DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Service Project Week #2 - How to help a Women's Shelter

Mendorah

Here's a very worthy cause with which I am not very experienced.  My grandmother used to talk about women's shelters a lot, so I'm abit ashamed to say that I've not yet gone the route of volunteering with one.  This is one public service I am most ready to learn something about. 

Since I am not near as knowledgable in how I can help a women's shelter, I'm just going to talk about the few things that I do know and I'm hoping that those of you who have done this sort of work before can fill in some more information.

Other than monetary donations, I think the biggest help a women's shelter can recieve is clothing donations.  Many of the women in these shelters had to leave their homes with nothing but the clothes they were wearing and in some cases, those clothes could be ruined.  Women's shelters not only have need of everyday clothing for women to live their lives in, they also need clothing suitable for professional environments as many of these women will be receiving training and looking for jobs to re-build their lives.

Speaking of training, if you have any skills that you can teach, you might want to ask a shelter if they need instructors.  Some shelters, depending on their structure, may actually teach life and work skills themselves.  Do you know Quickbooks?  MS Office?  Databases?  These are skills which can help a woman attain a better paying job than if they didn't have these skills.  Or can you give a scholarship to help send a needy woman to take a few classes at a community college?  Not only will a degree help her earning power, but it is proven that an education is a step on the road towards higher self-esteem and empowerment.

There are also small items you can you can give to help.  Do you have books or magazines that you are ready to throw out?  How about old movies?  If the shelter allows children on campus, I'm sure they'd really appreciate having toys for those children.

If you are ever in doubt, just call the shelter, they'll be happy to tell you exactly what they need.

Many Women's Shelters(at least in my area) work a bit like a Salvation Army/Goodwill Store.  Donations can be anything from clothing to small electronics.  These items can be purchased cheap, and the monies earned go towards helping women(Especially abused/battered women) with financial situations. 

The scholarship is actually a really good idea!

Any information about this would help me :) I'm trying to get nito a habit of volunteering. When I am able I would love to donate to a women's shelter!

My guess is that they would gladly take donations of any items that would help the women set up homes of their own and start their lives anew.  Some of the women in shelters appear there right after escaping from an incident of abuse, so they might have nothing but the clothes on their backs.

And some of these women will have kids in tow. I suggest toys, puzzles and etc. But, check with the center you plan to donate to. ;) They can always use food donations. Whatever you have in your cupboards that you haven't used in... weeks, and have no immediate plans for.... take it.

Women who go to shelters are there for many reasons, from lost their jobs and homes to, spousal abuse situations. They'll need everything that you would need. ;)

Archived