DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

May WT Org Event: Brown Ajah Book Drive for Children in Need

bookdrivebanner.gif

Two weeks ago, a wildfire ravaged parts of Montague County, TX.  It scorched between 50,000 and 60,000 acres, damaged 110 homes, and killed 3 people.  People lost everything and had to rely on shelters, churches, and the kindness of family, friends, and strangers.

This story of devastation following a natural disaster is all too common.  Fire, flood, wind, tornado, hurricane-- any of these weather hazards can change a family's life forever as all they have is lost in an instant.

For children affected in disasters such as these, the upheaval can cause even greater problems.  The lives they have known are torn from them, and sometimes those closest to them are injured or killed in the disaster. 

How do you cope with a life-changing event of this scope?

As you probably already know, reading is a way to escape the world around you, to put aside the stresses of life and for a short while, be somewhere else.  Whether you are blowing the Horn of Valere or riding along with Harry and Hermoine in the train to Hogwarts, reading lets you enjoy the triumphs and failures of a favorite character and forget about everything else.  Even the smallest reader can enjoy the exploits of Winnie the Pooh or Horton when he hears a Who.  A parent affected by a disaster can forget their troubles and feel at home reading a captivating story to their children, even if home consists of a few cots in an emergency shelter.

The Brown Ajah and White Tower Organization ask you to help provide children of families affected by natural disasters with books to read.  Books collected in this drive will be distributed to families affected by disasters across the United States through shelters, churches, and other charitable organizations.  There will be a thread on the Brown Ajah public board the rest of the year if you wish to report a disaster in your area and families that could benefit from the proceeds of this drive.

If you have used books in good repair you would like to donate or if you decide to conduct a mini-drive among your neighborhood, please send any books collected to:

Claire Williams

466 Campbell Ln.

Springtown, TX 76082

You may also donate new books directly through Amazon, where there is a wish list in place that will ship the books directly.  You can find the wish list HERE.

We will additionally need help with monetary donations, as the books will have to be sent through the mail out to locations in need.  To help with postage, please send a paypal payment to clairekwilliams@odesk.com.

If you would like to help us advertise this event, here is a clickable sig for the event you can put in your profile:

bookdrivesig.gif

[url=http://forums.dragonmount.com/index.php/topic,42825.0.html][img=http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4930/bookdrivesig.gif][/url]

Thank you for your help, and please feel free to post here with discussion or questions!

Sincerely,

The Brown Ajah

This is an awesome project.  I LOVE book drives; it's so true that reading can really help you through some tough times.  Plus I'm such a big book nerd that picking out books for other people is just as fun as reading them myself ;D

I'll be sure to donate.  And also use the sig!

• 3 weeks later...

We have just received three brand spanking new books from a donor through Amazon (the same donor who supplied the postage, in fact!)  I know May is over, but I urge anybody who still wishes to help us out to go ahead and send books whenever you can!  This project is possibly going to become a non-profit soon!

Archived