DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moraine's Abilitys

Darth_Andrea

Is it just me or dose Moraine's abilitys get alot stronger between Eye Of Thw World and The Fires Of Heaven? In the first book she seems quite weak always complaining about what she can't do. Yet by book 5 she seems alot stronger I mean she can do BaleFire. And though in the first book she comments that few sisters can do much in the way of healing yet later we find an entire Ajah revolving around the ability. Are these just editoral mistakes or is there more behind it that I'm just not getting? Perhaps I'm Just being dense but it dose seem quite the contradiction.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]

Any channeler can weave balefire. The degree of its effect is influenced by strength, but the actual weave itself can be done by anyone.

As for healing the only comment i remember Moiraine making is that in the Age of Legends Aes Seai coul bring people back from the very edge of death, whereas modern Aes Sedai needed their patients strength in order to heal... a reality that the Yellow Ajah were included in--until Nynaeve's discovery. It's a simple fact of the method of healing used.

That being said, Moiraine does increase in strength and knowledge in the time we know her--as indeed she observes herself.

• 1 month later...

Any channeler can weave balefire. The degree of its effect is influenced by strength, but the actual weave itself can be done by anyone.

not true. if u aren't strong enough even if u make the weave it wont produce balefire. when sorilea taught traveling to caudsuane she did the weave but it had no effect. and it wasn't because she didn't know the room because when one of the seafolk did it for the first time w/ out knowing a place a gate way appeared and then fuzzed out. and i think that everyone gets stronger in the one power until they reach their true potential.

not true. if u aren't strong enough even if u make the weave it wont produce balefire. when sorilea taught traveling to caudsuane she did the weave but it had no effect. and it wasn't because she didn't know the room because when one of the seafolk did it for the first time w/ out knowing a place a gate way appeared and then fuzzed out. and i think that everyone gets stronger in the one power until they reach their true potential.

Which is travelling, and not balefire. Travelling requires strength for its function.

I had occasionally wondered if Moiraine had found a ter'angreal that we weren't told of, that enabled her to channel more strongly. I had wondered whether, although she would never admit it, she was jealous or felt threatened by Egwene and Nynaeve's immense strength, and had secreted an angreal away so as to remain stronger than them.

In retrospect though, i dont think this is the case.

I thought it was more to do with the amount of channeling in the first book in that short period of time that wore her down. I mean she did fight trollocks (sp?) in the dead of night, stayed up all night healing people(or atlest trying to get people to let her heal them), then set off with the Two Rivers gang at a sprint, paused along the way to heal the gang and thier horses and then did the fog thing while on horse back. That's a lot of channeling for less than a days time not to mention the riding.

Early on, she was using only her natural abilities, but as the story progressed she came to rely on her angreal with much more frequency. Also, I think she was pushing herself harder, taking her ability right to the edge of burning herself out.

She admitted to Perrin in TDR that she was much more dangerous than when they left Emond's Field. In TGH she was studying with Vandene and Adelius (maybe learning balefire then) so obviously her talents will expand and grow with more study just like any perveyor of magic.

i  dont think it was her actual  "strength" in the power that  increased  her and  siuan  were  2  of the  stronger  sisters  at the time anyway,  but i  do think she picked up some better weaves  since teotw from where i  dont know  maybe  it was vandene  and  adeleas  or maybe she has always  known them but her morales  prevented her from using them she certainly  became  more aggressive  with the power.  in alot of ways  Moiraine  is still a mystery we know  how she started out from new spring  but  theres a huge gap  in  her story from after  new spring  to  Teotw in alot of ways she reminds me of cadsuane.

Which is travelling, and not balefire. Travelling requires strength for its function.

true but when nynaveve and elayne were in tanchico one of the black ajah had to use the balefire rod probably cuz she wasn't strong enough and she almost passed out afterward. i might be wrong but i think you have to be a certain strength to do some weaves.

She used the rod because she didn't know the weaves, and she passed out because the rod is highly unstable. And in TSR Egwene worries about Jeaine Caide as one of the stronger ones in the group, listing her with Liandrin, Chesmal Emry and Rianna, which places them all up near Moiraine.

She used the rod because she didn't know the weaves, and she passed out because the rod is highly unstable. And in TSR Egwene worries about Jeaine Caide as one of the stronger ones in the group, listing her with Liandrin, Chesmal Emry and Rianna, which places them all up near Moiraine.

As I understand things, in the tower Cadsuane, Suian, Moraine, and Elida were considered the strongest of the sisters and in the order of strength as I listed them. so wouldn't that make the blacks that went with Liandrin considerably weaker than even Moraine?

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]        starwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

Just a thought on the Black Ajah that went with Liandrin. If you consider the ter'angreal that they brought with them, AND if they knew the uses to each, the knowledge plus thier regular abilities might make them more powerful.  Just becuase Verin didn't know what the ter'angreal did, doesn't mean the Black Ajah didn't know either.

As I understand things, in the tower Cadsuane, Suian, Moraine, and Elida were considered the strongest of the sisters and in the order of strength as I listed them. so wouldn't that make the blacks that went with Liandrin considerably weaker than even Moraine?

It's true that Elaida, Moiraine and Suian were at the top of the range of Aes Sedai strengths (as are Lelaine and Romanda) and Cadsuane is stronger than they, but that doesn't mean Liandrin and the rest arn't strong--and we know that Liandrin at least was given the lack of any deference to either Moiraine or Anaiya, who was only a step below Moiraine.

Given that Egwene lists Jeaine with Liandrin--and Chesmal Emry, who we also know to be near the top of the hierarchy--its safe to say that she's up there.

Archived