DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Garion v Rand

trakand_01

I have tried to search for other threads but can't find anything so sorry if this has been discussed previously.

I wanted to start a topic that didnt contain the words 'Richard' or 'Rahl' but did start to look at Rand as a character, his history, and other characters in other books which are slightly similar.

The first person that came to my mind, was Garion, or Belgarion of the Belgariad/Malloreon stories, by David Eddings.

I'm sure most of you know the history of Garion, but it struck me that it was quite similar to Rands - both are 'important people' so to speak, both were raised by non-relatives and had no idea of their heritage until their teens (Garion was slightly younger than Rand when Polgara and Belgarath came to take him with them). Both can use 'magic' or 'power', and both become involved with women. I can actually honestly say I'd rather have Faile to Ce'Nedra.

Both stories also make extensive use of prophecies to dictate what has / will / might happen (for example, Garion has one son with Ce'Nedra, and the prophecies say he will have just one son, however there are also suggestions that he should expand his nursery.)

Do you think it is just the nature of the fantasy/fiction genre that characters do often resemble each other, or do you think that Garion and Rand have other similarities?

Guest Dreadlord

I personally think their characters are similar only in a vague sense, but I agree the similarities are there. Both find out they are born for a purpose, both must fight a God-figure, both are driven by prophecy, although Rand to a lesser degree I think-you dont see Rand and co looking at the prophecies to find out what to do next at all that I can remember, whereas Garions grandad Belgarath looked at the Mrin Codex prophecies every five minutes.

The Belgariad/Mallorean were too fairytale for me though, but of course its aimed at a younger audience than WoT

Quite right, they are aimed at a younger audience I think. I started at age of about 10 reading my way through the many bookcases in my parent's house. I showed interest in my mother's books and she brought be the Shannarah books to begin with, which I loved. They are wonderful as a starter for younger readers - nothing offensive, no overly gruesome details, good stories generally with happy endings. Then I moved onto the Belgariad, the Mallorean, Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorcerer, the Sword of Truth, the Wheel of Time and others such as Memory, Sorrow and Thorn - the Dragonbone Chair - all wonderful books.

True, Garion and Belgarath practically used the prophecies like a map, every time they got stuck, out came the Mrin prophecies!

both are driven by prophecy, although Rand to a lesser degree I think-you dont see Rand and co looking at the prophecies to find out what to do next at all that I can remember, whereas Garions grandad Belgarath looked at the Mrin Codex prophecies every five minutes.

Rand also doesn't have the prophecy talking in his head...just LTT

Yeah...similarity is there.

Like Polgara for Garion,

Moraine for Rand,

And Kahlan comes for Richard.

Other similarity between, Belgarion and WOT is their strike and counter strike types action. It really sets the two series apart from others except LOR, which also has strike and counter strike.

I got really tired of typical books series where, the hero or heroine is beaten like a dog the whole time...and suddenly at the last page they kill their antagonist and prevaile. I mean "Oh really?" Where is the paradox? The hero/heroin who is clearly a underdog and remain so for the whole length of book...suddenly defeat the evil great power....I became sick of those books.Not to mention "The good old separation(kidnaping) spell", which unfortunately is also more often then not the main theme of most of book series.

And at last I stumbled on Belgarion. And what a relief? And the whole Elenium and Belgarion series was fun...really entertaining. Yeah, and  CNedra is really adoring.

And then I got WOT. And liked that even more. Cause strike and counter strike.

Rand or Garion, neither one of them is powerless...infact they were described as the one of the top hounds in their respective area of responsibility.

Guest Dreadlord

Both have a significant sword they are prophecied to wield. And Ce'Nedra is 100% Elayne.

I must admit some Belgariad characters are smart; like Barak, the Protector, who is transformed into a bearman whenever Garion is in danger.

I think you also have writers who like the hero to come from 'nothing'. Not being noble birth, or one who was taken or shunned into obscurity. Everyone loves the hero that goes through trials and tribulations and defeats when all the odds are against him.

What I don't like is when you have the hero can go through an entire adventure for months seeking finding killing capturing and doesn't get his boots muddy or a scratch on him or his hair out of place.

Rand has and will continue to make mistakes. He will pay for all of his victories through his blood and sweat. He will need to get a new coat because his got burned to ash while saving someone from a burning building. He will win the cause only to have his best friend die, loyal to the end, in his arms.

That is a hero.

both are driven by prophecy, although Rand to a lesser degree I think-you dont see Rand and co looking at the prophecies to find out what to do next at all that I can remember,

It seems to me that rand is constantly quoting the prophecies of th Dragon. 

"Twice and Twice shall he be marked"  Rand is reminded of that one every day after Falme and further after Rhuidean

The dark prophecies left in the dungeons of Fal Dara led Rand to Falme

The prophecies led him to the Stone of Tear to collect Callandor

Rand's active study of the prophecies directed him to the Aiel Waste to gather the clans.

I can't think of much in the series that isn't related to the prophecies.

Guest Dreadlord

Twice and twice being marked wasnt a hint telling Rand what to do though really; thats what I meant. Rand doesnt look at the prophecies every five minutes to find out what to do next-he trusts his instincts more than anything. In the Belgariad the prophecies give everything, the Kareithon Cycle (sp) doesnt, and what it does give is very vague. "He will break all ties that bind." Can you imagine if Rand took that as literally as they do in the Belgariad? The series would have ended about six books ago and it would have ended badly

Do you think it is just the nature of the fantasy/fiction genre that characters do often resemble each other, or do you think that Garion and Rand have other similarities?

Fantasy genre. This is typical.

There's a thread here called LOTR parallels where we discussed something similar. Besides, I wouldn't recommend the Belgariad to a single soul. I seriously regret reading that series.

It's very easy to list similarities among fantasy series and one could go on forever doing so. 'Tis fantasy.

Why tie it down to fantasy? You find it in any form of fiction, and even reality - two people who are very similar. It might be more pronounced in certain areas of fantasy, but it is not something confined to fantasy.

Archived