DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nobody's perfect, Even RJ has some mistakes.

KtpSkiFree

One mistake that has always bothered me, and I have never seen it mentioned.  In CoT, when Egwene goes to Elayne in Tel'aran'rhoid to tell her to meet her in Salidar.  Aviendha shows up instead.  She tells Egwene that she is there because Elayne couldn't make the ring work.  Something along the lines of "The flows kept slipping away from her, because of her pregnancy."  Huh??  It specifically says it is a twisted ring ter'angreal--so even if it is one of Elayne's copies, it might make her appear "misty" but it still would not require channeling to use it.  Remember, Suian could use the ring--or the copies--even while she was stilled.  So this is more than a typo, or an editing mistake.

One mistake that has always bothered me, and I have never seen it mentioned.  In CoT, when Egwene goes to Elayne in Tel'aran'rhoid to tell her to meet her in Salidar.  Aviendha shows up instead.  She tells Egwene that she is there because Elayne couldn't make the ring work.  Something along the lines of "The flows kept slipping away from her, because of her pregnancy."  Huh??  It specifically says it is a twisted ring ter'angreal--so even if it is one of Elayne's copies, it might make her appear "misty" but it still would not require channeling to use it.  Remember, Suian could use the ring--or the copies--even while she was stilled.  So this is more than a typo, or an editing mistake.

The flows could still slip away from her without active channeling?

It's a ter'angreal after all. It uses the power.. and in this particular case the Dream-ring has more then one Soul 'wearing' it; Elayne and her future offspring. The flows keep slipping away from her to the Soul in her belly maybe?

Personally, I think it's brilliant that RJ realised the ring should have trouble working with multiple Souls involved. The real mistake would be Elayne using it without problems IMO, regardless if it could have been worded better to explain the situation.

Ah well :)

One thing I've always wondered is how anyone knows the name of the DO.

Seriously, if it's bad luck to name the DO, how is it that anyone knows the name to say it? Yet, everyone seems to know what it is.

It's one thing that's bugged me from the beginning.

With regards to the ring error, I both agree and disagree. The wording is wrong as there is no channeling involved, but the essence of the sentence could be right, due to the whole soul thing. :)

So more of a typo/editing error in my book, than a big slip by RJ.

Quote:

Seriously, if it's bad luck to name the DO, how is it that anyone knows the name to say it? Yet, everyone seems to know what it is.

Bad luck yes, deadly not neccesarily. You say his name and your barn burns down or crops fail, you don't trip and break your neck.

With regards to the ring error, I both agree and disagree. The wording is wrong as there is no channeling involved, but the essence of the sentence could be right, due to the whole soul thing.

There may be no channeling from the wearer, but the Ter'angreal may use the Power to work. Hence "the flows are slipping". Or if that's not the case, then maybe the women have the idea of "flows forming" for the ring to work. Anyway, even if it would be a mistake, it's certainly a minor one... considering the immensity of WoT...

Archived