DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tower of Ghenji- Screw up

Ndshacker

Mat jumped to his feet. In his head was an image of a woman with a knife stuck between her breasts; not one of the borrowed memories. He kicked the keg he had been sitting on, sending it rolling along the alley. Help a gleeman keep them alive? A faint memory stirred, something about Basel Gill, an innkeeper in Caemlyn, saying something about Thom, but it was like mist, gone as soon as he tried to hold it. “Who’s the letter from, Thom? Another woman you rescued? Or did you leave her where she could get her head cut off?”

“I left her,” Thom said softly. Rising, he walked away without another word.

Will they not be able to save moiraine? Cause Mat asked a loooong time before Thom finaly told hhim.

Thom is a wisened old guy, and I think in that letter he saw a move in the Great Game. Maybe he thought someone was trying to use him and didnt believe Moiraine was alive. He also notes there arent any hidden messages within it that he can see, and so he would have wanted to be 100% sure he wasnt being manipulated somehow before mentioning it to anyone. Thats what I always thought

Interestingly, there IS a "screw up" here, but not the one you suggest.  Incidentally, in the scene you are talking about, Thom has not yet read the letter, he is only holding it:  "...and the lanky old gleeman seemed  more interested in the letter Rand had sent on to him.  Now he stuffed it into his coat pocket with the tree-and-crown seal yet unbroken."

In TFoH, when Moiraine gives Rand the letters, it specifically states that they were sealed in blue wax and her great serpent ring was used as the seal.  And Mat was there, so he should have known who the letter was from. However, in LoC, when Rand catches up to Mat North of Tear in order to send him to Salidar, Thom's letter has miraculously become sealed with the tree-and-crown of House Damodred. ???

In TFoH, when Moiraine gives Rand the letters, it specifically states that they were sealed in blue wax and her great serpent ring was used as the seal.  And Mat was there, so he should have known who the letter was from. However, in LoC, when Rand catches up to Mat North of Tear in order to send him to Salidar, Thom's letter has miraculously become sealed with the tree-and-crown of House Damodred. ???

Same kind of comments occurred in my mind.

Even without the seal change, it would have been reasonable for Mat to think the letter was from Moiraine.

And it would have been unlikely for Rand to hold another letter for Thom before giving Moiraine's letter to Mat.

Archived