DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lini's Ivory Miniatures

deathgate

Always find something new on re-reads. This time on p 350 in FOH I see a passage about Lini's six hand painted ivory miniatures. Morgase wonders how Lini could afford them on a nurse's stipend. I flash on the other time miniatures are mentioned and they concern Elaida (same book p 290)who has them in one of the three boxes on her desk as Amyrlin. Now I wonder if it is just a coincidence or whether something more sinister is at work. I think Lini / Elaida connection? I now wonder about Morgase's mother who died of a fever while Lini worked for her. Only because RJ foreshadows and hides such things in plain site does such a thought even occur. Rubbish or something?

There are others mentioned who have minitures--Pevara has her family who were killed by darkfriends centuries earlier, and there is another Aes Sedai who also has some, though I can't find it specifically.

Are the ivory miniatures little ivory sculptures/figurines or little ivory tablets with portraits on them? I ask because I've seen both types of art referred to as miniatures. My understanding was that Elaida's were tiny ivory sculptures of animals and Pevara's were tiny portraits painted on ivory. Lini's for some reason struck me as little sculptures but I also didn't remember them being painted. Little paintings make more sense.

Well, if it's foreshadowing of some sort, he failed, as it's not something most people, including myself, have caught, so good observation.  :)

I think it's coincidence that both Elaida and Lini have miniatures. Lini is also quite a bit older than Morgase and has had plenty of time to acquire these miniatures as a gift from someone wealthy, perhaps Morgase's own mother. I have not told my son of every gift I've given to others, nor did my parents tell me of the things they gave to people, and if Lini does not mention the miniatures as a gift either, how would Morgase know? Any acquisition of the miniatures has to come off screen unless we're shown through a flashback or something in a future chapter, and I would rather go with an explanation for them that does not involve conspiracy when there is no other evidence to support such a thing.

I think it's coincidence that both Elaida and Lini have miniatures.

I pretty much agree. The only reason I even posted it was that Lini and Elaida were both in the same place for a while and right after Morgase thinks of the miniatures she thinks of her mother and of how seh died and that Lini was there for all of it. Just kind of seemed a seed was planted. To argue against myself I haven't picked up anything else about lini to be suspicious of and mainly tossed it out there wondering if it triggered anything else. I don't have any indications that the last few books will reveal a bunch of big surprise dark friends but she would be shocking.

Archived