DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aes Sedai from the AoL.

I had a thought from another thread on this board. If you could channel in the Age of Legends were you required to become Aes Sedai, know I presume it would have been considered a great honour to be Aes Sedai then, but what if someone didn't wish to become one. What if they had the spark? Would they be taught safely then leave the 'training place'.

No, you weren't required to become one. The Guide specifically mentions that some people chose not to. Though if they had the spark they were always trained--presumably to completion. Remember the Age of Legenders did not have the strenuos training requirements modern Aes Sedai have.

I don't think many people would have turned down the chance to be one if they were able to learn. Aes Sedai are well respected and honored in the AoL. Plus they could do much cooler things. There is also the fact they they could have a family because their are male and female Aes Sedai.

I think AS training took decades in the AoL.  The way Forsaken and LTT talk it seems like, along with being experts in the OP, they have a couple of Ph.Ds each in science.

And when the average life expectancy of a channeler is 600 years why not take a 150 of those to learn.

I think AS training took decades in the AoL.  The way Forsaken and LTT talk it seems like, along with being experts in the OP, they have a couple of Ph.Ds each in science.

And when the average life expectancy of a channeler is 600 years why not take a 150 of those to learn.

Yep. It also fits in to why the Forsaken call the modern Aes Sedai "half-trained" the like, because not only are they not as strong but they aren't as knowledgeable.

I don't think many people would have turned down the chance to be one if they were able to learn. Aes Sedai are well respected and honored in the AoL. Plus they could do much cooler things. There is also the fact they they could have a family because their are male and female Aes Sedai.

I think that is a good point.  Also imagine a world without the DO...

Thanks, neila, thats my point, remember there was not taint to worry about and until the bore, no Dark One, so the sky is the limit. Too bad, like alot of other things, the Aes Sedai find out to their sorrow, that there is a limit.

Archived