Arie

Somewhere weakness is our strength,

And I'll die searching for it

I can't let myself regret such selfishness

My pain and all the trouble caused,

No matter how long

I believe that there's hope

Buried beneath it all

The day was warm. With crisp blue skies with lightly mackerel clouds, the golden sun shone with warm as it prickled the bare skin. The trained blue-green eyes gazed over the Yards as she slowly rode in on the large Brown. Light strands of her short blond hair caught the soft winds that battered away at the distant clouds without stealing what warmth the sun offered. It was hard leaving behind her son from all of this. Although he had many adopted Aunts and Uncles, she felt safer knowing that he could grow up in a place that did not hold the violence, the instability of the Tower during the final years until the Final Battle. She could not offer him a proper life in the Tower or away from it. It was best that she left him. Adain would take good care of Jamie -if only so his younger sister didn't ram a 6 foot sword through his legs.

Everything felt different, as Cairma expected; little had changed in the White Tower since her little retreat away from the divinely lit white walls. Scattered groups of men and women littered the Yards in training much like she remembered months ago. It was peaceful. Unbroken peace of rhythmic repetition of the Yards finest was just as she expected it to be, but hardly what she remembered. The last time she returned from taking time away for the sake of her Son's birth this peace would have been unbroken with cries of dismay and laughter no doubt from one prank or another. But now, they were all gone. Those she knew were gone. Which left one thought for her to ponder as she dismounted from Naran. Who replaced them?

Brand was gone to his lovely wife, who became the next Commander of the Guard? And Vasya, was he still around? Jaz wasn't inclined to return last she checked but maybe the man changed his mind. She hoped he did. He was good people -as Jain would say. What had her worried still was facing her bonded. She didn't know if she was ready just yet to announce herself to the woman she abandoned for her Son. Jaydena was understanding, but even Cairma would not fool herself in thinking the woman would wait before bonding her again. Her head might still be on her shoulders and her mind mostly intact, but the female bond... the heart was not yet healed. She didn't need Jaydena feeling that sort of pain as of yet.

Tossing the saddlebad over her shoulder, Cairma shot smiles and waves to the ones that offered. It was nice to know a few recognized her -not that she was entirely hard to forget with the previous antics. Cairma bemused the past few years that kept her a fair distance away from the Tower, with Adalon, Kandor, and Cairhien. More traveling than she had expected. Yes, it was much better that Jamie was not with her. Taking the direction towards the office of the Master of Arms, She wondered if Bryon was still residence there. Maybe her old room was still open. With the large cast of grandmasters leaving the yards to retire, Cairma doubted that her shared room with Lyssa had been filled too easily.

Lyssa, that would be another interesting meeting. She had not spoken to the woman in a long time and had not offered much in the way of keeping communications open. Perhaps her own fault, but if the woman was not interested in sharing a room with her again that was also something Cairma would have to live with. "Ah, well... Can't have everything." She said under her breath. Reaching the Barrack Office, she gave the door two good solid knocks. "Please let this be painless..." Cairma whispered.

Cairma Vishnu

Returning Tower Guard

(Former Warder)

Kynwric was cleaning after what seemed a short night, he had even slept in some to try and recover the lost sleep. He could feel the knot in the back of his head and that knot was frustrated. He'd have been more concerned about that frustration if he didn't know that Loraine was busy in meetings with her Ajah today. Those meetings almost always produced a sense of frustration in her. He thought to himself, Too much more of this and she'll be ready to leave the Tower again, duties or not. Kyn didn't exactly mind that thought, they'd spent too much time cooped up here as it was, in his opinion. Of course in his opinion he wouldn't spend more than a fortnight within these walls.

Kyn heard the knocking on the door from down the hall a little way, he resisted the curiosity to poke his head out and see who was knocking on Bryon's door. he took the few moments to finish tidying his room before picking up his lathe and heading out into the hall. He was dressed in his training clothes, just a pair of breeches and loose shirt with boots. the lathe was casually held against his shoulder. He turned and saw a moderately tall woman with short blonde hair standing in the hallway. In fact, right in front of Bryon's office door. he took in a deep breath as he had to pass her to exit the hall and began to walk down the length of the hall. Finally he was nearing her and saw her head turn to regard him. He stopped, nodded a greeting to her. "I don't think Bryon is in at the moment. Usually, the door is open when he's in the office."

Daemon has become a very rare sight in the Yards, and something of a bad luck charm. He has become even colder than he was before. Not that he was the life of the party before but since the accident he has closed himself off even more. His visits to the Yards usually ment that some unlucky trainee, or trainees, has a good chance to end the day in the infirmary, or that he is out argue with the top brass for something. And by the determination that he was heading with to the brass offices ment that this time it was the second. The trainees were in luck today.

However, the day had planned a surprise for Daemon. Once he entered the office building and stormed towards the Commander's Office he saw that someone was already trying to knock the door down. And a rather familiar someone at that. There already was someone informing her that the Commander was not in the office.

"I doubt that will stop her from knocking the door down, Kynwic, she was always a stubborn girl and once she sets herself a goal there is no stopping her"

Cairma turned at the sound of the familair voice.

"Well, it was about time you came back to pay your old mentor a visit, girl." - even though Cairma had long pass reached the titles of Blademaster and Grandmaster, Daemon still addressed her like he used to when she was training under him. - "And good thing you did, I was getting rather bored. Welcome back, Cairma"

Daemon

another ressurectee

It didn't take long for her to have an answer one way or another. Turning around, Cairma was surprised to see Kynwic standing there. Never approached before by the Tower Guard, she measured him with a trained eye and a smile. Solid stance and good shoulders, she could see that he had advanced in the years she had been away. Advanced enough to have her impressed and wonder if he would actually be a decent sparing partner for her slightly out-dated style. Opening her mouth to answer, a familiar voice from behind her kept her momentary silence as yet another surprise turned the corner.

"Daemon! They actually let you out of those shackles and into the daylight? They must be desperate for entertainment if they got you running loose." She gave him a light hug and stepped back with a smile. "Good to see you again. And Kynwic, You've grown in to your sword I see. Not listening to this old man I hope."

"Well if Bryon isn't here do either of you know where he is? Or Lyssa for that matter? I need a place to throw down the saddle bags and figure out how to get back into the routine of this place." She caught a look from Daemon that she quickly answered, "No, I'm not bonded anymore. I'll need quarters in the Barracks and since I don't know who replaced Brand . . ." She paused in half thought, "Who's the new Commander? Or is he not replaced yet? What's been going on around here since Kandor?"

Questions, many questions whirled around her head as she saw the looks behind both their eyes. Feeling like the trainees she passed, Cairma waited with hope that nothing bad happened. Thats not to say that with Sirayn Sedai as Amyrlin much good could be done, that is to say if Jaydena was still holding her own.

Cairma

Oldschool

"Me? Listen to him? Light forbid... you know I was never any good at listening to any one, let alone him." Kyn relaxed a bit and listened to the questions, answering as best he could. "Bryon is Master at Arms at the moment, officially Brand is still Commander of the guard... but really Bryon has been filling that position as well. As for a room, find an empty one and claim it, or share one with someone you know. There isn't much call for mandatory sharing as so many of us are gone. There's a lot to catch you up on, much has happened since you left."

Cairma chuckled. Only the best in the yards were the ones that caused the most trouble. The 'good ones' were generally weeded out as only obeying orders got more people killed then the ones that could think on their feet. Its what made the majority of the senior warders far more sarcastic in their humour, old rags and out grown rascals. A small aspect of the yard, and of friends, that she missed while she was gone.

That melancholic smile brought a nod to her head. "Byron is taking too much, I think, but He's always been like that." In taking a sharp breath, Cairma sighed before starting to walk away from the office and towards more of the year and the Common Rooms. "Sounds like a story over a pint or two. If either of you have the time, care to join me? I can worry about a room after if the stories don't scare me away first?"

Cairma

Ooc: Away for the weekend. See you all on Tuesday!

True to the role of a grumpy old man Daemon let out a sound that could be taken as bah and hmpf rolled into one. Kynwric did not lie when he said he did not listen to Daemon. The Ren'Shai showed up in the Yards very rarely, and even more rarely did he speak to anyone. So it would be rather hard for Kynwric to listen to Daemon even if he wanted to if the latter didn't speak. Plus, after the Green Advocate being burned down it was not like Daemon was the most desired man in the Yards to talk to. However, he still had a trick or two to show to these youngster, and not all included drawn swords.

"Well, they do need someone too keep an eye on you young whippersnappers and make sure you do not stab yourself in the foot - again! Plus, they also seem to think that us old men still can hold the fort."

He moved in closer to give his former mentee a slap on the back.

"I'm glad to see you back, Cairma. At least now there is one more Ren'Shai around here. You would not believe the new initiates - they still struggle with the mudballs. I dread to think what will happen once we get to pain endurance ... Anyway, since you have so graciously offered to buy us some pints I will gladly take you up on that offer. I can use a drink in good company. Us old men just love to have youngster around and torment them with stories from when we were their age."

Well, she has started it.

Daemon

playing the old man

Her laugh resonated a bit of the warmth that she missed at Daemon's light-hearted shots at the younger generations. "And who's fault is that now, old man? Maybe if you came out of that little cave of yours a little more they would be in better shape. You didn't do half bad with me, after all. Besides, you are not that old." She stuck out a tongue at him in a very child-like fashion. Something Jamie often did when he thought she wasn't looking. "How are you, how have you been, since the Advocate... You holding up alright?"

They walked along and found their way to the common Rooms, finding seats and Cairma ordered a round for them. Settling back, she engaged her company yet still watched a game of daggers from across the room. Never good at the game, it brought painfully good memories. Memories she needed to deal with at some point, but maybe just not today. Cairma had only just got back after all.  "So, Kynwic, you must be close to Blademaster now. Hows the training going? Gotten out of the Yard yet?"

"Training is a chore, much as it has always been. Only now it is from the other end. I now have an appreciation for the patience my masters taught me with." He then pointed to the nick at his neck. "Grandmaster, just a couple days ago. And I've spent a good while away from the Yard, I've been bonded to Loraine Sedai of the Green for nearly the whole of the time you've been gone and we've traveled here and there doing wthis and that... you know how that goes." He said with a shrug. "I know a good place to get a nice brew, it isn't too far from here."

• 2 weeks later...

"I'd have you know, young one" - the words young were like understruck - "that I happen to like my cave. It's dark, damp, cozy and secluded. And no one can hear the trainees scream."

That last one did bring the two before him to laughter. However it was time for the act to stop

"I still am not over the hill as you noted, Cairma, and while I still do train and teach with the same dedication as before but it seems Ren'Shai simply scares most of the trainees away. The ones who stayed - well they are a few with very good promise though none quite as talented for the Ren'Shai as you were."

Leaving Cairma wondering on weather the old man has just made her a compliment or not he turned to Kynwic.

"So you've been aswering the call of duty? No wonder I haven't seen you in a while. After all, they are not that many blademasters left as of current so to not meet them all in two years even with my social habits. I do not know Loraine Sedai that well, but judging by that you look to be in perfect health, I would say she is a rather sober minded Green who does not charge first and think later, as the stereotype of the Greens goes. And I believe I haven't congratulated you yet on your promotion. I will see to redeem that once we get to the tavern."

So far Daemon has avoided Cairma's last question, however it was not in Daemon's style to dodge questions, even painful ones.

"I am holding, as you see. Though perhaps it was for the best that you were not here when that happened. I caused something of a racket around here when that happened. Now I am one of the few people in the club of three times Broken and lived to tell the tale. Which somewhat explains my social calendar and habits."

-Green. Jaydena.- That was a thought she felt best left for another time. Or just not know.

"Yes, Congratulations on achieving the Heronmark. It isn't an easy feat, but just don't let that go to your head. Good Ajah, the Greens. I think we all have but the best things to say of that Ajah. You are very lucky, Kynwic." Cairma smiled as she sipped her pint. "And I'm glad things are going decently well for you, Daemon. The fact you are still alive atests enough to your fortitude. Why you have not been rebonded is also probably because you stay in hiding. Planing to live as a hermit or will you ever put yourself out there again? An Aes Sedai would be very lucky to have you by her side, I think."

"And what of the Tower? Has our Amyrlin, Sirayn Sedai, brought cause to any more battles since I last left? I haven't heard of any news since I left after Kandor." She saw a look being exchanged. She worried for Jaydena Sedai, knowing the two were rivals. Should something happen to Sirayn it would undoubtably effect Jaydena as well. Apprehensive about meeting up with her former bonded, Cairma still could not help but worry over the woman. Worry for the Tower.

Kyn smirked at Daemon's assement of Loraine, "I actually attribute my good health to pure, blind, dumb luck. I've never known a sober minded Green... as for the call of duty, well that takes me where she will, when she wills." He shrugged, it was all common knowledge that Warders followed where their Aes Sedai went.

He nodded his thanks to Cairma for the congratulations and then Kyn glanced as Daemon and then he turned back to Cairma. he licked his lips and then spoke soft and even toned, trying as hard as he could to not betray his own feelings about what had gone on. "Sirayn Sedai went missing, for a long while. The Hall declared her dead and vacated her seat. Since then Shevara Sedai is raised Amyrlin Seat. I don't know, Daeom may have a better grasp on it than I do." Kynwric knew that was the short simplistic version of what had gone on, but the politics and twists and turns were too much to give an accurate accounting for he had only re-arrived at the Tower himself in the middle of the deliberations about Sirayn.

• 3 weeks later...

Sirayn Sedai, gone. An Amyrlin just up and disappearing seemed highly suspicious, but for it to be truth. Cairma shook her head in thought and disbelief. "That's not right..." She murmured below her breath as the cup of ale in her hand became forgotten to the thoughts that swarmed her mind. Not thoughts of the Aes Sedai, at least not as a whole, nor to the thoughts of the Tower but to two women in her life undoubtably effected by this change. Jaydena who always stood in that woman's shadow, quivering with multiple emotions if even the woman glanced her way or crossed her path. Sirayn Sedai's disappearance would have untold tolls upon the woman and Cairma wondered, worried, to the extent it burned her.

And there was dear Lyssa. She had yet to greet the woman since her return and that was yet another meeting she dreaded. Lyssa had a fearsome temper. Turning to Daemon, Cairma asked with words carefully thought, "And what of you, Daemon. Time has changed and with the horrors of Kandor and that of many other wars raging the countryside. Is the Tower worse, or better for this change?" She looked him in the eyes, "Are we unknowingly handing the Light into the hands of the Shadow we fight?"