DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Dice Project : Crowns

Rellak

Hey Everyone,

Well Lets see here *Rolls dice* "Yes I hit The King".

To me that sounds amazing, so my project for WoT (really my contribution to the cause) is to create "Crowns". This is based off Mats game with Comar. I've read about as much as there is written about the game, in the books and online. I've discovered enough to make the die and rules, now the only process is to create the die which I'm also in the process of. So really this is for anyone that is as crazy as me and wants to play Crowns too, send me a PM and ill keep you updated on how the cause is going and ill send updates with pics and such.

So far I'm adding the dice cup which will be branded with Ouroboros and a leather pouch for everything.

I'll also post pics with different designs for the die, feel free to comment aswell.

Any comments and critism is appreciated.

Rell

I play an MMORPG based on WOT, and in it, there are taverns where you can dice. Crowns, in this game, is the same as regular dice, except that the symbols on the dice are different.  :P

I know that the game's creator would be interested in a viable and unique game of crowns, rather than just regular dice with different pictures, so if you can keep me posted on the rules, I would love to share the mechanics of it with the game creator so that we can play "real" crowns in the tavern.  :)

I play A Game of Stones, and there is a forum for discussion of it here on Dragonmount. Just scroll down the forums a ways, and you'll find it. Right now, it is in a Beta for a new version to be released on Sunday evening. We'd love to have you!

There is a much older one called WOTMUD, but I do not play that one--it seems complicated, while Game of Stones is simple.  :P

Here's a link to the Game of Stones forum, and the link to the Beta test is part of the flashing banner on the home page. Feel free to join and get your toe in the  water. I am playing as Coel Hen, in the Celtia clan, and I'll be happy to help you get comfortable in the game. It is not very heavy on the role playing, but some clans have forums with role play. I am Amyrlin in the White Tower clan from that game, and we play on our forum, so if that interests you at all, you could join the White Tower when we form up in the new release on Sunday.

GoS Forum (not the one on Dragonmount): http://gosos.proboards80.com/index.cgi

Kilika, the way it works in the game, is you click a button, and the die are determined randomly. I do not know how it is coded, but the results of both dice games are similar to yahtzee or poker...pairs, three of a kind, full house, etc. In Crowns, it is with symbols, in Tops, it is with regular dice. I am sure that the game's creator would enjoy putting a cooler version of Crowns together, as I saw him mention it on the forum once.

EDIT: Actually, here...I snagged the link to the Beta test: http://gos.talij.com/index2.php

Ok, well I've made a template of the die for Crowns, feel free to print a few off and play around. Aswell I would love to make this a group project where its not only me whos designing these.

WOT fans unite XD

Check it out.

Crownsdie.jpg

The cards that are being used when Mat gambles with some nobles at the start of TSR have the following suits : Flames, Cups, Rods, Coins and Winds. It would make sense within randland then to have the Cups and Rods (wands?) along with the Crowns, although I'm not sure if actual faces for the dice are listed anywhere.

And why would the fact that Jordan is a Christian influence his choice of symbols in a fictional universe? He has dragons and what amounts to a Yin-Yang as his primary symbols y'know...

Heres some references for the dice, i got this off the site I used for info aswell.(link at the bottom)

Rattling the dice in the leather cup, Mat spun them out on the table. They stopped with two crowns, two stars and a cup showing. A fair toss; no better… The blue-eye man’s toss rolled across the table, and the dice stopped showing three crowns, a rose and a rod.

- Lord of Chaos, Weaves of the Power

The loaded dice Comar used for Crowns showed three crowns and two roses, and was a throw that would be very unlikely to be beaten (The Dragon Reborn, A Storm In Tear).

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=112

Just throwing my hat into this...

One of the projects for the Band of the Red Hand ORG is to create a Dice Roller allowing us (and then DM once we have tested it) to play "Crowns" and the other gambling games mentioned in that thread. We currently have a dice roller set up for our ORG Game (a random number generator) and I plan to duplicate this and modify it. I got interest last year inside the ORG when I discussed this, but time didn't allow me to pursue as fully as I wanted. Now, I have more time, I plan to follow this through to the end.

If interested, either PM me or join the Band of the Red Hand ORG and we'll see if this project can get moving forward.

Corki

Band of the Red Hand ORG Leader

Well I could give you a hand none the less to create the basic rules and design, this is more for an actual re-creation of the game from the book. The only downside to all this is custom dice are really really expensive, but I'm also having the company make the dice cups aswell so.

Stars, Crowns, Cups, Roses, Rods -> makes sense, nice quotation :)

It would seem that Crowns are the highest roll, and I'd suspect then that roses are the second highest (so Crown = 6, Rose = 5) Mat's thoughts might suggest that Stars and then Cups are the next down, but idunno. There might be unknown rules going on here, combinations of rolls being better than oneanother rather than it being a straight translation of pip scores into a symbol and whoever rolls highest wins.

I seem to recall there being a section where Mat keeps rolling "The Dark One's Eyes" I know he rolls all ones, but I don't recall if he takes out his die with symbols on?

Heres some references for the dice, i got this off the site I used for info aswell.(link at the bottom)

Rattling the dice in the leather cup, Mat spun them out on the table. They stopped with two crowns, two stars and a cup showing. A fair toss; no better… The blue-eye man’s toss rolled across the table, and the dice stopped showing three crowns, a rose and a rod.

The loaded dice Comar used for Crowns showed three crowns and two roses, and was a throw that would be very unlikely to be beaten (The Dragon Reborn, A Storm In Tear).

Oh, okay.  :)

I don't know, Tyrell, I guess because Satanism borrows a fair bit of the symbolism from Wicca and Buddism does not. Christianity is pretty broad though, ranging from one extreme to another with lots of variation in the middle; there's plenty of room in it for one Christian to be surprised by what another Christian might or might not do.

Well I'm trying to get ahold of the creator of the GoS game to see what ranking he made the symbols on the dice, but im using traditional bridge ranking based on the card suits, which if you notice are based off the tarot deck.

Hearts = cups

Diamonds = stars

Clubs = wands

Spades =  swords

XD

Roses and crowns are just the added iconic game symbols.

Well I didn't make the dice game, just copied what Craig had, but the order he put them in (low to high) is: Wands, Cups, Stars, Swords, Roses, Crowns. Given the effort he put into it, I'd assume he did some research to get them in the right order, but don't have any actual sources myself.

Go Team!

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Is there a basis in the books for cups, wands, swords, and pentagrams? I have a hard time seeing Jordan, as a Christian, using Wiccan symbols on his dice...

Why?

WoT is full of references to other religions...

Oh, okay.  :)

I don't know, Tyrell, Thin Inn Keeper, I guess because Satanism borrows a fair bit of the symbolism from Wicca and Buddism does not. Christianity is pretty broad though, ranging from one extreme to another with lots of variation in the middle; there's plenty of room in it for one Christian to be surprised by what another Christian might or might not do.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I don't know, Tyrell, Thin Inn Keeper, I guess because Satanism borrows a fair bit of the symbolism from Wicca and Buddism does not. Christianity is pretty broad though, ranging from one extreme to another with lots of variation in the middle; there's plenty of room in it for one Christian to be surprised by what another Christian might or might not do.

Uh huh.

And Christianity doesn't borrow anything from Wicca?  ::)

There is something about ficton that lets an author endevour into fantasy that dosen't have to be about what they personally believe. Mind you the whole good verse evil for etertiny is always spiffy. So lets be happy about one thing and thank the light we have great reading material.

• 9 years later...

There is a premade version in Ta'veren Tees website for $40 with a leather cup to roll them in.

They have images that you can find on that site. I have blank dice that I want to put images on like stamp style or something, but I need a clear image of them to have my own template to make em for a DnD game I'm running.

• 2 weeks later...