DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Back Home (attn: Reds, or any AS who wants to jump in) (edited)

Jagen Sedai

Jagen rubbed her forehead as she crossed the grounds of the White Tower, approaching the main set of doors. Few people were about this early in the morning and she was grateful for both the quietness and the chill in the air as dawn came. For several months she had been absent from the Tower in something of a spiritual retreat. But instead of going home to Tarabon like she usually did, Jagen had gone to Shienar, her first time in the Borderland country.

Taking the time to remind herself exactly what it meant to be Aes Sedai, Jagen wondered if she had found any of her answers at all. And not even being Aes Sedai, but a Red. When she first came to the Tower so long ago, she knew what she wanted to do from the beginning, what her purpose was going to be. Then the Dragon was born, and the Black Tower too... oh, how she still hated that name, but even she reluctantly had to admit that was exactly what the place was. Since the birth of that place though, and the agreement that the White Tower would acknowledge them, it set Jagen's mind spinning as to what she was supposed to do with herself now.

She only learned that the Tower was acknowledging their existence through a Red Eyes-and-Ears, though little else. What was going on with her fellow sisters she was unsure and she needed to know, to find guidance in those of her own Ajah. Dressed in layers of red silk her dress color proclaimed her Ajah as much as the shawl she draped on her shoulders as she approached the door. The veil over her face and braids going to her waist proclaimed her heritage that she never wanted to forget. It was as much a part of her as being Aes Sedai was.

"Aes Sedai," the guardsman greeted with a bow.

Jagen didn't really give any acknowledgment back beyond a glance as she passed through the doors and into the Tower's main hall. Smiling softly, she made her way to the Red Quarters. It felt very good to be back home. She regretted she did not bring anyone with her though. Shienar had been a last stop in her 'tour' of the Borderlands, trying to find girls who could channel to bring them to the Tower. The two girls she did find were far too weak to bother with, and the ones who really wanted to go to the Tower just did not have the ability. The country wasn't in a very good shape either, not with all that was going on, but she remained in the southern part. Still, it had been nice to be out in the world again, even in its condition. Jagen liked keeping herself busy, and she spent much of her time visiting with nobles. It was a nice advantage of being Aes Sedai that one did not have to spend the night in an inn. Nobles always were honored by the visits and asked Jagen her advice, for which she was glad to give.

To get herself settled Jagen ascended to her room in the Red Quarters. Inside the place was lightly, tastefully furnished with furniture and a few paintings from Tarabon to remind her of home. Jagen took off her shawl and hung it over the back of a chair. She quickly unpacked her adventuring items, tidied up the room and gave a satisfied nod that she was settled in.

Leaving her room, she saw another Red Sister wander into her own quarters but it was no one she immediately recognized. "I wonder how much our Ajah has grown since I left?" she mused. It did not remain a happy thought though. Where was her Ajah going now? Her stomach rumbled, reminding her that she had been on her way to grab something to eat. She started down the main hall just when another Red rounded the corner, but Jagen knew her. Something of an only friend when Jagen had been Accepted, Nieda was only about ten years older than her, though raised after, and they resumed their friendship when both wore the shawl. She and her twin Sefera were both Reds, and the two blonds looked almost exactly alike, but Nieda's attitude was always warmer than her sister's.

"Nieda?"

The blonde blinked once and let a smile cross her face. "Jagen! It's been awhile, where have you been? Oh, come in for tea!"

"It's good to see you. I've been in the Borderlands, but I came back when... well, let's talk in your room."

"Of course, come in." Nieda showed her in and started preparing tea. Jagen sat in one of the plush chairs she had. Nieda's room was full of books, a few open on the desk, though that was nothing unusual for her. Sometimes Jagen thought she would have gone Brown, but Nieda's strong sense of duty aimed her for the Red.

"I admit Nieda, I wish to skip the small talk and ask what exactly is going on at the Tower. I recently heard from our Eyes and Ears that the White tower is actually acknowledging that excuse for a school those male channelers have set up."

Nieda shook her head as she poured them tea. "Indeed! You might as well say it Jagen, the Black Tower, as they call themselves. The Tower has indeed decided to do that."

"What could Sirayn possibly be thinking?"

Nieda looked at her in surprise. "Sirayn? Jagen, you really have been gone awhile. Lanfir is dead. She died defending the Tower. Annais was our last Amyrlin. But she died too; a fall from her horse. Supposedly. Anyway, she is the one who decided to acknowledge the Tower. Now we have a new Mother."

Jagen took in a deep breath. "Supposedly indeed." What is going on with the Tower lately? "I can only imagine what this looks like to the world..." she shook her head. "Who is Amyrlin now?"

"Shevara."

Jagen barked out a laugh. "You're kidding?!" It was not against Shevara at all, rather, this news absolutely delighted her. "Good! Now the White Tower will be put in the direction it needs to go in."

"Let us pray."

"thank you for the tea."

Jagen found herself in the dining hall close to an hour later after she had finished talking with Nieda. She had retreated not only to eat but also to think on what was going on. So Shevara was Amyrlin now. A former Red. Still a Red really, in her opinion. Only half finished with her food, she felt like she couldn't finish despite the wonderful taste. Talking to the Highest would be good, but maybe other sisters too, to get a full idea of where the Tower and her own Ajah was going.

• 3 months later...

OOC:

Welcome back, Jagen!  :D

Be sure to look in at the Ajah sub-board - lots of interesting things going on. Let us know there what your activity level is going to be - there's a few things you could join in on, depending on that.

Will try to post IC here by the weekend.

Larindhra strolled slowly back from the dining room to her quarters in the Red Ajah. The worry that was uppermost in her mind this morning was who to propose as the replacement Sitter for Viviana. The mission she had been sent on required someone with great delicacy who could also be trusted to make far-reaching decisions on her own, leaving very little choice as to whom to send. It was also expected to last for quite some time, necessitating her resignation as Sitter. Though Viviana was the best choice to send, it did leave the Red Ajah short of a Sitter, at a time when they needed a strong one. The only problem was, the strongest and most forceful Reds were also the most hide-bound.  Unfortunately, the times dictated that a Sitter also be open to new ideas, especially with Zarinen as Highest.

Larindhra wondered if she had maybe erred, meddling in that affair. Zarinen had turned out to be strong … very strong. She was going to rule the Red Ajah with a fist of iron, if Larindhra was reading the matter right. Would she lead them in the right direction, though?  So absorbed was she in her thoughts that she almost walked right past the figure in braids who was dipping a polite curtsy to her. Braids? Now why does that ring a bell …

“Jagen!” Her face lit into a warm smile. “Welcome back to the Tower, chi …” She cut off with a slightly embarrassed hitch of her shawl. The girl … woman had been one of her novices not too long ago – barely fifty years, if she recalled correctly. Maybe sixty. “You’ve been gone a long time, sister – when did you get back?” She recalled something else about Jagen – she had been one of her star pupils, though they had later had words about Jagen’s strictness with novices and Accepted, once she had been raised. She also recalled that Jagen was extremely passionate about her Ajah. Interesting…

“But wait – I’m being rude. Would you join me for a cup of tea in my quarters? I presume there are quite a few things you need to get caught up on.” And quite a few things Larindhra needed to consider, too. She might just have found a solution to her problem. Well, to one of them, at least.

Larindhra Reyne

Sitter of the Red Ajah

Larindhra had been overlooked by Jagen long before the Sitter saw her. Jagen had a pretty good memory when it came to faces and she reminded herself quickly that this woman was a Sitter, not just a former teacher of hers. Though that was all she could really recall about Larindhra, because more fresh in her mind were the faces of dozens of nobles she had visited and stayed with in her time away from the Tower.

Jagen spent most of her time outside the Tower dealing with any political matters minor and more important lords and ladies had to have taken care of. She was a self-employed adviser wherever she went, and she made sure whoever she advised was also doing things in interest of the Tower if need be. Over the years Jagen alone had sent dozens of noble girls to the Tower to train, though who knew how many actually made it to being Aes Sedai, or even Accepted. It didn't matter though because Jagen felt she was doing what she needed for the Tower, her Ajah, and herself. She always kept in touch with the Eyes and Ears of the Red and acted as one of their hands out in the world.

As much as she enjoyed traveling all over and helping outside the Tower, it seemed so much more could be done if she returned and this was why she came back. The world was in a sorry state right now, though hopefully if the Tower pulled together under their new Amyrlin, they could become even stronger and do what they needed to before Tarmon Gaidon came--and of course do what they had to when that time came, too.

Jagen herself had a good idea of exactly what the Reds would be doing, too. Maybe the Tower acknowledged that foolish settlement of male channelers, but Jagen knew that after the Last Battle was over, every Aes Sedai would be called forth to gentle the males. Did they really think the Tower would allow them to run around forever? Mad or no, not one of them deserved the Power in their hands and they would all be cut off.

Jagen was shook from her own thoughts after Larindhra gave more than just a basic greeting. She actually blinked at the woman nearly naming her child, but it was understandable. The younger Red half smiled as she wondered if it had to do with her doll-like face, even ageless. At the invite of tea she felt pleased. Now she could get some business done, and she always liked sitting down over tea.

"Of course, Sitter. Me, I really do need to catch up on many things. I am glad I ran into you."

• 2 weeks later...

Larindhra busied herself with making and pouring tea and small talk as she sized up the returned Red.  Only once they had drunk their first cup and exhausted all inconsequential matters, did she broach more serious topics.

“I presume you have caught up on all that has happened since you were last in the Tower? You seem to be well-informed on matters happening in the world, at least, judging from the reports you have sent back through our Eyes and Ears.” She poured them each another cup of tea. Thank the Light she had learned long ago to use very small cups; having a cup in hand relaxed people, which was conducive to keeping the conversation flowing, whereas having to stop halfway through to use the necessary was most definitely not.

“You know that Zarinen has been raised to Highest, and Shevara and Raslyn to Amyrlin and Keeper, yes? I don’t think you know much of what has happened in the past thirty years, though?” She meant in the Red Ajah, of course. “If I recall correctly, that is about how long you have been away.” She suppressed a sigh of relief at the confirmation. She had not thought Jagen had been party to the transgressions of twenty years ago, but it was best to make sure. Most of those women had, in a twisted way, thought they were acting in the best interest of the Ajah. All they had achieved, though, was to bring discredit to the Reds; Larindhra hoped they knew shame in their bones, by now.

“Bear with me while I tell you about Zarinen, then. As I recall, you have no … patience with men who can channel, and it wouldn’t do for you to step too hard on the Highest’s toes,” she added with a wry smile. “About twenty-five years ago, Zarinen came across a man who can channel. Instead of bringing him to the Tower for gentling, she … bonded him.” Only Zarinen seemed quite comfortable saying that. Even the Greens puckered up a bit at the mere mention of it, and Larindhra had thought the Greens brave enough to blanche at nothing. “Her motives were … in keeping with our mission, of course – she wanted to study any and all means of preventing another Breaking. Bonding a man who can channel is, I suppose, one way of doing that.”

Larindhra had to swallow hard before continuing. The mere thought made her want to sick up. “She learned some interesting things, but inevitably the poor man started to go mad from the Taint. She killed him.” Again Larindhra had to take firm hold of herself. Light, what must it have been like to kill your own Warder? “She was overwrought, and came back to the Tower for sanctuary. Unfortunately for her, she was found out quite quickly, and brought to trial, where she was exiled for twenty years.”

Jagen herself looked about ready to sick up. Best to press on now, though, while the woman’s guard was down. “An interesting approach to the problem, don’t you think? Especially taking into consideration the … Black Tower … and the amnesty.” Leaning back, she took a sip of her own tea. Much would depend on Jagen’s reply.

Larindhra Reyne

Sitter of the Red Ajah

Jagen had nearly spit out her tea when Larindhra told her this Red, Zarinen, had bonded a man who could channel. The same woman who was now their Ajah head? She had to do all she could just to swallow her drink. She didn't let her mind wander too much though, instead paying close attention to the Sitter before her. She seemed a lot more calm than Jagen. Then again, she had more time to deal with it.

That happened thirty years ago. I really should come back to the Tower more often. Not that she hadn't visited at all. Jagen did make periodic trips back to the Tower, but she never stayed more than a few weeks, or perhaps a month at most. How she missed this, though... It must have been presumed she knew already, or perhaps no one just wanted to talk about it. No wonder too.

“An interesting approach to the problem, don’t you think?" Larindhra went on. "Especially taking into consideration the... Black Tower... and the amnesty.”

Amnesty. Jagen sniffed at that one, leaning forward to set her cup down on the table and cross her hands on her lap. "The men, they..." she hesitated. Her head had been swimming in these matters all morning. It was a lot to take in in one day. Why couldn't the Ajah's Eyes and Ears work better both ways? She gave information she learned and yet never received any in return. She would have to talk to the sister who handled their Eyes-and-Ears about that. Shaking her head she tried getting back on track.

"I am wondering what exactly our Ajah's plans are," she said carefully. She wanted to seem neutral for now, though all of her very being wanted to just suggest destroying the whole Light-forsaken establishment of men. In one sense her curiosity about Zarinen's plans wanted to make her learn more about the woman before giving her own opinion, yet Jagen would remain firm in her own she was sure. If the new Head of the Red was actually suggesting they go and study these men and not just gentle them, well, Jagen would just try to turn that around. If she could. "I am also curious about Zarinen's plans. I do hope she will keep our goals the same, and I do not mean by modifying our means. Bonding a man who can channel to study him? It didn't work, so all that's left is to keep doing as we have been, is it not? We have a method that has been working for centuries, and we do not need to change it. For that matter, I admit I am not sure why we had to do any 'amnesty' thing at all."

She especially didn't get it if their Amyrlin was a Red--well, former Red--or did the Amyrlin already forget which Ajah she came from? Were all the Reds who were in positions of power forget their purpose? All of a sudden Jagen began to think that they got their positions because they weren't keeping to their traditional role. Were the other Ajahs manipulating them? Again Jagen started to distrust her own thoughts. She needed a good night's rest, she decided, before she went insane. Maybe some air would be good, too.

Larindhra had her suspicions about what Zarinen intended. Suspicions she sincerely hoped were unfounded. For the hundredth time she wondered if she should mention it to someone, but what if she was wrong? Best not put the idea into anyone’s head if it wasn’t there already. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she studied Jagen. No – if Zarinen did eventually raise the matter, Jagen’s first reaction would have more impact than if she’s had a chance to get used to the idea.

Still, a knee-jerk reaction would cut no oats with the Highest – best to give Jagen as much food for thought as prudent. Who knows? Maybe she can come up with a better alternative; I certainly have not managed that, she thought wryly. Yes … Jagen would do very nicely, once properly primed.

Her motherly smile had become a very useful tool over the years, and she used it to maximum effect now. “This is a difficult matter for all of us, but gentling the men now is no longer an option. Even if the Dragon Reborn had not made his opinion on the matter quite clear, that … disastrous mission to the Black Tower showed quite … harshly that we waited too long. Sisters killed, Sisters stilled – and then we had to publicly acknowledge the Black Tower. We still have our mission, Jagen – but the method we have used to achieve it for the past three thousand years is no longer available to us. We have to find a new way, I’m afraid. That's not even taking into account what the Ter'Angreal showed us.” Larindhra's mouth tightened at the memory of that earth-shattering revelation.

Larindhra Reyne

Sitter of the Red Ajah

Jagen sat back, her gaze going off to the side and becoming distant as she began to think of one her last visits to the Tower at the Sitter's mentioning of the ter'angreal. Actually it had been her last visit, and partly what caused her to go to Shienar instead of her home. All Red Sisters had been called to the Tower, to a private chamber to view something no one outside their Ajah knew about. She had learned of Bonwhin's diary but more important the ter'angreal she had kept secret. The beginnings of the Red Ajah.

She remembered it quite clearly. She remembered her near repulsion as an image formed before her of a male who could channel. He had been good looking but that had been besides the point. All Jagen really saw was a creature who needed to be put down. What had shocked her though was his request to be gentled, by a woman he called 'Sister.' From her understanding half of her Ajah and perhaps half of all the Aes Sedai now tried viewing these men as their “brothers” but for Jagen there was no such connection. They were as different as cats and dogs. And then there was his emotional speech, which tugged at most women's hearts, perhaps, but not hers. What annoyed her—and she felt annoyance and disbelief more than any other emotion by the end of it—was the apparent “fact” the Red Ajah's purpose had begun because of this man. She refused to believe it. Just because a man had been recorded pleading for be gentled did not mean women among the Aes Sedai did not think of that solution first. To Jagen, their big “Ajah secret” was nothing. Something to be thrown out a window and forgotten about. She knew their purpose. That recording meant nothing.

At the end Jagen had stalked out of the chamber shaking her head. Afterwards she had talked to several sisters who had shared her opinion and nowadays they were her only friends, if she could say she had any at all. She wondered about Larindhra's own view on it. She had never talked to the Sitter about it after since she left the Tower so quickly following the presentation, but she was beginning to feel that perhaps they felt similar. Perhaps that was why Larindhra was having this conversation with her—was she trying to figure her out?

Now Larindhra was telling her flat out gentling was not an option. Why they were letting these men run amok she did not understand, especially after what she heard happened at the Black Tower. Sisters had died and stilled as Larindhra said, so why hadn't something been done?

“I admit, I am not sure what to think except that they expect us to sit idle while they supposedly police their own? I cannot stand for that. Now we both know the question is what can we do?” She had thought about this on her own several times and still had no clear solution, just multiple ideas. “The Black Tower should be placed under the White Tower's watch. Very carefully. So should the Dragon for that matter. Does the White Tower have any Sisters attached to him?” she inquired. “Even so,” she went on, going back to the matter of the Asha'man, “we need to focus more on these Asha'man. There is no excuse for their organization, in my opinion, but now we cannot just take them down. But what is it we must do?” She realized she only repeated her own question. The Taraboner Red really had no idea how to deal with the men, because their traditional role had suddenly been turned upside down. But what could they do? “We have to alienate them from the world to keep everybody safe. Any numbers of these men can go mad.” Just then an idea came to her. “What if we send Reds to gentle those who show signs of madness? Do you think that would be possible?” But who wanted to actually be at the Black Tower all day, every day? She knew she didn't, because she would be fighting the urge to gentle any one of them, madness or no. Men just did not deserve to channel.

Larindhra shuddered at the thought of spending day in and day out in the company of not one, but hundreds of men who could channel. Men who were more than likely already going mad. And not be allowed to gentle them. What were they to do? She had hoped that Jagen would be able to come up with a solution, since she herself had wracked her brains with no result. Well, hopefully Jagen just needed a bit more time to think about it. She seemed to be on the right trail, at least.

“Alienating them from the world is certainly one option. The world has always looked to Aes Sedai to deal with men who can channel, as they should.” Larindhra regarded Jagen for a few moments, then nodded to herself. The girl would do nicely, indeed. She would voice the opinions Larindhra herself held, but could not express without losing her ability to manipulate others. “As to your question about the Dragon – there are Sisters with him, yes. Whether they are the right Sisters … “ She gave Jagen a significant look.

Decision made, she put her teacup down and rose. “Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me, Sister. I hope we shall have many opportunities to do that in the future,” she added with her warm smile. “If you will excuse me now … a Sitter’s duties are never done, I’m afraid.”  It shouldn’t be too difficult to set Zarinen to thinking that a young Sitter might be more inclined towards her revolutionary ideas. In fact, several advantages could be pointed out to her. Then of course, there was the faction that Jagen herself belonged to. Though not large, some of them were quite influential. With enough subtle prompting, one of their less controversial members could be persuaded to nominate Jagen. Yes – matters definitely were looking up.

Larindhra Reyne

Sitter of the Red Ajah