DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What causes Rand's sickness?

Toad

Iwas surprised that once the taint was cleaned that he was having as hard a time using the source as before.  What did I miss?

It's understood that although the Cleansing means that no men will get any WORSE from the taint, neither will their current level of 'madness' or taint lessen - basically, they'll not get any worse but they'll stay the same as at the point that the taint was cleansed.

Does that make sense?

Guest Dreadlord

He is worse because of the sheer volume of Saidin he has channeled altogether I think. Think about the Cleansing; remember just how much tainted Saidin (taking into account the male Choeden Kal which is immense, as well as Callandor which is strong and ALSO magnifies the Taint) went through him, Rand took all of the effect of the Taint during the Cleansing-Rand alone. I think the Cleansing had more of an effect on Rand than people thought. The sickness seeemed to come abruptly in my opinion, and it wasnt before the Cleansing if I remember right. hat will be why he suffers it and nobody else does; because the Ashaman havent channeled any wwhere near as much Tainted Saidin as Rand had

He is worse because of the sheer volume of Saidin he has channeled altogether I think. Think about the Cleansing; remember just how much tainted Saidin (taking into account the male Choeden Kal which is immense, as well as Callandor which is strong and ALSO magnifies the Taint) went through him, Rand took all of the effect of the Taint during the Cleansing-Rand alone. I think the Cleansing had more of an effect on Rand than people thought. The sickness seeemed to come abruptly in my opinion, and it wasnt before the Cleansing if I remember right. hat will be why he suffers it and nobody else does; because the Ashaman havent channeled any wwhere near as much Tainted Saidin as Rand had

Wow, talk about setting the guy up as a Christ-figure.

Guest Dreadlord

UNQUOTE

Whats Christ-figurey about it?

UNQUOTE

Sacrificing himself to save the world(death on the cross, shedding blood).  Taking the sin (taint) of the world.  battling the dark one(satan).  He was the prophesied saviour.  The parallels are't exact, but they are there.

The sickness comes from hos link with with Moridin, though the exposure to the taint would not exactly make things better.

how did the link to Moridin come about again?

The sickness comes from hos link with with Moridin, though the exposure to the taint would not exactly make things better.

how did the link to Moridin come about again?

Their balefirestreams crossed while Moridin was using TP. End of ACOS.

Sacrificing himself to save the world(death on the cross, shedding blood).  Taking the sin (taint) of the world.  battling the dark one(satan).  He was the prophesied saviour.  The parallels are't exact, but they are there.

I'm glad to see someone else sees it! It's not just me! I can't find it now, but I read an interview with Robert Jordan somewhere, about five or six years ago, and when asked what other books inspired him, one that he listed was the Bible. I wish I knew where it was, I have looked everywhere and can't find it again....

This is also why I don't think Rand will die permanently. Something will happen to bring him back, even if it's only for a while.

Anyway, that was sort of a tangent.

Does Rand's sickness start immediately (or at least soon) after the balefire crossing incident? I can't remember, I haven't read that part in a while. I'm on a re-read and haven't gotten that far. For some reason I remember him starting to get sick after the Cleansing.

I'm glad to see someone else sees it! It's not just me! I can't find it now, but I read an interview with Robert Jordan somewhere, about five or six years ago, and when asked what other books inspired him, one that he listed was the Bible. I wish I knew where it was, I have looked everywhere and can't find it again....

This is also why I don't think Rand will die permanently. Something will happen to bring him back, even if it's only for a while.

Anyway, that was sort of a tangent.

Does Rand's sickness start immediately (or at least soon) after the balefire crossing incident? I can't remember, I haven't read that part in a while. I'm on a re-read and haven't gotten that far. For some reason I remember him starting to get sick after the Cleansing.

I recall that also.  See if I can remember where I saw it...

Oh, and another parallel - the trinity - Rand, Mat, Perrin

It starts showing in POD, and then increases. In WH he mentions the nausea and dizziness almost every single time he seizes Saidin (ie before the cleansing).

As for the amazon Q&A, notice that he says that tha Bible has had influence on his own life, which is quite a different story from having influenced his writing.

That said, of course there are a few parallells between rand and jesus, though not as many as between Rand and Arthur, if any influence can be said to be dominant, it is Arthurian legends. And I would say that even Norse religion is more obvious as an influence than the bible. But then, I am more familiar with norse religion than christianity, so of course I would have that impression.

It starts showing in POD, and then increases. In WH he mentions the nausea and dizziness almost every single time he seizes Saidin (ie before the cleansing).

As for the amazon Q&A, notice that he says that tha Bible has had influence on his own life, which is quite a different story from having influenced his writing.

That said, of course there are a few parallells between rand and jesus, though not as many as between Rand and Arthur, if any influence can be said to be dominant, it is Arthurian legends. And I would say that even Norse religion is more obvious as an influence than the bible. But then, I am more familiar with norse religion than christianity, so of course I would have that impression.

I imagine we all see what wee are more familiar with - making the connections is easier.  Just like mentioned in other threads, all the characters are amalgamations (amalgams?) of historical and fictional figures.

UNQUOTE

Self-sacrifice to save the world is pretty common in most epic fantasy. Frodo didn't exactly expect to return after destroying the ring and I have quite a number more examples but won't post them here cos they'll spoil so many nice books.

Furthermore, Rand did not eliminate the taint for the good of humankind in general. Rather, it was done to prevent himself and all other male channelers from going mad. He specifically wonders several times how many more Asha'man he would lose to the taint before TG and what that would do to his chances in TG. So I wouldn't really say taking the taint (sin) of the world.

Archived