DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does the fate rest with Eragon? (WoT Movie)

Lights

Lord of the Rings was huge

Harry Potter is huge.

Narnia is huge.

Now we have Eragon, (In theaters December 15th :: http://www.eragonmovie.com) the next big paper-to-film fantasy adaptation. Up 'till now, all of these have been major successes. Granted, all three mentioned above have a HUGE fanbase, much more than Eragon or WoT, but the success of the fantasy film series' might still lie with Eragon, a series I must confess I have not even read.

If it is a huge success, that keeps the door wide open for any future adaptations [enter WoT here]; if it flops, that will put a tremendous stain on studios shilling out $100million+ for these type of films, and would greatly decrease any remote chance of seeing WoT on the bigscreen in the (relatively) near future. There may not be a big chance of it happening at all, but the success of this movie might be a key factor.

My point? Even if you haven't read the books, go watch Eragon when it is released! Support fantasy films!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody else think the WoT is way the heck too long to be made into even a few 3 hour movies at this point? Besides, Harry Potter and Narnia have the advantage of being a series of esentially kids books (Potter is getting less so, I know, but they started that way) and kids books always have a built in audience.

I'd say that there is unfortunately very little chance of seeing WoT on the big screen at all now. Might be done very well as a TV mini-series though, at least in my opinion...

I've read Eragon (and Eldest; both sitting on my shelf next to WoT 8) ) i must say i'm looking foward to the film

As for a WoT film...

Does anybody else think the WoT is way the heck too long to be made into even a few 3 hour movies at this point?

I agree, theres just way to many sub-plots going on that are important to the story as a whole...

Might be done very well as a TV mini-series though

Thats something i thought about a year or so ago, i think it could work :D

-___-

:o :o :o ARE YOU PEOPLE INSANE!!!! :o :o :o

If a book as horrible and plagerized as Eragon can be made into a movie, then WoT can't be far behind...

For those of you who like Eragon, How could You???

It is so unoriginal it's not even funny. One of my friends and i actually went thru the entire book Eragon and marked every spot where it was a stero-typical thing or something stolen right from WoT. Every other page was marked up.

For those of you who haven't read Eragon, or Eldest, DON"T!!!

and for those who own, i encourage you to go thru it and try and find all the details that are WAY too similar to WoT for it to be a conicidence...

But as far as the movie goes...

if it's not done by the time I get out of College, I will set about making it my self if need be... :o

It's been some time since i've read it but i remember some few things that i can list, please correct me if i'm wrong but...

The, Urghals was it?, sound way too much like Trollocs to me...

The "Power" that he uses? I can't remember what it's called...has a male and a female half i'm pretty sure...

can you say Saidar and Saidin?

Where the main charcater grew up? on a farm that was protected by a fast flowing river that's only part of a country on a map?

Can we say Two Rivers?

The list goes on and on...

Where the main charcater grew up? on a farm that was protected by a fast flowing river that's only part of a country on a map?

You mean like every country fantasy hero such as Richard Cypher, Garion, Frodo, that guy in Shanara, Bilbo, and every other commoner turned hero?

if you read the description of the character's town in Eragon and the description of the Two Rivers, they match in too many ways, where as the others, have originality, Tolkiens' charcters lived in hills, litterally IN THE HILLS... i'm not to sure about the other characters because i'm not familiar with them...

But the Urghals and the Trollocs could be brothers for the amount of similarities between them. I remember having a very pionted discussion over this very matter with my brother when i was reading Eragon and He the Shadow Rising...

I remember calling the Urghals, Eragon's form of Trollocs, same thing, different name...

If your going to make the claim about Trollocs you have to attack every fantasy series in the world. It simply doesn't work.

The connections sound too weak to me. Not like the Sword of Truth series.

Guest Lord Captain Valda

All I have to say it "Incubate, broaden your views". Most of these are general fantasy plotlines and happenings. If you go out and read most of the other main(or not so main) fantasy series you would know that. If you go out and attack the Inheritence trilogy this way you are attacking the whole fantasy foundation: LotR. Getting back to the topic, I am going to see Eragon. I personally think the movie might be interesting, but even if you dont please go anyway. Even if you think that movies would be impossible dont you think somebody would think twice when they saw wot as a suggestion as a mini series? I do not like our fate though. Eragon will be well over 2hrs and its 600pgs double spaced! Mini series is going to need a lot of support and ,in my opinion, guidance from the readers. The ball is in our court now.

*shakes head*

you people are too busy defending youselves and pionting out how i'm wrong to listen to what i'm saying, i'm not saying that ALL of Eragon is a rip-off, i know that much,

There are no DRAGONS in WoT...

but too much of Eragon is too similar to WoT for it to be a councidence i think...

I may still go see the movie simply because i've read the book....i do that kind of thing.

I'm just saying that i can't see Paolini comeing up with all that all on his own and there being that many similarities...

It's just too big of a coucidence for me to believe...

Guest Egwene

I don't think that having a village looking similar is neccessarily anything to do with copying. More with the fact that if you take your average medieval village, it has an Inn, it has a Forge, it has various village characters and factions within etc...

Whilst reading I was really more bothered by names that were too reminiscent of those in other stories than the use of generally well trodden fantasy stereotypes. And it was LotR that sprang to mind, not WoT.

Haha, I saw my thread had 19 replies and I though, "Sweet, a success!"

Then I realized they had nothing to do with the topic. ;) Oh well.

I'm not saying I think WoT might be on a list of possible adapations, or even that I think it ever will be. But the best way to get it on there is to make sure all of the others are a success. You might not like the book, but at least support the genre. That's how Hollywood operates. Once they find a genre that works, they ride that horse to death; think computer animations or brutal slasher movies.

they are so similar, a WOT movie would be seen as 'copying', because it came second

we cant have that

it has to be a stand alone movie, not a genre 'basher' or whatever you mean Lights

series would be better

Guest cwestervelt

I, for one, do not buy into the "watch the movie to support the genre" attitude. That attitide doesn't support the genre in any beneficial way and risks causing more harm than good.

Sure, most movies are targetted at what people appear to want to watch. If the studios didn't do that, they would go out of business. The result is all the sequals and remakes that are released. On rare occasions, you might actually get one that is better than the original.

The problem with "watch the movie to support the genre" is that it doesn't give the movie industry any incentive to make the movies good. Why spend the budget if people are going to watch it anyway? Instead, what you risk is that the genre gets denegrated to formulaic sterotypes and cheap rip-offs.

I' date=' for one, do not buy into the "watch the movie to support the genre" attitude. That attitide doesn't support the genre in any beneficial way and risks causing more harm than good.

Sure, most movies are targetted at what people appear to want to watch. If the studios didn't do that, they would go out of business. The result is all the sequals and remakes that are released. On rare occasions, you might actually get one that is better than the original.

The problem with "watch the movie to support the genre" is that it doesn't give the movie industry any incentive to make the movies good. Why spend the budget if people are going to watch it anyway? Instead, what you risk is that the genre gets denegrated to formulaic sterotypes and cheap rip-offs.[/quote']

Biggest thing you are missing would be that people don't won't watch bad movies. Sure, a bad movie may pull in a decent haul its first weekend, but it won't put up the kind of numbers we have seen for all the movies I mentioned in my first post. Studio execs aren't going to shill out the big bucks to create films without making sure they are good. (At least, that's the idea.)

I understand what you are getting at, but I am not sending out a call-to-arms to watch bad movies. I am asking people to not not watch a good movie simply on the basis of perhaps not having read the book. No, I don't know if Eragon will actually be a good film, but I suppose I'm taking for granted that it will be. As I said, the studios see what good films such as LotR, HP, and Narnia can bring for them and they will want to continue with that. If the fault begins to lie with the studios putting out shoddy films, then we have a different problem on our hands; we would have your problem. But first we have to get to that point. Haha.

I guess it comes down to if people aren't supporting this genre, with it mayhap having a few bad apples or no, then there definantly won't be a chance of possibly seeing WoT on the silver screen. We will never have a chance to see if it's bad or not unless the films leading up to it are a success. ;)

The, Urghals was it?, sound way too much like Trollocs to me...

They have a vague simulatiry i guess, as they do with Orcs...

except the Urghals arn't Genetically Engineered killing machines, nor are they 'evil'... infact, one tribe pleadges to Eragon in 'Eldest' for revenge against the Emperor for enslaving them... Would a Trolloc Fist do the same?

The "Power" that he uses? I can't remember what it's called...has a male and a female half i'm pretty sure...

can you say Saidar and Saidin?

Your way off base here...

It's not even remotely similar.. the 'Power' in Eragon is something within each person and tied to/released through an ancient language

Can we say Two Rivers?

*shrug*

so he lived on a Farm... thats not uncommon in any Fantasy and certinaly doesn't constitue plagiarism imo

Archived