DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel, DO, TG, and the Bore.

slayerA

Mmmm I think we have confirmation of more than that, consider Birgittes memories, back in T'A'R, its 4am and I'm taking a break from writing an obscenly long essay style thing with just 600 words to go, so theres no quote on hand I'm afraid.

It might just as well be the Wheel using him and his über-ta'veren (somehow working together with Mat and Perrin) as a conduit, and all Rand has to do is standing there surviving long enough. That is in my eyes a way more likely scenario than Rand dueling the DO.

While I agree that Rand is unlikely to duel the DO, I still don't know that allowing the wheel to work through the 3 taveren is enough to "kill" the DO.  THe wheel/pattern/et al are creations of the creator, and as such are not as powerful as 'he' is.  If you assume, which I do not, that the DO is equal to the creator then the Rand is not a God, so he can't defeat the DOargument does not work, because the wheel is also not a God.  Now if you look at the DO as a lesser being to the creator, then it works, but as a correlary(sp?) so does the possibility of Rand being effective against the DO on his own...

The next question would beg to ask what Rand's 'blood' for then?

"his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, washing away the Shadow, sacrifice for man's salvation."

My favorite interpretation is

He will come from the west, beyond the Spine of the World, but be of our blood.
* "Blood of our blood mixed with the old blood, raised by an ancient blood not ours."
...Of the blood, but not raised by the blood...
* "He shall spill out the blood of those who call themselves Aiel as water on sand, and he shall break them as dried twigs, yet the remnant of a remnant shall he save, and they shall live."

The Aiel are the blood of the dragon, and I think that he's going to pour out their blood like water on the rocks of Shayol Ghul.

I like the interpretation except for one thing.

One does not pour water on sand.  In the Waste, water is far too precious to be, well, wasted. 

Killing the DO ...

Killing the DO is your words, not mine.

I would have to disagree that the passage is referring to the Aiel.  The Aiel are the "Poeple of the Dragon" not the "Blood of the Dragon".

Did you not read the 5 or so quotations from aiel prophecy that I quoted that equated the Aiel with Rand's blood?  Even the wise ones go around saying things like, "we will make him see his blood for his own..."  You don't have to agree, but the Aiel are just as surely Rand's blood as they are his people.

ou can't end time. This may be a fantasy world, but that does not mean you can toss the laws of physics out the window.

We are talking about our universe, and thus our laws of physics. Incidently, physics being a subject RJ was quite familiar with...

Yeah, I quess channeling is just a case of people with a recessive genetic trait being able to use neural impulses to effect wave particles in such a fashion as to cause spontaneous allignment of molecules, or to instigate rapid oxidation...I think I read RJ saying somthing like this during one of the Question's of the week... ::)

Yes, I did read what you had to say concering the Wise Ones and Rand and I completely disagree with it.  Another thing the Aiel are fond of pointing out is how the Prophesies of the Dragon, where the quote about his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul comes from, is a Wetlander prophesy and is no interest to them.

Yes, I did read what you had to say concering the Wise Ones and Rand and I completely disagree with it.  Another thing the Aiel are fond of pointing out is how the Prophesies of the Dragon, where the quote about his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul comes from, is a Wetlander prophesy and is no interest to them.

What interests the Aiel has no bearing on the veracity of the prophecy,  There is no doubt that the prophecies of the dragon will come true.  That's why they are called prophecies instead of the "Things We Think Might Happen of the Dragon."  One common theme of prophecy in these books is that it seldom happens as everyone thinks it will.  All of Randland interprets the "blood on the rocks," as a prediction of Rand's death.  All of the quotes that I provided were from Aiel prophecy, and everyone of them connects Rand to the blood of the Aiel.  I'm not saying that you have to agree, but the possible connection between the prophecies is there and is clearly laid out.

The next question would beg to ask what Rand's 'blood' for then?

"his blood on the rocks of Shayol Ghul, washing away the Shadow, sacrifice for man's salvation."

My favorite interpretation is

He will come from the west, beyond the Spine of the World, but be of our blood.
* "Blood of our blood mixed with the old blood, raised by an ancient blood not ours."
...Of the blood, but not raised by the blood...
* "He shall spill out the blood of those who call themselves Aiel as water on sand, and he shall break them as dried twigs, yet the remnant of a remnant shall he save, and they shall live."

The Aiel are the blood of the dragon, and I think that he's going to pour out their blood like water on the rocks of Shayol Ghul.

Considering that Rand is supposed to destroy the Aiel, so only a remnant of a remnant will be saved, I consider this theory more than plausible.

All the Aiel are going to die, except the Shadio under Therava. The Shaido (god I wish RJ had picked a better name for them, its so cheezy that the 'bad' Aiel are clan who's name sounds curiously like "shadow") are the Aiel who didn't follow Rand - making them a remanent - and those who are left alive and fleeing with Therava are the remanent of the Shaido. It'll be a good laugh in the face of prophecy if that's how it works out.

All the Aiel are going to die, except the Shadio under Therava. The Shaido (god I wish RJ had picked a better name for them, its so cheezy that the 'bad' Aiel are clan who's name sounds curiously like "shadow") are the Aiel who didn't follow Rand - making them a remanent - and those who are left alive and fleeing with Therava are the remanent of the Shaido. It'll be a good laugh in the face of prophecy if that's how it works out.

Don't forget the group of Aiel still at Rhuidean. I think Therava's group might still have roll to play, they have a long way to go to back the Waste. And they have few armies to get through.

Archived