DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lodging complaint against DM WoT forum and its members.

RAND AL THOR

I must lodge a complaint against this forum and all its members.

You have utterly and irrevocable destroyed at least 70% of all suspense I had regarding the Wheel of Time, by dicussing every topic possible in the utmost possible depth.

Now, what court will accept my case?

Okay, to be more serious: Have you ever felt in a similar way? I mean, I had various theories about various events etc... and I would have loved it if it had been revealed that I was wrong when I read AMOL. However, many of my theories have been shot down or accepted on the forum to such an extent that the possibility of the former event occuring is pretty much reduced! True, there are plenty of stuff left to guess but much has been eliminated.

Simple eg. I had no clue who Messana was-but this board has reduced it to 2 primary suspects.

I don't regret this of course. What I have gleaned from the discussion over the past few months is much more valuable than anything I've lost.

Guest Dreadlord

I know what you mean, but the thing about these boards is that when people eliminate suspects from things like Mesaanas secret identity and Asmodeans killer, there is no way at all to know who is right and who is wrong unless it is plain in the books, like Aran'gar and Osan'gars alter egos (which, I might add, nobody on here figured out before the books revealed it).

The thing about Mesaana is this; she could be ANYONE in the Tower we havent had a PoV from. She could be a Warder for all we know, although of course its unlikely. We have no solid evidence; we know that disguises are easier if you dont change yourself that much-but we are talking about Mesaana here, who is from the Age of Legends. Mesaanas natural appearance doesnt necessarily have to match that of her alter ego, because it would be an Illusion. Rand made himself completely different, and Im pretty sure Messana could do a better job than Rand. So Mesaanas alter ego has been broken down to two suspects, but we dont have a clue if theyre right or not. People also seem to use the clothing Mesaana wore in the Shaidar incedent as if that means a lot-but then again, we all know Mesaana has only one change of clothing...NOT.

But yea I get your meaning, sometimes you have a pet theory and it grinds when someone shoots it down (LMAO I had a pet theory that Shaidar Haran is an alter ego Moridin used to make the other Chosen do what he wanted), and sometimes just not knowing is better than having a vague idea.

The thing about Mesaana is this; she could be ANYONE in the Tower we havent had a PoV from. She could be a Warder for all we know, although of course its unlikely. We have no solid evidence; we know that disguises are easier if you dont change yourself that much-but we are talking about Mesaana here, who is from the Age of Legends. Mesaanas natural appearance doesnt necessarily have to match that of her alter ego, because it would be an Illusion. Rand made himself completely different, and Im pretty sure Messana could do a better job than Rand. So Mesaanas alter ego has been broken down to two suspects, but we dont have a clue if theyre right or not. People also seem to use the clothing Mesaana wore in the Shaidar incedent as if that means a lot-but then again, we all know Mesaana has only one change of clothing...NOT.

Except RJ stated that we have the information nessasary to guess who Mesaana is... oh wait, that was just the sort of comment that Rand was against. Damn. *blushes and hides in a corner*

Guest Dreadlord

RJ saying that doesnt mean that those two candidates for her disguise are on the mark though, does it? He means the hints are in the books, not that us on Dragonmount have the right idea. Im not saying they are wrong, just that we can never be 100% certain until there is more in the books to pin her down.

I came here just after finishing reading The Great Hunt for the first time. Hehe as I am sure Luckers and other remember I made some real bone head comments back then. But I love reading spoilers and theorys. For me it dosen't take anything away from reading the books. In my mind it's no different than talking about a tv series or a series of movies. Even when new people join the dissuction they should know up front when they come to sites like this. Conserning a series as long lived as this that they will walk head long into this kinda thing. I don't think any site that dosen't have mods working 24/7 could keep spoliers off the site.

My only advice for new members who don't want spoilers...Don't read any posts, Don't talk to any members and for the sake of your ignorance of whats gonna happen in books you haven't read yet. Don't ask any question you don't absolutly don't want answered with extream detail siteing book chapter page and paragraph.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]starwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

Did you have any pet theories that got shot down, Rand? Or any that have survived?

Plenty that have been shot down by an atomic missile, usually by far more experienced members. I don't think the Dragonmount Server has enough storage for me to list all my dumped theories.

(PS: This doesn't ignore the theories that I made up without reading any of RJ's statements first. After I read most of his interviews etc....my hypotheses just utterly imploded).

Haha, you say that as a joke, but just after i posted my A Memory of Light; the Plot thread i got a PM from a woman which said, quite seriously, all of that. I never saw her on the site again.

Well since the purpose of this site is exactly to discuss the books, it makes no sense for her to sign up in the first place! Being an admin must be hard....

LOL.

That's pretty crazy, getting a PM from someone complaining like that.

I would think any person would know that if you visit a website discussing a series in depth like this one, you are bound to come upon spoilers. ;D

I like spoilers, and I also like reading about everyone's theories, it makes it more interesting when I go back and read the books again.

I see things I didn't before, or I start wondering, "Hm, maybe they're right, I never saw that".

Guest Dreadlord

Indeed, when you read up a theory someone posted and then look back at a particular scene, or youre on a reread, you always notice more stuff. For exampple, there is a theory that on one occasion Moridins thoughts float across the link, so that Rand and LTT can both hear him musing about the Creator. I dont even remember reading that until I sawe it on here, but I like it.

You would think people would join the forums AFTER reading the books...

Plenty that have been shot down by an atomic missile, usually by far more experienced members. I don't think the Dragonmount Server has enough storage for me to list all my dumped theories.

:D :D :D

Actually, this is one of the things I like about DM.  We get into debates and all the experienced members bring up quotes that I'd never have thought of.  (School's out where I live, so I need some other place to intellectually stimulate myself)  It doesn't change my view of AMOL, because we won't know for sure that we're right until we read AMOL.  And it's nice to have predictions, because then you can see how right you are.  The same thing would happen regardless of the forum, just at a smaller scale.  You might just be reading along and have a blinding flash of insight as to a character's identity or the resolution of a plot thread.  For me, that just makes it more exciting, because you have to find out what happens next if you want to see if you're right.

Guest Dreadlord

You also find out where youre completely wrong. I remember for ages I thought some flicker in reality wrecked Semirhages disguise in KoD, but after debating on here I reread it and found out I was wrong. Lol, and to think how sure I was. Never mind.

This reread I am already sure Masema is a Darkfriend. The Shieneran in the Darkfriend meeting in TGH is way too eager to kill the Dragon Reborn for it to be Ingtar.

P.S. Nice signature Hybrid. If only Moiraine had been more definite

P.S. Nice signature Hybrid. If only Moiraine had been more definite

I picked up on that quote during my current reread.  It's when Faile is whining about eating fish at that inn in Illian.  If only one of those Gray Men had taken exception to her... *sigh*

I know what it's like to accidentally read spoilers, though it was my fault in my case.  I checked out the usenet group's FAQ and accidentally stumbled on Osan'gar's alter-ego while I was still only on ACOS or TPOD.

You also find out where youre completely wrong. I remember for ages I thought some flicker in reality wrecked Semirhages disguise in KoD, but after debating on here I reread it and found out I was wrong. Lol, and to think how sure I was. Never mind.

LOL at first I thought she took it down herself and I was all "Why did she do that?" Of course, I was also thinking she was Selucia.

When I joined, I was just starting the Great Hunt and I got a couple friends who were always trying to keep me away from spoilers and demanding that I read for myself. Around book 10 I outsmarted them and got my info before they found the thread. ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to get on for a while and I have really missed all of the discussions. Just take a minute and think what if there wasn't a web site. The only chance you would have to "test" any theories would be if you knew someone who also read. I think I like this web site the best is for all of the agreeing and disagreeing, no one is completely right or wrong unless you can prove it from a book. Every thing else is theories to get everybody thinking and rereading to "prove" either right or wrong. I just love everyone's opinions (even if they are wrong) because it brings things to light that you may have forgotten.

And for the ones who "supposedly" have all of the answers just remember when the last book comes out to bow humbly when they get something wrong, and for the others try not to do alot of ha ha's. ;D

I hope the thing that happens the most is that this website doesn't die after the last book. We will still have plenty to talk about and I would hate to lose the friends that I have made on this website. :)

I'm just so grateful for websites like this!!

I don't know anyone who reads the WOT books. :o ;D

So I don't have anyone to talk about what I read and you know when you have an, "Oh!" moment you want to share so badly.

Or if I have a huge question, I can come here and check to see what others have said. 

:D ;)

I read the first 7 books and stopped (got married, had a couple of kids. Who had time?) My dad gave me the first 3 books and I remember being extremely upset that I had to wait for the next book to come out. I got my brother reading the series around book 5.

Neither one are exactly people you can sit down with and talk about different theories. That's why I so enjoy coming here. I don't post very often but I come here quite frequently to read. I've learned so much. I'm on my 3rd reread (picked the series back right after the last book was published) and I'm defintely looking at things more deeply than I did before.

I don't feel like anything has been spoiled. I have my own pet theories.Some of which developed from reading what others had to say. It's going to be very interesting to see where I'm right, where I'm wrong and where I'm simply floored. :) RJ left a lot of clues for us but I think there's going to be enough twists in MOL to keep us all entertained.

I couldnt say how many times I've been enlightened or engaged by posters on this site.  Experienced with the site or not, whether I agree with them or not, every moment has been a pleasure.

If anyone has a problem with spoilers... well, they obviously didnt read the warnings correctly.  ;)

When AMOL comes out, I'm sure alot of my thought process on theories will be shot down, and I'm looking forward to it.  As a matter of fact, I'd like nothing better than to see alot of my deduction to be incorrect, because that means RJ and BS have created the last book to live up to the same quality as the previous books.  And that's sublime.  :D

No real spoilers on the site for me. I didnt find this excellent site until i had gotten through all the books that were out at the time.

I will say that i thought i had a pretty good idea of what all was going on in WOT before i came to this site, boy was i wrong.

Sometimes i think Luckers and I are reading completely different stories.

I have learned a ton coming here and it has only made the books better for me. You would think that after 7 rereads i would be pretty solid on everything but i still discover (either in book or here) new things all the time. I love it.

And i agree, most of these theories are only theories and have yet to be proven, though they are pretty educated guesses. They dont take away from the story and if someone is worried about it they really shouldnt come to a site like this. It even Warns that there are spoilers on the first page. I have been wrong on alot of things in the book so far and learning that i was wrong on here never bothered me at all.

I did really want Taim to be Demandred though.

P.S. Mat is the greatest literary character ever created. RJ must have really loved him to put so much into him.

Yes, those poor people who think they know all the answers better be prepared to beg for forgiveness.

Hehe. I'm a bad person.

I'm sure when the book comes out and disagrees with one of your theories, you'll be on the first flight to Utah to get BS to make the correct changes, and beg for forgiveness. Obviously, he must be in the wrong.

Archived