DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hi.

GrandpaG

Sorry, but when I think of the Band of the Red Hand I think of campfires with big iron kettles full of stew made from whatever was available at the time...an army travels on it's stomach...thus, "what's cookin'?" seemed appropriate.  ;)

I should have included "season's greetings", but that usually makes GI's homesick.  :(

"an army travels on it's stomach"?? Ya don't know the half of it! This army's mainly made out of stomachs...myself included! ;D

Hey Samu, with that Gambit pic on your sig, don't be surprised if i start stalkin' ya. I LUUUURRRRRVVVV Gam, ya know.

Following the stomach seems to be a good place to start for spending the holidays...although I'm guessing mine will lead me to Taco Bell a lot (only because I work there lol)

Good question to start a thread with Gramps, definitely different!

I'm actually looking forward to this Christmas as I won't be working at all. I finish in the office on Monday 22nd December, with an accountancy exam on the Tuesday morning before heading home to my parents in the afternoon. I am not back in again until 5th January! Brilliant! Plenty of time to be spent with my parents and great aunt who is coming up to stay, as I haven't seen them since September and my graduation from university.

Any soldier/sailor can tell you how precious time with the family can be.  Being away from home and loved ones makes you really appreciate how much they really mean to you.  It's been a long time since my active duty days but I remember well the feeling of heading home for the holidays.  Something very special that has to be experienced to be understood.

Christmas at our house will not be as prosperous this year as normal because I'm off work from the triple bypass but I'm confident that we will enjoy each other's company just the same.  It might do my family good to have a little less of the money side of the holidays.  When I was young our family didn't have a lot of money but we always found some way to enjoy being together.  A potluck dinner can seem like a grand feast when family and friends gather.  Songs and laughter are both free as is conversation.  Sometimes the simple pleasures are the purest.

There I go getting long winded again.  :-[

Nothing wrong with long winded!  ;)

This has been the longest I have been away from home, and I do miss my parents' company. When I was at university, I did go home every 5 weeks in a term, as it was our reading week (a time to catch up on our studies). Now I have a full time job, and the fact I don't like the people I am sharing with, it has shown me how much I took them for granted before. But it has also brought me closer to my parents, which is a really good thing.

Nothing wrong with long winded!  ;)

This has been the longest I have been away from home, and I do miss my parents' company. When I was at university, I did go home every 5 weeks in a term, as it was our reading week (a time to catch up on our studies). Now I have a full time job, and the fact I don't like the people I am sharing with, it has shown me how much I took them for granted before. But it has also brought me closer to my parents, which is a really good thing.

My dad has been gone for several years and my mom will pass from cancer sometime in the next couple of years.  I regret the loss and treasure the precious memories of both of them.

My kids appreciate me more since the triple bypass.  I think they realize how things could have gone.  Sometimes bad things can be good, right?

Learning to appreciate family is something to be cherished.  Some people never get there.  Sad to consider.  I prefer to feel glad for the people who do realize what they have.  That makes me smile.  :)

There was a period before I left for university that I feel out with my parents. Maybe it was a rebellious streak in me, but from that moment onwards, I would say our bond is a lot stronger. I am an only child, so falling outs are harder. But we've risen from the mess of that time, and it's always sad to leave home.

So yes, bad things can be good!

Archived