DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

End of the Cup, but the beginning of new hopes.

Wayfarer

Well, disappointing way for it to end for the Socceroo's. 0-1 to Italy due to a penalty in the dying seconds of additional time. Even if the penalty was dodgy, to be fair perhaps Materazzi (sp?) shouldn't have been red carded so quickly. Despite the fact I think Italy did alot of diving (especially at the end), from the sounds of it some of the other contenders like Portugal aren't much better. Personally I hope Italy takes the cup, that way we can say Australia went down to the Cup champions as opposed to 5th place :)

I do reckon from this Australian soccer (football, I know) will get a really decent boost with the publicity. Plus there is the Asia cup in twelve months, Japan are their champions and Australia beat them in the very first game. While we might not have the Fifa cup to Australia's name anytime soon, the Asia cup is looking a real chance. Add to that the popularity boost it will get from World Cup fever, in the years to come hopefully there will be a stronger team for it.

Besides which, Australia can console itself with the fact that the Socceroo's didn't need to fake their way through a match.

congrats to the Socceroo's! what a gutsy showing! you Aussies should be very proud of your guys.

and yes that PK was a joke! but Jamesy is right, the officiating was bad all the way around, much like in the USA-Italy match in group play. :x

Don't whine James...I mean..we (the dutch) got exterminated by a referee who is clearly a mental patient. I don't have the exact numbers around...but Portugal made 10 fouls and received 9 yellow cards, while the dutch made 15 fouls and received 7. While our own coach made some lousy mistakes that match as well, next world cup I'd prefer a referee who knows what he's doing :P

But then again, that penalty against italy was pretty lousy as well...but yeah..Fifa needs big (in soccer)countries in the later round, makes for a lot more income..The referees are just a bit too aware of that..:S