DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why are wilders hated by AS?

I have no idea really why wilders are hated by most AS.

They had the spark and eventually learned to channel somewhat and survived the horrible illness that claims 75% of wilders. They did not get the chance to go to the White Towe, or perhaps they were too afraid or perhaps they were not allowed by the family etc...

Why do AS dislike them?

For the same reasons people hate anyone.

Fear of the 'other.'  Fear of 'what they know that I don't.'  Suspicion that they learned what they know without having to undergo the indignities of learning from the Tower, ie. 'they' didn't have to pay as high a price for that knowledge.

With a little imagination you can extend that list almost endlessly.

Why is there racism in our time where everything is potentially so outgoing and free? You fear what you do not know and understand, or what you can't control and most Aes Sedai, I said most and not all 'cause I love 'em are in fact control freaks.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Because they show that the WT is not actually needed. Many of them use their talent to help their community - the wise women in Ebou Dar - whereas Aes Sedai don't actually do anything.

For the same reasons people hate anyone.

Fear of the 'other.'  Fear of 'what they know that I don't.'  Suspicion that they learned what they know without having to undergo the indignities of learning from the Tower, ie. 'they' didn't have to pay as high a price for that knowledge.

With a little imagination you can extend that list almost endlessly.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head.  I couldnt have said it better.

i believe that the reason AS hate wilders is because most of them are jealous.  wilders who became AS are sentimental to other wilders, proof being Nyneave's teacher (or the AS who was supposed to help her get past her block), but AS who had to learn, or struggle with grasping the OP, are jealous that they had to work so hard to learn how to channel

Because they show that the WT is not actually needed. Many of them use their talent to help their community - the wise women in Ebou Dar - whereas Aes Sedai don't actually do anything.

Amen. Aes Sedai don't actually do anything (there's another thread about this somewhere, it's very good). They exist to perpetuate their own existance. Anyone who learns the Power without their help is antithetical to that purpose.

In the grand scheme of things, it's an enormous instituation with a lot of percieved power. I feel that it's just something to be broken so people turn to the Dragon Reborn.

I disagree with the WT being useless.  I think it could be made WAY better, and AS should get a different perspective on the world, but it needs to exist.  Without it, even more women would die because they did not receive proper training.  Anything that saves lives is not useless.

I disagree with the WT being useless.  I think it could be made WAY better, and AS should get a different perspective on the world, but it needs to exist.  Without it, even more women would die because they did not receive proper training.  Anything that saves lives is not useless.

This may come about in the future, but as it stands today in Randland, it is utterly useless.

Mysterious

``Aes Sedai don't actually do anything (there's another thread about this somewhere, it's very good). They exist to perpetuate their own existance.''

Of course... Yellows don't heal anyone, Greys don't negotiate anything, Blues don't advanced causes, Reds don't keep men who can channel from tearing up the world. Cadsuane's exploits were never of any use to anyone. I do have the impression that Whites and Browns don't share much with the world, but keep their knowledge in Tar Valon, but some of them are advisors, esp. to rulers? Is their advice always and only about advancing the White Tower? I think maybe we have a few Whitecloaks among us :-(

People should stop "exagerrating" then. Saying the WT is useless is a far cry from saying they could be more effective. The latter is true, the first is an attitude I'm seeing more and more on these boards, ie total disregard for basing your opinions on evidence and logic, and then resorting to personal attacks on those who try to debate with you.

The reason AS hate wilders is because 1 in 4 dies and the 1 that does not make a block that either keeps her from her full potential or means work by her and sister teachers to help her break the block.

I do not think jealosy has anything to do with it.

The term wilder generally refers to AS who are in training.

Once they are full sisters, they are ofter refered to as they were wilders, not they are wilders.

No doubt they could be more effective, but there are substantial limits in the circumstances in which they must work. E.g., the borderlands are very dangerous (trolloc raids &c.), they are barred from Amadacia and Tear, they can't channel in Far Madding, and so on. The Grays can't stop wars between Illian and Tear, if the latter won't accept White Tower mediation, and so it goes.

The reason AS hate wilders is because 1 in 4 dies and the 1 that does not make a block that either keeps her from her full potential or means work by her and sister teachers to help her break the block.

I do not think jealosy has anything to do with it.

The term wilder generally refers to AS who are in training.

I thought it was 3 in 4 dies.  I always that AS dislike wilders because they are born with the ability to channel, where as a lot of the sisters who really hate wilders had to learn how.

I believe a woman who learns to channel on their own is referred to as a wilder.  Like Nyneave is a wilder because she subconsciously channeled when healing before she went to the WT.

It's because of how the Tower was founded.

The Tower was an amalgamation of independent groups.

They then waged a campaign against "false" Aes Sedai, meaning those groups who didn't join intially.

Wilders potentially fall under that umbrella- since "false" Aes Sedai are wilders, see?

It's all the ancient campaign of legitimacy. If no-one not them is legitimate, then they are more legitimate.

Archived