DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions Coming Up During a Re-Read (Up to TSR) New Q's

bluecole

I'm doing a re-read of the entire series, and i have a couple of questions.

1.  Before travelling comes along later in the series, RJ describes it as a "shimmering" in the air before the person steps out.  However, after rand does it, it becomes the twisting white rotating line thingy.  Also, about mid way through the series, the forsaken start using a "doorbell" before they pop thru.  At the beginnings, though, they just appear. Q: are their two types of travelling, or was it not thought all the way out?

2. When the 3 wonder girls are captured by DFs on the way to Tear, they end up almost being sold to three Myddrell.  Of course, they break out, the aiel come, and they all die when Nyg BF's them.  Q: why didn't the Aiel they killed come back? A: one thing i htought of was E&E fired and smushed them into a tiny ball before Nyg BF'd them.  Still, their thread should have been burned back far enough for it to be remarked on.

3. Why isn't there a prolouge in TSR?

Also, i wanted to add the Brian S. is an alomst perfect choice to finish AMoL.  Every fantsy/worldbuilder i read i compare to RJ, and BS(hehe) matched him closer than anybody i've read.  If you look at his "magic" (BTW, i hate that word) system in his Alloymancy novels, it's almost as cool as channelling.

Can't wait to see it.

I think early in the series, they didn't Travel; it is possible RJ may not have worked out the details, it is impossible to know so, and he has made a point of not revealing information he doesn't need to too early, however be it as it may, he didn't commit himself either so he would have needed to change things. In any fairness to the writer, I think you must say he did not change his mind. What is written is what is correct, after all, not what he intended unless he made a correction in later prints. As what is written is correct, what happened happened according to rules, only we didn't know them then. So:

Hope I remember here every case.

In the prologue, Ishamael shimmered, but in fact this can be explained by him being sealed in the Bore, so he did not Travel, he came into the reality (from a kind of shadowy tel'aran'rhiod according to my theory) in a way no one else except perhaps Slayer is able to. Though it is also possible he'd have been around invisible earlier, since in Rand's dream he said he had ordered LTT to do what he did, but no probably if he ordered it he did it earlier and then came back later when he'd stopped channelling.

In that same chapter LTT simple Travelled, but it is not unreasonable that he did not think of it any further since he was an experienced channeller. It was simple stated that he travelled without going into gateways and stuff since it wasn't relevant at the time.

In the eye of the world again Rand was somewhere else suddenly, but he was manipulating the Eye. At the end of tGH Lanfear simply disappeared, but likely she put on invisibility, to sneak around and watch Rand. It is even possible that is why Egwene was drawn to Rand, that is if Lanfear commanded her to, to open doors so as not to spoil the invisibility by a door opening for no reason, as she did in the next book Berelain sending the letter to Rand, Lanfear had most probably put a finder on Rand so she could find him.

In the Stone Rand used a gateway to get to Tel'aran'rhiod after Ishamael, but that is a slightly different weave from Travelling, it was noted in FoH too. Egwene notes there is a shimmering screen there when she does it, but not in a normal gateway. It is different to go in the same place to another reality, than to go to a different place in the same reality.

When a Forsaken uses a doorbell, it may be relevant where they go and whether or not they are expected. Lanfear did not ring a bell on Rahvin in FoH, true, but perhaps she was more arrogant than courteous, and the others were invited by Lanfear. Moghedien and Cyndane however were not in a place to be arrogant when going uninvited to Graendal's palace. Besides, if the other person might be bathing for instance, it would be poor manners to just jump out of the air.

2. Nynaeve's balefire is described as a thin bar. The Myrddraal didn't burn back far enough. You remember the Darkhounds in FoH, the ones that slobbered on Mat's arm. Well, they were coming through the door, and Mat remembered they'd slobbered all over his arm, but after the balefire only a small speck had landed, fatal enough though had Moiraine not been there. Anyway, that was as small Rand could make it, but it had surely burnt less than a second. Moiraine was capable of burning a few seconds at most, she said, and Nynaeve was no stronger at that point. A few second out of the Myrddraal's fighting, and not much of a difference would happened. Perhaps someone was saved.

3. RJ thought it didn't need one, a prologue didn't fit because he wanted to start it with the wind, or he intentionally wanted to break the pattern.

1. The earliest gateways that you see are the gateway into and out of Tel'aran'rhiod, they are the ones that give you the impression of turning but have no visible edges or anything. Both Rand and egwene use this form of gateway in the later books. These gateways you speak of are two seperate and distinct things.

2. Nyneave only gave a bhort burst, much weaker than the blast Moiraine gave to Be'lal, and Moiraines blast, as she said from her own mouth, was only enough to remove a thread a matter of seconds into the pattern. Nyneave's probably only removed a couple of seconds maximum. If you recall, the Aiel at this point had been circling the Fades taunting them for a bit before the girls took action. The threads wouldn't have burnt back far enough for anything to have changed.

I also enjoy Sanderson's stuff. I just finished Mistborn: The Well of Ascension. Haven't slept in 36 hours...

God am I tired.

Just a little more about Nynaeve also. It kind of scared her of what she was doing. She admits she didn't know that it would happen. So, I don't think it would have been long because she broke it off in shock, if anything else. Who knows, if she would even remember what she did. She is good at picking things up that others learn, but who knows?

I'm doing a re-read of the entire series, and i have a couple of questions.

1.  Before travelling comes along later in the series, RJ describes it as a "shimmering" in the air before the person steps out.  However, after rand does it, it becomes the twisting white rotating line thingy.  Also, about mid way through the series, the forsaken start using a "doorbell" before they pop thru.  At the beginnings, though, they just appear. Q: are their two types of travelling, or was it not thought all the way out?

Ishamel was traveling using the True Power as apposed to the One Power. RJ clarifys this in one of his Q&As. What Ishy does is what it looks like when you travel with the True Power.

2. When the 3 wonder girls are captured by DFs on the way to Tear, they end up almost being sold to three Myddrell.  Of course, they break out, the aiel come, and they all die when Nyg BF's them.  Q: why didn't the Aiel they killed come back? A: one thing i htought of was E&E fired and smushed them into a tiny ball before Nyg BF'd them.  Still, their thread should have been burned back far enough for it to be remarked on.

She didn't balefire them long enough or powerfully enough.

3. Why isn't there a prolouge in TSR?

Because RJ started it with the first chapter instead.

Ishamel was traveling using the True Power as apposed to the One Power. RJ clarifys this in one of his Q&As. What Ishy does is what it looks like when you travel with the True Power.

Care to quote that, because Moridin later describes TP travelling as 'tearing a hole in reality, and stepping through'.

Furthermore, we also witness LTT travel instantly, and later Rand, then in book two we see Lanfear do it.

I would also like to see this quote. The description of the gateway in the Eye of the World prologue matches the description of the gateway into Tel'aran'rhiod perfectly.

Furthermore, we also witness LTT travel instantly, and later Rand, then in book two we see Lanfear do it.

That is something I have always wondered anout too. Is it something similar to what the Portal Stones do? Or is it more related to the TAR gateway? Either way it always puzzled me how Rand was up with Aginor then suddenly was on the hilltop at Tarwin's Gap.

Allllriggghhhhtttt. . .

The first couple were softballs, really.  Here's a couple of good ones. . .

1. In TSR, during the attack on the stone, Lanafer says to Rand, "You have what passes for their souls easily enough. . . " or something like that.  Does that mean a LS channler could "turn" a Shadowspawn to his own ends? Hmmm.

2. it is stated several times thru out the series that Trollocs linked to a halfman die if the halfman is killed.  Doesn't this sound a lot like a corrupted version of AS/warder bond?  hmmm. . . .

None of these questions are meant to be critical of RJ's writing. as a reader, and follower of the series, i love all the attention to detail.  That makes the WOT what it is. 

It is quite an accomplisment for RJ.  This is my 5th read-through, and i'm still asking questions.  (besides who killed Asmo, or does T=D?)

B.   

To the posts before this, no we don't see this instant Travelling. We see what could be instant Travelling, or something else entirely, so I suggest, since instant Travelling is unknown, it is something else. You would think the Forsaken would use this different Travelling were it possible. Lanfear obviously made herself invisible, and thus vanished, but I already said this, just a little lengthy post. But yea, True Power does complicate matters, perhaps Ishamael could not even have used saidin, trapped as he was.

On 1. I do not understand the question. Forsaken can order Shadowspawn, Lanfear denied sending the ones that helped Rand, but indeed it is later revealed the Dark One had ordered Semirhage to send Trollocs to counter Sammael's attack on Rand.

2. Yes, some kind of link nevertheless. The Shadow seems to have its share of these things.

Ah yes, KuraFire asked about the prologue of TEotW, where Ishamael traveled, but with a different description than that of usual Traveling. Jordan said that that was because the Traveling was done by using the True Power. We'd seen the same since, when Moridin Travels somewhere... "The Pattern screamed."

Elf Fantasy Fair April 8th 2001, By Aan`allein

http://home.wanadoo.nl/nynaeve/april8th.html

The shimmering thing with Ishy in the EotW prologue was because of a True Power gateway!

Brisbane Signing Joel Gilmore September 1999

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Brisbane_signing_Joel_Gilmore_1999

RJ confirmed that Ishy's strange gateway at the start of TEoTW was due

to his use of the True Power.

Willum Brisbane Signing September 1999

I'm sorry, all three are second hand accounts in colloquial language. I don't buy it, not when the actual texts stand against it. Moridin's description of the TP gateway is clear.

Lanfear obviously made herself invisible, and thus vanished, but I already said this, just a little lengthy post. But yea, True Power does complicate matters, perhaps Ishamael could not even have used saidin, trapped as he was.

Folded Light involves a rippling completely absent with Lanfears disapearence.

2. it is stated several times thru out the series that Trollocs linked to a halfman die if the halfman is killed.  Doesn't this sound a lot like a corrupted version of AS/warder bond?  hmmm. . . .

My guess is that it is closer to a circle link. It seems highly probable that Myrdraal occur when the human gene for channeling breeds true.

Do you mean a ripple when it is initiated, or the ripple Rand saw when Rand fastened the thing on Egwene and she moved?

Cause the last in my opinion was a result of Rand doing it the first time, and furthermore not putting it on himself, or his surroundings, but a person moving in regards to himself. I don't believe we've seen anyone disappear, only it has been so, as with Moiraine at the seven towers at Malkier.

Furthermore, Lanfear most certainly did the same thing in the Dragon Reborn when Egwene went after 'Else, the messenger from the Amyrlin Seat.' Furthermore, it is very difficult to understand how, without such an ability, for instance Graendal could have done her share of pillaging in Sammael's chambers with Rand and the Asha'man constantly going in and out the door.

Now as to why it hasn't been seen on screen more, well the Forsaken are aware of what is possible and do not need to think about it, anyone who does so is invisible to other pov characters, and this is of course something that does not work with a lot of people around, so you need to avoid being seen opening doors or need to fear people bumping into you etc. However, Asmodean states in the Fires of Heaven that he used this to get past the Maidens guarding Rand's door, mentioned the difficulty. If he was able to mask opening the door, that is when near giving the illusion the door remained closed while he went through, no ripples would have been possible since the Maidens would have seen it.

My understanding of this was that Rand attached the invisibility ward to Egwene at first and when she moved it rippled, then when Rand saw this LTT told Rand how to avoid this by attaching the weave to something stationary, so Rand then attached the weave to the floor of his chambers.  I think it only ripples if the weave itself moves.

But I still think that there is a weave to travel instantly and not have to form a gateway or anything. Rand clearly did this at the end of EotW.

Mmm, I'd definitely say that Rand did not Travel at the end of the Eye of the World. What my opinion is, is that he used the Eye's ability to move about. He needed to get where he got, to stop the attack at Tarwin's Gap where defeat was imminent, and he needed to fight the shadow so he got where Ishamael was. However, what is not my opinion, when he passed out, when there was no more saidin left in the pool (I could speculate this powered the Eye's moving), a fact is Rand just was back where he had been, as if he'd never left. (Just like when he killed Ishamael in The Dragon Reborn.) Travelling cannot possibly explain Rand ending up back there on the cliff, instead, as the Green Man said, the Eye is always in the same place, what changes is where those who need it are.

and he needed to fight the shadow so he got where Ishamael was.

He actually formed a Skimming gateway to get there. In tSR he remembers what he did and then Skims to Rhuidean. But I've never thought that his appearing in Tarwin's Gap had anything to do with the Eye, that is a good idea and could very well be the reason.

Surely, in the Shadow Rising, he remembers the gateway he made to follow Ishamael into "Tel'aran'rhiod" in the Stone.

No, the gateway in tDR whe he followed Ishy was a gateway into TAR. The gateway he forms in tSR to follow Asmo is a skimming gateway. They are different. If you remember he opens the gateway and there are stairs, because that was how it first appeared to him in tEotW, when he opens the skimming gateway on the hill at Tarwin's Gap, and there are stairs and he goes up and confronts Ishy. He makes the TAR gateway in tDR and then again when he confronts Rahvin in tFoH.

Skimming and Travelling book are similar, they start as a line of light that appears to rotate and widen.

The TAR gateway is described in tFoH, when Rand exits TAR and the POV is from Nyneave. She describes the hallway beyond Rand as it "turned in some way". No visible border, only a "turning" effect.

I'm sorry, all three are second hand accounts in colloquial language. I don't buy it, not when the actual texts stand against it. Moridin's description of the TP gateway is clear.

So RJ's no longer a credible source? Well crap, how are we ever going to answer anything ever again?

What's the alternative? That he was using an Illusion? That makes perfect sense. Ishamael just happened to be wandering through Lews Therin's palace as Lews is slaughtering his family with the one power. None of this effects Ishy at all because he has his magic Illusion that keeps him invisible as he moves. He comes into the living room and finds all sorts of dead people, including Ilnya, and Lews staring into the mirror. At this point he loses the the Illusion and all of a sudden his memory is wiped clean. Having lost his memory of what took place in the palace only minutes before hand, and his memory of seeing all the dead bodies, he stares at the dead bodies anew and especially at Ilyna, and then glances up at Lews and thinks he must be insane.

That makes sense. Much more sense then him traveling into the room, using the True Power (which we know he uses, and has been for a very long time at this point due to the effects it has on him), and then seeing the aftermath and having the reaction of a man who only now sees it, and then later asking Lews if the Taint already has him so far in it's grip. Because if he'd witnessed all the carnage while walking around with his invisiblity shield on, I'm sure he wouldn't know.

But yes, three souly different sources, all referencing what RJ himself said at different panels and interviews, all agreeing on the exact same points, all taken from completely different years, all matching Ishy's current state at the time and the reality of the books, must be wrong because they're not written thusly:

KuraFire: Exactly what his happening in EotW's prologue when Ishamael "shimmers" into the room with Lews Therin?

Robert Jordan: Well, Ishamael is using the True Power, because he's addicted to it, and travels into the room. The shimmering is what happens when the Pattern screams as he steps out.

I'm sure a quote like that would have made it even more accurate, due to the fact that all three quotes are obviously lying about the exact same information in the exact same way.

But then again, everyone's allowed to substitute whatever reality they wish.

I remember reading more than one quote from RJ about that being how traveling looked when using the true power. I thought this was commonly known. Can't find the quote right now but will look some more.

Do you mean a ripple when it is initiated, or the ripple Rand saw when Rand fastened the thing on Egwene and she moved?

Cause the last in my opinion was a result of Rand doing it the first time, and furthermore not putting it on himself, or his surroundings, but a person moving in regards to himself. I don't believe we've seen anyone disappear, only it has been so, as with Moiraine at the seven towers at Malkier.

The ripple forms in movement because of the distortions in the lightwaves hitting it as they are ebing bent around the person. If they are still, the bend is exaxt, and it just flows around them, when they are moving it is constantly adjusting, and so the bending is not exact causing the blurring and rippling--which would also occur when they are first bending the light around themselves, even if they are standing still. And no, it's not just when Rand did it, Elayne speaks of it, and later Anaiya and Janya.

Furthermore, Lanfear most certainly did the same thing in the Dragon Reborn when Egwene went after 'Else, the messenger from the Amyrlin Seat.' Furthermore, it is very difficult to understand how, without such an ability, for instance Graendal could have done her share of pillaging in Sammael's chambers with Rand and the Asha'man constantly going in and out the door.

Firstly, once created Folded Light is perfect so long as the person does not move--if they move the rippling blur forms, which is why Moridin uses fancloth. So neither reality speaks against the fact that Lanfear shouldn't have been able to simply disapear.

Secondly, and more as an aside than anything, there are problems with Lanfear having Folded Light to evade Egwene. In order for her to have folded light she would have had to have channeled, and even reversed Egwene would have felt the sensation of active channeling. Now, it is possible that Egwene missed it--we've seen channelers miss things like that before--though you wouldn't think Egwene would when she was so put off by the woman--so wary about her. But meh, its possible--though probably not enough for 'most certainly'.

Now as to why it hasn't been seen on screen more, well the Forsaken are aware of what is possible and do not need to think about it, anyone who does so is invisible to other pov characters, and this is of course something that does not work with a lot of people around, so you need to avoid being seen opening doors or need to fear people bumping into you etc. However, Asmodean states in the Fires of Heaven that he used this to get past the Maidens guarding Rand's door, mentioned the difficulty. If he was able to mask opening the door, that is when near giving the illusion the door remained closed while he went through, no ripples would have been possible since the Maidens would have seen it.

No, it ripples with movement--thats a stated fact. That's not to say it can't be effective--Rand uses it to get past Cadsuane after the attack and she doesn't see the rippling--but it does stop it from being the cause of how Lanfear disapeared in tGH.

My understanding of this was that Rand attached the invisibility ward to Egwene at first and when she moved it rippled, then when Rand saw this LTT told Rand how to avoid this by attaching the weave to something stationary, so Rand then attached the weave to the floor of his chambers.  I think it only ripples if the weave itself moves.

Indeed, all true--but the rippling occurs because of the distortions in the light bending around the person--it must be that, or else the rippling would continue when the person is stationary. As such the rippling would also occur when a person was bending the lightwaves in the first place.

So RJ's no longer a credible source? Well crap, how are we ever going to answer anything ever again?

RJ's a perfectly credible source. Those quotes are not.

But yes, three souly different sources, all referencing what RJ himself said at different panels and interviews, all agreeing on the exact same points, all taken from completely different years, all matching Ishy's current state at the time and the reality of the books, must be wrong because they're not written thusly:

KuraFire: Exactly what his happening in EotW's prologue when Ishamael "shimmers" into the room with Lews Therin?

Robert Jordan: Well, Ishamael is using the True Power, because he's addicted to it, and travels into the room. The shimmering is what happens when the Pattern screams as he steps out.

I'm sure a quote like that would have made it even more accurate, due to the fact that all three quotes are obviously lying about the exact same information in the exact same way.

It does, yes. But even if it weren't written thus, i'd have settled for reference to the actual reality of travelling with the True Power--they do not. They directly contradict the way that form of travelling is depicted in the books. There is no stepping through, no tear--Ishamael ripples into existence.

So, yes, they are colloquial sources that directly contradict what occurs in the books, and i thus don't give them weight. Find me one that does--or one that speaks as your made up one there does, with references to why the shimmering accounts for a doorway, or stepping through, and I'll fall in line.

What's the alternative? That he was using an Illusion?

I don't know. Like you i find it incredibly unlikely he was hiding himself--indeed, his shock at the state of Lews Therin pretty much proves he was not, since its unlikely he would pretend that with a mad man.

So yes, its a good question. I'd probably say that it comes down to the simple fact that RJ had not, as yet, worked out the power properly. Certainly its not the only time--for instance, why did Siuan fear the Black Ajah using Callandor, when they couldn't? Why did Moiraine drop fire and earth out from under Aginor's feet when she is weak in it--and how? Where did the earth go? Why did it hold him, or limit his channeling? Why didn't he slice her weave, or shield her? What of Verin, warning Rand the damane could feel his channeling. What of Nynaeve sensing Aginor's channeling--as something distant and alien, but still sense it. How did Moiraine create a face trail, with hoofprints and scents and broken twigs? How was Moiraine able to step over the closed gate of Baerlon when her height was merely an illusion? How did Siuan shield Nynaeve when at that stage Nynaeve was as strong as she?

Travelling with the True Power seems directly spoken against though. Descriptions do not match, and Rand, LTT and Lanfear all display a similar ability to one degree or another. So yes, i think things simply changed.

ok, so here's the quote, the full quote we're having such a difficult time with

Behind him the air rippled, shimmered, solidified into a man who looked around, his mouth twisting briefly with distaste.

Then there's this other quote, same chapter, where Ishamael travels to the island later known as Tar Valon

On the island, the air shimmered and coalesced. The black-clad man stood staring at the fiery mountain rising out of the plain.

Now, both quotes use the word "shimmered." But if Ishamael walked from Lews's house to that island in the seconds in took Lews to kill himself, I'm Rand's long lost brother. I think the important part of these quotes is the "solidified" and "coalesced" parts. As far as I can recall, Illusion doesn't solidify into the person wearing it. Those words have much more to do with appearing after traveling in some special way, like with the True Power.

Now your basic problem seems to be this quote from Path of Daggers

Ripping a hole in the fabric of the Pattern, he Traveled with the True Power.

Which I don't see as disproving anything. All that quote implies is that he's ripping into the Pattern. It doesn't show us what that would look like. EoTW's Prologue, however, does. And it looks like the quotes above.

The books seem to support this, encycolpedia-wot says it's traveling using the True Power, and the three quotes agree that it's traveling using the true power. So unless this is a vast consperiacy and Tom Doherty, Robert Jordan, the three people who made those quotes, and the internet are all in on it, I see no reason, whatsoever, to believe Ishamael was not traveling with the True Power.

Now, both quotes use the word "shimmered." But if Ishamael walked from Lews's house to that island in the seconds in took Lews to kill himself, I'm Rand's long lost brother. I think the important part of these quotes is the "solidified" and "coalesced" parts. As far as I can recall, Illusion doesn't solidify into the person wearing it. Those words have much more to do with appearing after traveling in some special way, like with the True Power.

Firstly, it is not Illusion, but Folded Light, that you would be speaking of. I too have problems believing it would be Folded Light--though there is a coalescence of a sort in the way it ripples. Neverthless i sustain all of your comments about the wording--they do have more to do with appearing after traveling--but not with the True Power.

Now your basic problem seems to be this quote from Path of Daggers

Ripping a hole in the fabric of the Pattern, he Traveled with the True Power.

Which I don't see as disproving anything. All that quote implies is that he's ripping into the Pattern. It doesn't show us what that would look like. EoTW's Prologue, however, does. And it looks like the quotes above.

Actually, its the quote in aCoS.

To his ears the world screamed as he used the True Power to rip a small hole and step outside the Pattern.

[aCoS - Patterns Within Patterns - 395]

Which quite clearly does speak problems to this. He rips a hole and steps through--no coalescence, no solidifying.

The books seem to support this, encycolpedia-wot says it's traveling using the True Power, and the three quotes agree that it's traveling using the true power. So unless this is a vast consperiacy and Tom Doherty, Robert Jordan, the three people who made those quotes, and the internet are all in on it, I see no reason, whatsoever, to believe Ishamael was not traveling with the True Power.

Conspiracy implies they were working together--and i don't much see why they would. Of course, people do surprise you sometimes, but until we have evidence of that i think it better to call it instead a misunderstanding, and three misrepresentations.

And since RJ wrote the above comment into the books, i doubt he fell to it. Possible, but unlikely.

Just weaving Folded Light and attaching the weave to a fixed object such a floor isn't going to cause distortion effects.  The fold is perfect in this case, because what it's attached to isn't moving.

Lanfear could have easily channeled an inverted Folded Light weave attached to the floor using a minute amount of the power (there's ALWAYS the Power being used in the Tower, it's easily hidden) and then released it as soon as she was out of the way well enough otherwise.

*shrugs*  What's the exact quote about Lanfear's disappearing act, anyway?  Are you sure she didn't just disappear around a corner and then "wasn't there" when Egwene rounded it?  Because then Lanfear could easily be hiding behind Folded Light..

Just weaving Folded Light and attaching the weave to a fixed object such a floor isn't going to cause distortion effects.  The fold is perfect in this case, because what it's attached to isn't moving.

I'm sorry, but the very function of folding light involves an initial bending. Once set the flow is smooth, but till then it will cause a bending.

Lanfear could have easily channeled an inverted Folded Light weave attached to the floor using a minute amount of the power (there's ALWAYS the Power being used in the Tower, it's easily hidden) and then released it as soon as she was out of the way well enough otherwise.

Firstly, Lanfear could not have channeled and inverted Folded Light. To do so means she would have created the web beforehand and been carrying it with her, in which case she would have had a giant ripple floating along beside her. She could have reversed a weave of Folded Light, but tha woudl have caused and active sense of channeling--and your point about constant channeling in the Tower is no point against it--Egwene stood too close to be confused. She should have sensed the channeling had such occured.

*shrugs*  What's the exact quote about Lanfear's disappearing act, anyway?  Are you sure she didn't just disappear around a corner and then "wasn't there" when Egwene rounded it?  Because then Lanfear could easily be hiding behind Folded Light..

The exact quote is that Egwene turned and walked a few steps, and as such wasn't facing her. As such she should have detected the channeling.

Furthermore the initial reason for this thread is Lanfear's disapearence in tGH... her disapearence with Egwene could be explained by Folded Light--it seems unlikely, but its possible--we've seen channelers miss the like before. What Min witnessed, however, cannot be argued.

Archived