DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A mistake?

random_jak

Forgive me if this has already been covered before; i tried to look for something along the same lines but couldn't find something so i thought i should ask!

This is the 3rd time I've read through the series, and I'm currently on Lord of Chaos.

When Rand is in Caemlyn, and has just been bonded by Alanna, he runs back to the stables on his horse in order to travel away, and it says something along the lines of 'to travel, you must know the place you leave better than the place you arrive'

I am sure this isn't mentioned any other time in any of the books, and all the male characters who travel seem to do so without much forethought for their surroundings etc. So I was wondering if anyone could clarify! :)

Sorry for being pedantic!

Forgive me if this has already been covered before; i tried to look for something along the same lines but couldn't find something so i thought i should ask!

This is the 3rd time I've read through the series, and I'm currently on Lord of Chaos.

When Rand is in Caemlyn, and has just been bonded by Alanna, he runs back to the stables on his horse in order to travel away, and it says something along the lines of 'to travel, you must know the place you leave better than the place you arrive'

I am sure this isn't mentioned any other time in any of the books, and all the male characters who travel seem to do so without much forethought for their surroundings etc. So I was wondering if anyone could clarify! :)

Sorry for being pedantic!

Its mentioned a couple of times in passing, its the same for male or female you need to spend a few hours getting to know the place you travel from before you can open your gateway.

They had to wait around at Dumai Wells so they could open a gateway.

Part of the reasons Rand traveled from certain rooms in the palaces was he knew them well enough to travel.

The two AM with Perrin had to camp out at teh place they traveled from in CoS.

The SAS have specail traveling grounds they depart from.

Grady and Neald always traveled from the same spot in the camp.

If the channeler doesn't know the spot well enough they can make a greater effort to Travel or they can Skim.

Didn't the SAS put some kind of cover around the departing points so that the weaves used for traveling stay hidden? I thought this is why they used the special traveling grounds, not because they couldn't travel from other places in the camp.

Another example is when Elayne and Aviendha in CoT when they are rounding up men from small houses, to quote CoT page 319, "Whoever made the gateway to leave Caemlyn always ended up making all the others until they returned, since she learned the ground at each place her gateway touched, but on each of their 5 trips Aviendha had asked to make that first gateway".

am sure this isn't mentioned any other time in any of the books, and all the male characters who travel seem to do so without much forethought for their surroundings etc. So I was wondering if anyone could clarify!

Im rereading Crown of Swords at the moment and Rand has made several references to this. So has Egwene for that matter.

well you only need to know your surrounding if you are traveling far. if it is only a short distance away, like somewhere else in a city, then you don't have to.

Yes and no--if you are travelling to somewhere you can see you don't have to learn the spot. However that presents an easy shortcut. In KoD Nynaeve travelled immediately from World's End. RJ stated that travelling to a spot meant you learnt it--ergo you could travel to five steps away, and know that spot, and thus travel from it, cutting out the wait.

But yes Random Jak, it is stated many times--to travel you must know the place you are travelling from. To skim you must know the place you are travelling to.

Archived