DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did Rand have sex with Lanfear?

Beli Tsar

Going through Shadow Rising again, and in the chapter titled "Traps", Lanfear enters Rand's dream of Elayne, Min, and now Aviendha in a pond in the Waterwood, but she comes completely naked and after a brief conversation she swims appears directly near him in the water "tangling arms and legs around him." She then murmurs "You cannont escape me, I will make you enjoy this so you never forget, asleep or awake." The setting starts to shift and blur before settling, Lanfear wraps herself tighter around him, and in a vague awareness he wonders that he must know her, or else "why would he be letting her do this?" Rand being Rand, he starts trying to pull away saying the whole situation isn't right, only to have her tighten her grip more or less and it only ends at the appearance of a blurry Asmodean who scolds Lanfear for not controlling her "appetites."

I'd always assumed Rand had be sporting his V-card up until his tumble with Aviendha over in the land of the Seanchan, because from all of his povs, despite being sought after by numerous women from book one, he always seems to have a heightened sense of propriety and trying to "do right" by women, not to mention a farm-boyish innocence indicated by his many flushes at the mere mention or sight of anything sexual.

So yeah, did he or was I perhaps just mis-interpreting it? RJ never was one who referred to sexual matters in the most obvious terms (think "pillow friends" or "cuddling" and "tickling" the girls as Mat would say), except perhaps with the Forsaken, and I can't recall thinking that those two had sex on any of my other read throughs.

I don't think he did, though had Asmodean not interrupted, who knows what might have happened. However, Lanfear taking such a hold on Rand, I think she did it for the purpose of dragging him into Tel'aran'rhiod and out of his own dream. The evidence for this is Lanfear's tooth marks. I think this is what enabled Asmodean to notice Lanfear, he could stalk Lanfear in the World of Dreams, but finding someone in someone else's dreams must be impossible except perhaps by accident. Dunno what Lanfear intended to do to Rand, though, in T'a'r.

Remember what she said about making him desire it many times over or such.  I think that's part of why she was drawing him into Tel'aran'rhiod.  As for whether they had sex, I'd say no.

That was part of her goal, however, yes.

Asleep or . . . ? Everything shifted, blurred. She wrapped herself around him tighter, and the blur went away. Everything was as it had been. Rushes filled one end of the pond; leatherleaf and pine grew almost to the water’s edge at the other.

“I know you,” he said slowly. He thought he must, or why would he be letting her do this?

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. It's very possible that when Lanfear wraps herself around him tighter and everything comes into focus, that could be Rand, uh, climaxing.  The words RJ uses to describe the beginning of the dream might certainly seem to suggest that Rand was ready to swipe his v-card, if not in the middle of a wet dream:

Eyes closed, Rand stroked through the water. Nicely cool. And so wet. It seemed that he had never before realized how good wet felt.

I mean RJ could have used a million other words with less sexual implications wet (the italics are even his!). At the very least this appears to be a wet dream...I think I'm leaning more towards the interpretation that they got started but the appearance of Asmodean made them pull out. That would explain why Lanfear was so upset...

I mean RJ could have used a million other words with less sexual implications wet (the italics are even his!).

Yes, of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that he's been riding through the desert for days ...

Wow, people.  Are we in an over-sexed culture or what?!  Of course, Lanfear had intentions, but it definitely didn't go that far.

Just ... wow.  You know, I enjoy swimming, I enjoy the feeling of being wet, especially when it is warm, and it has absolutely nothing to do with sexually induced vaginal secretions.

Yeah it's just like with the word hard just because you say "this is hard" does not mean it is in a sexual context. I mean what other words do you describe water other then wet? I mean it DOES feel good to go swimming when you haven't in a long time.

Yes, of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that he's been riding through the desert for days ...

Wow, people.  Are we in an over-sexed culture or what?!  Of course, Lanfear had intentions, but it definitely didn't go that far.

Just ... wow.  You know, I enjoy swimming, I enjoy the feeling of being wet, especially when it is warm, and it has absolutely nothing to do with sexually induced vaginal secretions.

I only mentioned this cause the wording seemed so vague if she was trying to or they actually did. Especially since it would've made a great deal of sense for her to have seduced him at some point by now, considering that with his sense of doing right by women that would've tied a string to him for sure. But again, yeah, just couldn't figure from the wording if it actually occured or not to some degree.

I.. dont.. understand... Are you making this into a.. bad thing?

Im confused...

All's I'm saying, is that a 21-year-old guy is dreaming about one...two...three...four beautiful [naked] women, and RJ writes about how good it feels to be wet in that dream. I don't think it's that far of a stretch to maybe assume RJ was having a little bit of fun with the readers. As someone else  mentioned, RJ is known to use euphemisms, metaphors, and symbolism to express the more carnal nature of his characters...

Asleep or . . . ? Everything shifted, blurred. She wrapped herself around him tighter, and the blur went away. Everything was as it had been. Rushes filled one end of the pond; leatherleaf and pine grew almost to the water’s edge at the other.

“I know you,” he said slowly. He thought he must, or why would he be letting her do this?

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. It's very possible that when Lanfear wraps herself around him tighter and everything comes into focus, that could be Rand, uh, climaxing.  The words RJ uses to describe the beginning of the dream might certainly seem to suggest that Rand was ready to swipe his v-card, if not in the middle of a wet dream:

that thing about the blur is probably just Lanfear bringing him in to Tel aran Rhiod and not climaxing as you say.

and what is a v-card?

::)

At any rate it's the dream world so it doesn't count.

why do people keep saying this ??? if what happens in the dream world doesn't count for anything then how do you explaine the fact that what ever happens to you in the dream world becomes real in the waking world and can "KILL" you ???

Only if you let it be real, for most it doesn't.

semantics and sophistry... if it can affect your reality then it happend... if it happend it's real... if it's real then it doesn't matter where it happend... the important thing is that it really happend !!!

::)

At any rate it's the dream world so it doesn't count.

why do people keep saying this ??? if what happens in the dream world doesn't count for anything then how do you explaine the fact that what ever happens to you in the dream world becomes real in the waking world and can "KILL" you ???

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Shard was making a Terry Goodkind reference.  In the Sword of Truth series, Richard and Kahlan have sex in the dream world and it doesn't count towards consumating their marriage because it was in the dream world.

I think.  It's been YEARS since I read the Sword of Truth books.  I lost interested after Pillars of Creation I think.

Archived