DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wandering alone and afraid...well not quite alone

Windrunner ran threw the forest right on the heels of his next kill. He could sense his packmate close to him ready to make the kill, Hunter silently running keeping pace with the deer. The deer stumbled from exhaustion and Windrunner saw his opening. He sprang jaws closing around the neck for the kill...

Gabe woke with a start. Shivering body covered in sweat. Memories flooded back unbidend. His mothers terrified face when she saw his eyes...eyes that should have been brown. Eyes that were golden, eyes that Gabe did not want. Gabe was an outcast, one look at his eyes and humans would throw him out. He had nowhere to go. He had nothing in way of posessions aside what he was wearing. His life was over, everything and everyone he knew... gone. The realization of this hit Gabe with such force he just collapsed crying and yelling.

It took Gabe a few minutes to realize he wasnt quite alone anymore. He looked up and there was a wolf. Dark grey fur with a few white splotches here and there. Instead of feeling scared and running away for some reason Gabe felt comfortable...as if he knew this wolf. Images flooded his mind. A wolf Grey with white splotches and the images formed a name of sorts, Hunter, then Gabe saw himself.. then a wolf running in the wind and the name Windrunner came into his head. With a start gabe realized this wolf was "talking" to him. He tried asking the wolf questions, how,why,when,what but all the wolf did was stare. After awhile Hunter ,as Gabe thought of him now, gotup to leave, and in his head images came and Gabe knew Hunter wanted him to follow.

Gabe followed Hunter for 3 days eating what food he could find, berries and fruits. Everyday Gabe asked Hunter where they were going and always the same reply.. follow.. No more images came to Gabe besides that. it was a silent three days unit one night Hunter stopped and images burst into his head. Wait brother. someone comes. Meet them here. and with that Hunter laid down to sleep. Gabe confused could not sleep but none the less laid down to wait for this someone whoever it was...

~ Just do it, Sunshine ~

~ No! And don't call me that ~

~ Why not? It'll only take a moment ~

Winifred sighed. Her eyes were locked with her wolf, both radiating from stubborness. Couldn't she have gotten a dog? She heard they were a lot more docile.

~ Because I am not going to scratch your back side. Ever ~

~ But it itches! ~

Winifred blinked. Did Midnight just whine? She didn't know wolves did that. They always seemed so composed, regail and serious. Very serious. But, of course, she had to be the lucky one who got stuck with a special wolf filled with opinions and a way he thought things should be done. Kind of like her, only hairier.

~ Don't make me declaw you. You can rub yourself against a tree later on. We'll find you a pretty one too. But lets get going, we're near and business comes before pleasure, Midnight ~

The wolf didn't respond, but she could feel his eyes on her back. He was going to make her do it later. She was sure of it. But it was in her best interest to let the matter drop for now. Luckily, she was told by a wolf in the sorrounding that the young man she was looking for was waiting for her. She always enjoyed the more laid back pick ups, as opposed to carrying a sack the entire journey back.

Winifred signaled Midnight to stay back as they neared the young man. She spoke casually, a small smile decorating her face. "My name is Winifred. Do you know why I'm here?".

Winifred

Head Tracker

Gabe woke up slowly. He had been dreaming of home, home before his eyes changed. It was a good dream and he wanted to never wake up. But Hunter was there forcing him to wake up.

They are here is all he would say.

So half asleep he sat up to see who "they" were. As she (Gabe was startled it was a woman)approached Gabe the only thing Gabe saw was her eyes. Golden eyes. Eyes like the ones he had, eyes that had made him run in the first place. Gabe was ready to run again but Hunter was not nervous at all and he had trusted him this far. So Gabe settled down to see what this stranger had to say.

"My name is Winifred. Do you know why I'm here?". she asked.

What kind of question was that? Gabe thought. Of course he wouldnt know why some stranger just happend to be looking for him and just happend to know exactley where he was. But instead he said "umm no i have no idea why your here. Ive been following Hunter here" Gabe points to Hunter "I know your going to think im crazy but hes been expecting you,I can talk to him..well sorta talk to him and all hes been telling me is that you were coming here and i had to wait. I am Gabriel Almor. Please tell me what is going on. Why are you here? Why are your eyes golden too?

"Umm no, I have no idea why you're here. I've been following Hunter here. I know you're going to think I'm crazy but he's been expecting you,I can talk to him. Well sorta talk to him and all he's been telling me is that you were coming here and I had to wait. I am Gabriel Almor. Please tell me what is going on. Why are you here? Why are your eyes golden too?"

Winifred sat down and crossed her legs. She knew those questions all too well. She asked them herself when she first came across a Wolfkin. At this point, though, not offering enough information was as dangerous as giving too much. Going through the process was not easy and it often seemed that the truth had to be given in small doses and once in a time for a wanderer to take it all in with calm.

"What's going on? Not much at the moment. I've been guided here to you. What you're going through? I went through it too. As well as others. Yellow eyes is part of the transformation. It's a trait we share. I have come to show you the way to a place where no persecution or intolerance will ever find you. That is, if you are interested in such a sanctuary. Maybe you enjoy running, living your life in fear, always looking behind your shoulder."

Winifred dusted her pants, muttering about dirt and how it bloody gets everywhere in an instant. "As for you being crazy? It's hard to say. I've hardly known you long enough to determine." Grinning, she rummaged through her sack, in search of something. "Well, what are you waiting for? go fetch some wood. We need tea and for that we need a fire!".

OOC: We're going to converse a bit. Feel free to react to what Winifred said and ask more questions.... or just spark a conversation. Whatever comes to you :)

Winifred

Head Tracker

Without realizing what he was doing Gabe leapt up to get wood for the fire. His mind was reeling,and he needed to think quickly a place where no persecution or intolerance will ever find you she had said. A place where golden eyes were accepted. What if shes lying? the way she answered his questions, as vague as possible it could be that she was trying to hide something. Gabe shook that thought away, Hunter trusts her he should try as well. But it was hard to trust her, he knew absolutley nothing about her and she answered every question with a half answer not really answering them at all. As he placed the gathered wood on the ground and sat back down he asked a few more questions hoping to get some real answers out of her.

"Where is this place of no persecution? Why should I trust you in the first place? I dont even know you, you may have golden eyes but thats still no reason to trust you. How were you guided to me? What is the transformation that made my eyes yellow?"

Gabe had so many more questions to ask but figured he could try to get answers a few at a time. If she even answers them anyways. She seemed more intent on getting her tea going. Gabe could almost be annoyed at her, her answers, her tea, her smile, it all frustrated him. lets hear what she has to say and then get out of here. Gabe thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Winifred glanced at the young man, a small amused and tolerant smile on her face. His reaction was so reminiscent of other Wanderers at other times and other places.

She busied herself with the fire, setting some water to boil and sprinkling some of her precious tea into the water to brew. It would not do to rush answering such questions. A wrong word at this delicate stage could do untold damage.

Satisfied with her preparations, Winifred sat back and chose her words with care.

"The transformation is known as the Howling. It is an old thing, older than even Sisters in the White Tower... and no, before you ask, it is not an evil thing. You have no reason to trust me, that's a decision only you can make but I have given you no reason NOT to trust me either now have I?" She winked at him, her eyes filled with gentle laughter. "I was guided to you by the wolves. They let us know when another Wanderer, that's you by the way, needs help. Then the Trackers, that would be me, come to find you. As to the location of our home, that is not something I can share unless you choose to join us. Naturally, we protect the people there by keeping it somewhat of a secret from outsiders."

Winifred watched her new companion closely as she talked, trying to guage his reaction. She sincerely hoped he would not be one of those who decided to be difficult. "Perhaps you have experienced talking with the wolves?" she queried lightly, removing the now boiling liquid from the flames and finding two mugs in her pack to pour them each a drink.

• 2 weeks later...

As he listened to Winifred answer his questions Gabe became no more comfortable than he had been before. All this talk of the Howling, Wanderers and Trackers. Words Gabe had never heard before, and Gabe considered himself a very well read man. The only thing he really understood was the wolves guiding her. Then she asked a question that Gabe could relate to.

"Perhaps you have experienced talking with the wolves?"

Gabe took the tea cup but did not drink any of it. "Well I would not quite call it talking but yes I communicate with Hunter. Hunter is the only reason im still here talkin to you. He trusts you and it seems he thinks i need to follow you to this "Haven" of yours. But I am still not sure." Gabe, forgetting himself, took a drink of tea, it was rather good but he set it down and did not touch it again. "Its been hard for me since my family rejected me, im not sure I could get my hopes up of there being a place where there are more like me." Gabe looked away embarrassed that he had said what he had.

After a bit he looked at Winifred "I still have a few more questions. If this Howling is not an evil thing why do you hide? Why does it need to be secret from outsiders? If its not evil we should be free to go where we please not needing a "Haven". Why did my parents look at me like i was some sort of Trolloc from the books?"

Winifred could tell by the scents flowing from Gabe that he still had reservations and was battling disbelief. The mix of emotions was so strong that she was forced to block it out for the moment in order to concentrate on replying.

“Your tea is not poisoned child,” she commented wryly with a slight smile, sipping her own drink. “You did just watch me make it and I didn’t go to that effort to see it wasted. A hot drink will be very sustaining for you.”

Warming her hands around the hot mug, Winifred considered how best to respond to the boy’s questions. “The wolves trust me for a good reason, the Wolfkin are just that, their kin. Wolves won’t have anything to do with things of the Shadow, indeed they’ll fight them with their last breath. You should listen to Hunter at least if you do not listen to me. As to why we hide...” she sighed lightly before continuing, “have you ever noticed how people are quick to assume the worst when faced with something different? Something perhaps that they don’t understand? Think of an old woman living alone with several cats or a child born with some deformity. How quick are folks to accuse these people of being evil or of being a “witch”? So it is with us. Our eyes and our skills, such as our enhanced eyesight, mark us as different. Many of our number have been chased from their homes by angry mobs, accused of being darkfriends at best and often far worse. Some are beaten, most are taunted. Your parents loved you but they were scared... scared of the unknown... scared of other people’s reactions. Maybe one day they’ll come to understand but... most do not.”

Winifred grimaced in disgust at the ignorance of two-legs. “Naturally we keep our location secret from all but a few trusted friends and allies. We have children among our number as well as wolf companions. Everyone must be protected. Certainly we should be able to go where we like. Sadly “should” is not the same as “can”. We are not exactly prisoners in our homes though as we’ve adapted rather well to our unusual circumstances.”

Her words were interrupted as Midnight appeared silently at her side, sniffing in Gabe’s direction, identifying him. “Don’t be afraid. This is my companion, Midnight. She talks to me just as Hunter talks to you. She also thinks it is time we were moving on and I agree. I will not force you to accompany me Gabe. That is your choice. If you wish to do so though, we can continue talking as we travel.”