DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Something else funny about Faile

bluecole

In KoD, when Perrin doses the town of Malden ( i think that's the name) with forkroot,  most of the channlers fall over.  Regardless on ability. they all drop or are incapacitated.

After Rolan rescues Faile and her group, they hand them waterbags.  Morgase takes a drink and has to be carried out.  In a direct POV, Faile takes a sip and the (my paraphrase) water makes her feel "groggy" for a moment.

I don't think she can channel at all, or she would be on the ground.  However, would forkroot affect you if you only had the recessive gene for channeling? 

The TAS have tested it on non-channlers, and none of them showed any affect.  You would think they would report any strange feelings, given the AS interest.

I don't really care if Faile can channel, but it brings up an interesting point:

If it's true, all three of the Ta'veren brothers will (for lack of a better word) breed with those who carry the gene for channeling. 

You could take that thought and twist it in many different directions: super channlers, ta'veren as a talent, (i know, ta'veren is attached to the soul vs. genes) or, it could create a pool of concentrated cahnnelling genes that could dilute thru the next generations to "revive" the ability that's been culled out.

Neat, huh?

B.

I may be wrong here, but i'm pretty sure that we learn about Forkroot from Nynaeve, who discusses having used it as a sedative. It's only when Ronde Macura dose her and Elayne with it that we discover it has the effect of preventing channeling too where it is used on channelers.

So Morgase had to be carried out because she is a (very weak) channeler - she had the sedative effect ontop of the effect of being blocked from the source (which i'm sure she can barely sense anyway), and Faile felt groggy due to the beginnings of the sedative effect.

I think  ;)

It also would have depended on how big a gulp they each took. Knowing Faile she probably took the smallest amount possible, just to prove she could survive without water.

that we hear of Seanchan soldiers giving a tea to every woman passing through a checkpoint, and whenever the drinker gets unsteady on her feet, she's immediately collared and made damane.

By this text, Faille would be collared in that case... so it seems likely that she can channel.

On the other hand, she's a bit old to have not started yet, if she was born with the spark. Of course, we don't know what effect forkroot has on one who can learn, and we do know that the Seanchan are largely still unaware that channelling can be learned, so it's entirely possible that Faille can learn.

Good catch, though, and an interesting addition to a character that I've always appreciated. Not necessarily liked as a "person", but appreciated as a character. I think Saldean women are neat. Nary a boring one in the bunch.

--Shannon

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

that we hear of Seanchan soldiers giving a tea to every woman passing through a checkpoint, and whenever the drinker gets unsteady on her feet, she's immediately collared and made damane.

By this text, Faille would be collared in that case... so it seems likely that she can channel.

On the other hand, she's a bit old to have not started yet, ......

Maybe she has a block ....?

I'd be suprised and a bit disappointed to be honest.

It was stated by Silviana that one tenth the amoung to forkroot required to make a nonchanneler feel queezy would have a channeler unconcious--she states that she does not like it because of that because it seems aimed directly at Aes Sedai.

This is precisely what we see with Faile--Perrin poured massive quantities of the drug into the cistern, enough to knock out any channeler in seconds, enough to make a non-channeler feel briefly queezy.

The collar would not work on Faile, and if the Forkroot is only making channelers weak in the knees its not enough to have effected her anyway.

i could have swore that one of the seachan officers said that it knock channerler out with a few gulps but will knock out a non channeler but it takes 10 times as much to do so, dont have the books to hand at the mo to check

I'm fairly certain it was an Aes Sedai that said that, but I honestly can't tell you where.

Ah, ninja'd in better detail.

This is precisely what we see with Faile--Perrin poured massive quantities of the drug into the cistern, enough to knock out any channeler in seconds, enough to make a non-channeler feel briefly queezy.

The collar would not work on Faile, and if the Forkroot is only making channelers weak in the knees its not enough to have effected her anyway.

But we also see Egwene feed enough forkroot to render her so weak in the Power as to be useless, without affecting her consciousness at all. This suggests that there is a dose that will block a channeler without knocking them out.

If the Shaido Wise Ones were unconscious during the fight at Malden, then you're right, and Faille cannot channel. If they were awake, but blocked, then Faile reacted to a much smaller dose, and probably can.

Does anyone remember if Morgase reacts at all to the water? This would be a good clue, as she's about as weak in the Power as it's possible to be.

--Shannon

Read the post...

After Rolan rescues Faile and her group, they hand them waterbags.  Morgase takes a drink and has to be carried out.  In a direct POV, Faile takes a sip and the (my paraphrase) water makes her feel "groggy" for a moment.

But we also see Egwene feed enough forkroot to render her so weak in the Power as to be useless, without affecting her consciousness at all. This suggests that there is a dose that will block a channeler without knocking them out.

Yes, we know... it requires that the channeler is fed only a miniscule ammount. Massive quantities were put into the water Faile comsumed, enough to knock out Morgase and the Wise Ones in an instant.

If the Shaido Wise Ones were unconscious during the fight at Malden, then you're right, and Faille cannot channel. If they were awake, but blocked, then Faile reacted to a much smaller dose, and probably can.

They were unconcious, we see this through Galina's POV, not to mention Morgase.

Does anyone remember if Morgase reacts at all to the water? This would be a good clue, as she's about as weak in the Power as it's possible to be.

She passed out. All of this has been stated in the thread, it would do well for you to read before you post.

Archived