DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] So You Think You Can Dance FOX

Mendorah

Anybody watching?

I missed the first audition day.  But I caught all of last night.  They were in Dallas for the last little bit.  hehe, and they caught an interesting little sample of Dallas folk.  I laughed quite a lot. 

So far, the red head from Salt Lake City whose mom is a choreographer is my favorite of the few I've seen.

I'm watching!!  :)

I like her too.  It's weird, sometimes I see someone dance and think "yeah, ok" and other times I do get the goosebumps one of the judges was talking about.  It really is something that is difficult to define, but when you see it you know it.  I am looking forward to the vegas rounds!  Usually I don't end up catching much of the auditions, but thanks to DVR I am this time around.  I want to be a dancer when I grow up!

Oh dear.  Tonight took the cake with the horrid cross dresser.  I'm pretty sure it was a joke, honestly.  Mary Murphy called it. 

And what's with Thriller?  I realize that its the 20th (?) anniversary and all, but I think I've heard some sort of tribute or montage or "look it's Thriller" bit on nearly every regular TV channel.  Plus there's a commercial for vitamin water or some such with the music and it has Nothing to do with the product.  It's just "LooK it's Thriller!"

The dead girls were funny, but the "crumping en pointe" was even better.

WOW!  The kid who had auditioned before but was too young BLEW ME AWAY!!!!  He even got a Mary Murphy scream on Audition Day!

The skinny nerdy dude in the yellow jumpsuit was hysterical.

I am watching... but ONLY to please the wife. 

You missed some good popping on the first audition though.  And yes I think it repeats on Monday but am not sure. 

I hope some hotties make it to the finals. 

Oooh I hope it does repeat on Monday.  I'll have to watch out for that.  They've never done repeats before, but then again, there was always programming scheduled before too, so I bet they're just filling the gaps until some new show premieres start up.

I love watching the popers.  I wanna do that, actually.  I was always good at isolations in dance class, so I probably could, but I'm a skardey cat to try.

They didn't show much of the dead girls at all, but little snippets.  I wish they had shown their whole audition because one of the snippets had them coming off the stage and up to Nigel.  It was bizzare.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight's the First night of couples performances.  Yaaaaay!  The first week is always tough because you don't know anyone yet and they're all trying out their partners for the first time.  Hopefully we'll get some really good stuff anyways.

Rayven & Jamie - Hip Hop:  This routine was a cute way to start out the show.  I liked it.  However, I agree with Dan in that it wasn't Amazing.  She's a ballerina and I Can't Wait to see her doing some contemporary!  I think I saw that this year we have two ballerinas.  I think we've only had one in the past with season 2.

Suzie & Marquis - Smooth Waltz:  I just Love Hayley Westrenra (sp?) her voice is just amazing.  Marquis was amazing to watch.  Suzie, eh, not so much.  Not bad, but not great either.  I think they were missing some partnering connection. 

Kourtni & Matt - Jazz:  Eh.  I didn't really like the choreography.  and you couldn't see the little gem thingie he was supposed to have.  Wasn't diggin' it.

Chelsea & Thayne - Cha Cha:  Boy this couple Poured it On!  I'm still not sure if it was actually a cha cha since it had little footwork, but it was still Hot!  I can't wait to see what this couple brings for the rest of the season.  I have a feeling they're going to be a couple to watch.

Chelsie H. & Mark - Contemporary:  Sometimes I love Mia Michaels' choreography and sometimes not so much.  This time was right in between.  Chelsea was amazing.  Unfortunately, you couldn't see a lot from the dress.  Some of it the dress helped the look and some it hindered.  For instance, that whole lift sequence at the end, you couldn't see Mark, but the way the dress looked in the sequence was really cool.  I think in the end, she's going to end up out dancing him.

Kherington & Twitch - Broadway:  "Twitchington"  I like it. and I liked their dance too!  What a good stroke of fortune that Twitch got a first dance where he could clown a little.  he did a great job.  I hope he can keep up with her in the future because she's a Firecracker.  I'm excited to see how Twitch progresses and grows.

Comfort  & Chris - Missed this one.  I only saw a few snippets, but I did see the vignette at the beginning and, wow, Comfort is going to be interesting.  I predict a melt down.  She's waaay too proud.  In fact, I was actually surprised at how well the partnering seemed to be going from what I saw.

Katie & Joshua:  Dang!  I missed this one too.  Well, I saw it sort of, but I had to take a phonecall.  This was the couple with the homeless dude from Dallas.  From what I saw it was amazing.  Hopefully I can catch it on You Tube tomorrow.

Jessica & Will - Tango:  I'm not too impressed with her.  She seemed off center and sloppy.  He was good.  as a partnership they just didn't hold my attention.  Execept the amazing lift at the end.  That was Awesome!  I don't agree with Mary at all saying that they're the couple to beat.

Courntey & Gev - Disco:  I tell ya, two years ago I never would have guessed that I would look forward the most to the Disco dances.  Seriously.  But Doriana Sanchez has consistently delivered some Fun routines.  It wasn't seamless.  Not by a mile.  But considering Gev is a B Boy and this is his first dance out of the gate, I think Nigel was a bit hard on them.  Honestly, I felt the judges were being too lenient on everybody because it was the first night, so why would Nigel break form and let them have it?  I dunno.  I don't think they'll be a couple to watch, but they weren't horrible.

Just caught up with this on Youtube.  Watching the show again has inspired this ex-bunhead to sign up for a jazz class this summer. I figure it's time to let loose a little bit, and if I want to try and perform in December, it would be good to refamiliarize myself with something other than ballet.

As for the dancers:

Katee and Joshua were by FAR the best performance of the night. Mendorah, definitely look them up.

I adored Mia's piece, though I agree that the legs were hard to see with all that tulle in the skirt. It wasn't as good as K & J, but I might have liked it a little better for sentimental reasons.

Now, as a formerly serious ballerina, I have to say I think Rayven's technique is mediocre. I was not terribly impressed with her ballet, though she wasn't bad overall. I am not surprised she was sent home, and won't miss her much.

Disco - I really liked the choreography, but was less than inspired by the performance.

As for the others, nothing in particular stood out as very good or very bad, although I'm sure I will develop... stronger opinions about each dancer as we see more of them. *g*

Just caught up with this on Youtube.  Watching the show again has inspired this ex-bunhead to sign up for a jazz class this summer. I figure it's time to let loose a little bit, and if I want to try and perform in December, it would be good to refamiliarize myself with something other than ballet.

Before I crashed my car a couple of weeks ago and had to seriously re-budget for a new one, I was all set to start taking some ballet classes again.  It turns out one of my neighbors teaches an adult class about half way to home from work.  That's gonna have to go on the backburner, though for a while.  *pouts*  BUT!  I've found a meetup group in my area that does free dance classes often, so I may not be totally dance sidelined afterall. 

Chelsie & Thane - Jazz:  Man, I really llike this couple, but either the camera work or the choreography just didn't show them off very well.

Mark & Chelsea - Argentine Tango:  I love the argentine tango.  I enjoyed their dance.  Mark is still the weakest guy for me, but I really enjoyed it.  She was Awesome!  And I didn't think he would be able to pull it off, but he was strong without being too strong.  He was great.

Jessica & Will - Hip Hop?:  I don't like Jessica.  I do like Will though.  Sometimes I wonder if I've seen too many Amazing routines that I'm expecting too much this early.  I don't know what it is.

Courtney & Matt - Fox Trot:  Matt was Amazing at this dance!  courtney, not as much.  She wasn't soft enough  but I enjoyed this dance Much more than last week.

Kourtney & Geb - contemporary?: 

Joshua & Katie - Broadway:  These guys are probably my favorite couple.  and it's a bonus that Joshua's a hometown boy.  and to think that this chick was almost sent home and her friend brought in instead.  the Tralala space???  Mary's lost it.

Susie & Marquis - Salsa:  Well, that's a shame that Alex said Susie was a street salsa dancer.  I enjoyed watching it.  Yeah, I agree that they weren't working together very well, but I just don't know enough about this dance to say what was wrong other than they just weren't cutting it together.

Karrington & Twitch - Viennese Waltz:  Oh dear.  Poor Twitch.  Oh I hope he can pull this off since it's such an emotional piece.  Viennese Waltz isn't a cakewalk.  Well, Twitch wasn't in his element for sure and he wasn't perfect, but he did very well, I think for what his background is and for how early he drew this one because it's tough.  Karrington was beautiful. 

Comfort & Chris - Crumping:  uh oh.  Whiteboy getting his Krump on.  Well...he got the dance moves.  I don't think he was very scary though.  Definately not a gangsta.  Maybe in a broadway play where whiteboys play gangstas.  But not for real.  Ok, it wasn't as bad as Nigel made it to be, though.

Carrington & Twitch - Hip Hop:  I just loved the comedy of this routine.  It suited Twitch perfectly.  And Carrington was quite a surprise in the way that she really got into the dance and owned the hard moments where she was supposed to be Gangsta-Like.  I thought there was a couple of times where they missed being 100% together, but it didn't kill the routine as there were a couple of choreographed times where they were supposed to be a little separate in their actions.  Although, I'll say I miss Shane Sparks.  These new choreographers are good and fun, but I still miss Shane.  I'm happy he has his own show and stuff, but I'm still holding out hope that he'll guest choreograph on SYTYCD anyways.

Courtney & Gev - Rhumba:  Poor Gev, this looked like it was pretty hard for him.  I didn't believe this dance until nearly the end.  And once I believed it, it was Super Hot! 

Comfort & Chris - Jazz?:  Ew.  Bad.  an I Love Marilyn Manson, so I had a lot of hope for something cool.  They botched the hell out of that dance, no power, no passion, it just totally missed everything.  Well, ok, I'll give the judges that they put power behind some of it, but it was the wrong sort of power, they weren't Feeling the music whatsoever.  Yikes.

Jessica & Will - Disco:  Jessica's never been my favorite dancer by a mile.  I'm ready for her to go.  And that vignette sold me even more on it.  Will's awesome.  The dance was just adoreable.  It goes well with jessica's bouncy personality.  I saw myself the one point near the end where it looked like they forgot what was to come next.  And then there was the bobble at the end where Will fell.  I don't believe it was bad enough for them to be in the bottom 3, though because I think this was their best yet and it was obviously, Really difficult, and people for some reason seem to like them.  Maybe it's because Will is so awesome.

Courtney & Matt - contemporary:  I love new choreographers.  they're always so full of surprises.  And it's even more super cool that she's a super fan of the show.  I think that if Courtney was paired with Will and Jessica with Matt, Jessica and Matt would both be out of the competition.  I get Matt when he's doing his solos.  But outside of his solos I have yet to get what's so fantastic about him.  He's lanky and long and a little strange to watch.  Even in this contemporary. 

Chelsea & Thane - Quickstep:  Oh dear.  The quickstep.  Oh no.  It looks like my firecracker couple from the first week have dimmed sufficiently.  that looked like it was all over the place and terribly strained.  I 100% agree with everything Mary said in her critique.

Chelesa & Mark - Hip Hop:  THAT'S what I've been Waiting for this season!!!!!!!  This partnership just blossomed from eh, to getting there, to Powerful.  there was so much passion and emotion.  They acted their parts and it was believable and Beautiful.  That's the first time this season that I thought, "I wish I was up there dancing that."

Katie & Joshua - Samba:  Katie and Joshua are Amazing!  You know what I loved about this Samba?  It felt like a Real dance that Real people dance in clubs not a performance piece that nobody would ever dance.  It felt REAL!  And it was So sexy!  I'm proud of the hometown boy AGAIN!  I can't believe Nigel made Joshua's dad show his butt to the camera!  That was awesome.  Yep.  Two tickets on the Hot Tamale train Indeed!

There were some great dances performed tonight, but I'm still waiting on that one that just Really touches me.  I know it's early yet, but I thing it's time for our dancers to start Wowing us and not just getting a "they were all good" from the judges.

I think mary's really throwing it over the top this year.  She's always been a bit exhuberant and I've always enjoyed it, but she's a bit too much for me this year.  The guest judge is always like that.  Thankfully, he's just a guest judge.  I've never been a fan of his judging.

usually we watch once the show has been DVRd so that we can skip at least 30seconds of each judge :)  and a bunch of the recaps and bits of info about the partnership and whatever, makes the show last about 20 minutes! :)  Anyhow, I was glad for who went home this week.  I think both of them were the current weakest.  I felt like this was the strongest episode yet though, and it gives me hope for the future.

Also, what is it with pretty much all the jazz routines being sucky this year?  Do I not get jazz or is the choreography totally lame on most of them, and on rare occasions the dancers just dance lamely to somewhat decent choreography?

Emp bases his decisions on what dress the girl is wearing.  Needless to say he was happy with this week's episode :P

M & Fer!!!!!  I had a critique for the whole first half (except the first dance that I missed) and my friggin' cat shut down my computer.  So screw it, just impressions tonight.

Katie and Joshua were friggin' Amazing in their contemporary!  I cried.  Just beautiful.

Jessica and Will were Amazing in their Lyrical Jazz!  I've always loved Will and disliked Jessica, but I have to say that Jessica really pulled it out tonight.  She showed me why she deserves to be on this show and for the first time I don't wish her to be voted out.  Man, that routine was Hot!

I think Comfort's problem isn't that she's not a good dancer.  She's proven herself both times tonight to be a good dancer, elegant even.  Her problem is that she's a Bad Actor.  She doesn't feel the dance in her soul.  She'll never excell unless she can feel the dance in her soul.

One of the things I love about this show is watching some of the dancers who I wouldn't think would be able to adapt, really flower.  Just like I was so proud of Both Dominik and Hok last year, I am so proud of Twitch.  I've really enjoyed watching him learn and surprise me each week.

Well, I've thought it from the first episode, but now I think I'm pretty positive.  I think Cat Deeley's pregnant.  She has just the tiniest hint of a little preggers tummy and her face and arms have that lovely pregnant lady plump and glow.  There's nothing that my weak google-fu could pull up except a lot of others speculating the same thing.  Surely they'll acknowledge it before the season is over as it will only get more noticable.  It's not like it's a bad thing.  The fans of the show will probably go crazy when they do announce it.

Ok... I started watching this show this season so I can actually make intelligent comments.

The guys are MUCH stronger this year than the girls.  But lets go over Empy's review.

Twitch needs to put on a shirt. 

I miss the half dresses from last week. 

Mr. McSmiley is going home this week as well as Comfort. 

Yeah, you know last year was the first time a girl has won this show.  They guys have always excelled over the girls for some reason.  And you wouldn't exactly expect that.  Unless maybe it's because most of the guys have had to Fight to dance their whole lives and girls are handed the opportunity.

Awww, no Twitch body love from you????  The half dresses last week were pretty hot.

I agree Comfort is going home.  Or, well, she SHOULD.  Mr. McSMiley, you mean Comfort's new partner or the really tall guy with the blonde, Matt, i think?

Comfort's new guy... the one that smiles like the joker.  He has never really impressed me and will eventually be going home.  It will be between him and Matt who was umimpressive this week.

Also on the chopping block with be Kortni but in the end I think it will be Comfort and Matt that go home.

OMG BOLLYWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Katie and Joshua were the first to do the dance ever on this show!  I LOVED IT!!!  I love bollywood anyways, so when they did it so well I was all EEEEEEEEE!!!

So I missed a LOT tonight.  I came in on the end of Jessica and Will's Adam and Eve number.  I'm gonna have to catch it on you tube tomorrow.

Comfort didn't get the boot last week, but Surely this week will be her last.  That contemporary she and Thane did was Awful!  It had No Soul!

Archived