression of book 1-11. At least for me, i never argued for the coming books.

No reason to believe semiragh either
No reason not to. Especially when it fits so well with what we have seen prior to that.

Obviously its not as simple as that, why blindly point at judgement of other people, as unquestionable, when you actually get to experience page after page of Rand thinking and expericing?
Actually, it's because of the Rand povs that we accept it. His list, his apathetic reaction to losing a hand, his paranoia, his lack of control over his temper, other things. Any of them alone might not be too much to worry about, even though they aren't exactly signs of him being the poster boy for mental health, but altogether? His sanity is rather in question. And then Semi shows up to tell us what we already suspected - he's crazy. Just the latest piece of evidence in a long line, and with TGS sure to provide more. Prior to the release of KoD, there might still have been an element of reasonable doubt over whether LTT was a form of madness or not, but now we have had it spelled out. It's clear. Disagreement is no longer reasonable, it's ridiculous.

And maybe you still think WOT world is this world? or? i dont really get why none of you are even alittle bit open for the possibility of Rand being sane, after reading the books.
That would be because we've read the books. Seen the many and varied signs of Rand's declining mental health, had it confirmed quite plainly that he is a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic, and get told things are sure to get worse. We have passed the point where there is reasonable doubt as to his sanity.

he is under stress and coping w/ emotional duress as a 20 year old farmer w/ the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Overstressed 20 year old farm boys can be insane too. Insanity is equal opportunities.

We don't know the term, only that it is a form of madness, and it is far from the only example of Rand's mental state.

Archived