DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How does Hanlon (Mellar) escape from Elayne?

Charlz Fel

When Min saw Daved Hanlon in Darlin's camp in Crown of Swords, she saw great violence in his future--presumably worse than awaits the average soldier, or even the very good soldier, or she would not have shivered so.  It seems unlikely that Hanlon has had a chance to fulfill this yet.  Thus, he is probably going to escape from where he is currently held by Elayne as a darkfriend.

This thread is, generally, to discuss how that might happen (or whether, for those who dispute my reasoning).  However, I also have a pet theory about this.  Elayne is likely to have Lounalt (Arymilla's torturer, who became Sylvase's "secretary;" or perhaps was Sylvase's, or her grandfather Nasin's, all along--it is not clear from the text, so far as I know) question the Darkfriends she is holding (Hanlon, Shiaine, and the Black Aes Sedai).  Lounalt is a skilled torturer, and he apparently enjoys his work (Elenia observes, in her point of view, that he "smiles too much" for someone so good at causing pain).  As such, it seems quite plausible that he is himself a Darkfriend.  He would have trouble releasing the Black Aes Sedai, since presumably someone will always be present to hold their shield (Elayne knows how to tie off shields, but on the other hand, she knows from Moghedien that tied shields are vulnerable).  However, he might be able to help Hanlon, and possibly Shiaine, escape.

Circumstantial evidence for this theory: In CoT, I really can't think of any narrative purpose for Elenia's PoV except to establish Lounalt.

Circumstantial evidence against: Lounalt does not appear in the glossary to KoD, which seems to weigh against his having been established for an important role.  (Hanlon, incidentally, does have a glossary entry.)

Even more circumstantial evidence against:

We're into the endgame.  There are umpty-ump important and even longer-standing storylines that require attention and resolution.  No time.  No space.

If Lounalt has any further role to play it will likely be to further a more important storyline than Hanlon's.

But, I agree, Elenia's POV would seem to indicate we might be seeing Lounalt again.

Has it occured to you that the violence is AGAINST hanlon, not by him.

That being said Lounalt works for Sylvase, and there is a solid chance she might be Cyndane--so it may be that a prison break will occur.

We're into the endgame.  There are umpty-ump important and even longer-standing storylines that require attention and resolution.  No time.  No space.

Actually, Hanlon may very well be more important than any of us suspect. After all, hes been about twice under different names, and he managed to latch onto Elayne-at least for a while-as head of her personal bodyguard. Doesnt sound that unimportant to me.

If you think we wont be seeing more of this plot because of a now-nonexistent problem of space and time within the last book, try again. Remember that its being split into three. Brandon isnt leaving as much hanging in the air as RJ was going to, he admits as much in his blog. 

Isn't this thread completely useless? I mean, couldn't it be that the dark things in his future have happened? He killed a couple of people in Caemlyn, and he must have raped more than one woman. Wouldn't the be enough?

So far as we know, he has not raped anyone since Min's vision.  The only thing I can think of that might conceivably have been enough is that he deliberately arranged the deaths of his underlings, at his hand, in order to attain his position as Captain of the Queen's Guard.  And I find even this questionable--the impression I got was that he had a life ahead of him steeped in violence, and I'm not sure he has done enough "naughtiness" to justify this.  But it could be so.

Isn't this thread completely useless? I mean, couldn't it be that the dark things in his future have happened? He killed a couple of people in Caemlyn, and he must have raped more than one woman. Wouldn't the be enough?

So far as we know, he has not raped anyone since Min's vision.  The only thing I can think of that might conceivably have been enough is that he deliberately arranged the deaths of his underlings, at his hand, in order to attain his position as Captain of the Queen's Guard.  And I find even this questionable--the impression I got was that he had a life ahead of him steeped in violence, and I'm not sure he has done enough "naughtiness" to justify this.  But it could be so.

...but do you think we get to see everything some Darkfriend does in his spare time?  :D

Archived