DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is this the end of HD-DVD?

SinisterDeath

A lot of 360 games do that, I believe Halo 3, is 720p Native, but upscales to 1080p. I would say, most games use 720p as there Natives, specially the 'early' games for the consoles generation...

I think, games that came out with in the last say, 9 months, are making 1080p there actual Native display.

Most PS3 games do that too.  ;)  You are right though that we are just transitioning up to the 1080p format being truely native.  I would say that in about a year, 75-80% of games will be 1080p native.

1080i and 720p are very nearly the same signal.  If the game actually running at 60fps, 720p will give you the full frame rate.  1080i gives you a few more pixels but alternates the frames every 1/30th of a second.  Not terribly noticable unless you put two monitors side by side, or play for a few hours, and wait for eye fatigue.

[/geek]

• Community Administrator

Don't know about you, but Even though 1080p is better then 720p, I like alot of my games, displayed in 720p. (specially if I'm upscaling ps2 games, or DVDs).

This is particularilly true to 'text heavy' video games..

I don't know why, but some developers don't get the concept, that just because its 1080p, you don't keep the same 7pixel tall text. You need to increase it. ;)

but then, I have a 19" HDTV. (widescreen of course, if it were a 'square' screen, it would be alot 'taller' but who takes that into consideration on widescreen tvs?!)

I can certainly understand text designed to be readable at 480i being difficult to read at 1080p on the same screen. I hadn't thought about it.

As for interlacing, I have the unfortunate tendency to notice from time to time while watching TV (not quite -every- day, but close to it), and once I notice it, it's hard to stop noticing. I'm really glad my DVD player and TV support progressive scan over the component cables.

I see hairbrush artifacts.  I see them everywhere.

SD, I have trouble hearing dialogue from time to time, so I play with subtitles on when I have the option.  Most of the time 1080 subtitles are freakishly small, even on a 42" screen, I just pegged the global settings at 720 and left it at that. 

• Community Administrator

I see hairbrush artifacts.  I see them everywhere.

SD, I have trouble hearing dialogue from time to time, so I play with subtitles on when I have the option.  Most of the time 1080 subtitles are freakishly small, even on a 42" screen, I just pegged the global settings at 720 and left it at that.   

So I'm not the only one!

I don't know about you, but having to 'squint' while reading subtitles is a pain...

I was trying for instance, to watch some subbed anime on my HDTV (via pc & ps3) and the subtitles on the 19" are a pain to read... + unlike a pc, its harder to pause/rewind. ;) )

Archived