DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[GAME] The Violence Tax

Emperor

Pennsylvania is trying to figure out ways to tax "violent games". The topic was recently discussed during a meeting of the State's House of Representatives. According to Game Politics, two actions are being considered:

"One suggests that a 5% tax be levied on sales of violent games with proceeds used to fund a parental education program. A second ponders whether state tax incentives could be withheld from companies which create violent games."

I don't see how this could possibly work. Are there any measures that impose additional taxes on violent movies, television shows, books, or comics? Who determines which games are violent and by what standard? In a literal sense, Super Smash Bros. is all about violence. The whole thing sounds preposterous.

What is my state doing?  What will this accomplish?

Pennsylvania is trying to figure out ways to tax "violent games". The topic was recently discussed during a meeting of the State's House of Representatives. According to Game Politics, two actions are being considered:

Pennsylvania

The very first word of the article.

• Community Administrator

The whole 'censor movies/books/video games' or 'tax em to death', just like 'tax smoking to death' is neither a liberal, nor a conservative issue... Its more of. Who's the biggest idiot and how can I get the other idiots to follow what I say issue...

Guest dragonsworn1991

Yeah that sounds totaly lame. People should be able to buy games if they want. Its not like there harming society.

This is absurd

They should instead make it harder for young 'uns to buy games for which they are clearly not mature enough

Almost every retail outlet requires you to be 18+ to buy games that are rated M.

Bestbuy,

walmart,

gamestop all have that policy.

But theres no policy against parents buying games for the children.

And 9 out of 10 times, the parents buy games like Grand Theft Auto 4 for there 6 year olds, then comeback bitching a week later because of how violent the game is.

This is absurd

They should instead make it harder for young 'uns to buy games for which they are clearly not mature enough

Almost every retail outlet requires you to be 18+ to buy games that are rated M.

Bestbuy,

walmart,

gamestop all have that policy.

But theres no policy against parents buying games for the children.

And 9 out of 10 times, the parents buy games like Grand Theft Auto 4 for there 6 year olds, then comeback bitching a week later because of how violent the game is.

In this case, they should seriously start educating adults as to what videogames actually entail. I reckon this might be somewhat less of a problem in thgeneration has grown up with videogames all the way, but I see it in mym as I do in many other parents. As I tried explaining GTA IV to her, se refused to accept it as anything else than a sex and murder-sim, even though there is so much more to it. The parents, I think, really don't know anything about these games, which is why they'll buy any game for their kids only to get shocked at what it is they're actually playing.

Such is the tale of misinformation. People NEED to pay more attention to the ESRB. And besides the fact that some people are simply RETARDED. If they see the letter in the lower left hand corner, they know the gist. If they look on the back of the case, it is more detailed. It is quite elementary.

Exactly, and at least the ESRB is 10x better then the ratings for movies. At least these tell you EXACTLY what you'll find in the game. I don't really get how people can say its 'difficult to understand'.

"Hmm, Strong sexual themes, Strong language, Strong Bloody Violence. That sounds fun and not to bad for Timmy  :D"

Two days later

"WHY DID YOU SELL THIS TO ME! I HAD NO IDEA IT WAS GOING TO BE SO BAD FOR MY 10 YEAR OLD SON! >:( I'M SUING YOUR @$$ FOR THIS!"

I actually heard a woman say that second quote to a cashier in GameStop. I found out what the game was, and it was rated M and contained the things from the first quote in the gameplay.

Archived