DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

21 Questions Movie Game Round 7 (Emperor)

Emperor

Project X* -- Matthew Broderick teaches chimps to fly through nuclear blasts... Comedy?!?

Yeah the question was whether or not IMDb listed comedy as one of the primary genres. Project X is listed as Comedy/Drama/Sci-Fi/Thriller.  Matthew Broderick + monkeys = funny.  Monkeys + Nuclear testing = Drama. Matthew Broderick + military = Sci-Fi. Military + Nuclear Testing = Thriller. So yeah, it's those 4 genres primarily.

P.S. I'm not counting out Owl Turds unless Emperor wants to clarify whether or not he understood Sinister Death's question to mean Capital "U" only or if he included lower cases "u"'s in his answer as well without costing us another question.  Since it only eliminates 3 films, IMO I'd rather play it safe, wouldn't you agree?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Q17: Is it on this list? Yes

Creepshow 2

Ernest Goes to Camp

Evil Dead II

In the Land of the Owl Turds

Ishtar

Leonard Part 6

Making Mr. Right

Monster Squad, The

Pick-up Artist, The

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol

Project X

Real Men

Remote Control

Rent-a-Cop

Running Out of Luck

Spaceballs

Walk Like a Man

Women's Club, The

PS: there are a lot of extra questions running around out there.  Did you want me to answer those as well?

• Community Administrator

Project X* -- Matthew Broderick teaches chimps to fly through nuclear blasts... Comedy?!?

Yeah the question was whether or not IMDb listed comedy as one of the primary genres. Project X is listed as Comedy/Drama/Sci-Fi/Thriller.  Matthew Broderick + monkeys = funny.  Monkeys + Nuclear testing = Drama. Matthew Broderick + military = Sci-Fi. Military + Nuclear Testing = Thriller. So yeah, it's those 4 genres primarily.

P.S. I'm not counting out Owl Turds unless Emperor wants to clarify whether or not he understood Sinister Death's question to mean Capital "U" only or if he included lower cases "u"'s in his answer as well without costing us another question.  Since it only eliminates 3 films, IMO I'd rather play it safe, wouldn't you agree?

by your same logic, in this and past games, we would have to have included all movies with the capital letter we asked, like in the last game, I asked about the letter i, you know how many were left out for a capital I? (this was directed at eclipse0 not emp)

Also, we can probably narrow that list down by looking to see which of those share actors, or directors, or even studio.

If it isn't Spaceballs, I'll be sorely disappointed.

"Merchandising!" "Spaceballs, the doll!" "May the Schwartz be with you." "Adorable."

"No, no, no. Light speed is too slow!" "Too slow??" "Yes. Prepare for... ludicrous speed!" ... "They've gone plaid..."

"The combination is 1-2-3-4-5? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!" "...change the combination on my luggage."

"Funny, she doesn't -look- Druish."

"I see your Schwartz is just as big as mine."

"Sir, it's the radar! It's been jammed!" "... Raspberry. Only one man would DARE to give me the raspberry... Lone Star."

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." (I had this set as my Critical Error sound in Windows for a long time. [Download!])

"It's Mega Maid! She's gone from suck... to blow!"

"Cooomb the desert!"

"It's the latest technology... Instavision! We can watch the movie WHILE it's being made!" "Amazing."

Ok, Empy...ignore the rest of those questions that you saw. They weren't for you. And neither is this one: Ok, are there any more that we can get rid of based on what we know from these answers?

Q2: Does this movie star Kevin Bacon? No

Q5: Was this movie originally released in the US? Yes

Q7: Was this film nominated for any Academy Awards and/or Golden Globe Awards? No

Q10: According to IMDb, did this movie gross more than $30 million in the US (subtotal)? No

Q14: Does the title of the film end in a vowel? (Y is included as a vowel in this case) No

Q15: Does it have the following An "A" and a "U" in the Title? (Ie, Does it have an "a", and a "U" in the title, not one or the other but both!) No

Creepshow 2 -- $17 million US subtotal

Ernest Goes to Camp -- $23.5 million gross

Evil Dead II -- $5.9 million gross

In the Land of the Owl Turds -- It's got an a and u (I'm going to assume Empy isn't being completely literal)

Ishtar -- $4.3 million US subtotal

Leonard Part 6 -- $4.9 million US subtotal

Making Mr. Right -- $1.6 million US subtotal

Monster Squad, The -- A & U

Pick-up Artist, The -- A & U

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol -- $28 million US subtotal

Project X -- $18.5 million US subtotal

Real Men -- $0.9 million US subtotal

Remote Control -- no box-office data

Rent-a-Cop -- $0.3 million US subtotal

Running Out of Luck -- no box-office data

Spaceballs -- $38 million US subtotal

Walk Like a Man  -- $0.5 million US subtotal

Women's Club, The -- no box office data

Ok, 14 movies left. We've got 7 movies that have grossed over $4 million in the US. That seems like a good way to cut our number in half. So....

Q18: According to IMDb, did this movie gross more than $4 million in the US (subtotal)?

Ok, that means...

Making Mr. Right -- $1.6 million US subtotal

Real Men -- $0.9 million US subtotal

Remote Control -- no box-office data

Rent-a-Cop -- $0.3 million US subtotal

Running Out of Luck -- no box-office data

Walk Like a Man -- $0.5 million US subtotal

Women's Club, The -- no box office data

Which leaves us with:

Q19: According to IMDb, did this movie gross more than $10 million in the US (subtotal)?

I believe that leaves us with

We have 2 questions left....

Any ideas on how we can narrow this down so Q21 isn't 50/50? I think we'll either have to ask a question that breaks the answer into either 1 or 2  (like more than 5mil would leave us with evil dead or ishtar & leonard. If he were to answer yes, we'd have our answer, if no, we'd have a 50/50... I can't think of anytype of way we can ask it with out getting that type of gamble.... If we were to ask if its on the list we will be wasting a question..

There isn't a way that we can assure ourselves that Q21 is not a 50/50 guess. Any question we ask as Q20 will have either a Yes or No answer, which means that these three movies have only two categories to fit in (yes, or no), and thus one of those categories will have to include 2 movies. 

Q20: As printed on the lists in this thread, does the movie title have more than one word?

hmmmm...we've either got a really awful Bill Cosby movie about him being some space-age superhero that does stupid stuff. This one is rather obscure nowadays, or...

A popular cult favorite that would be totally appropriate for Empy to choose based on it being October (ie, Halloween).

So, the question for anyone who isn't Empy is: Would Empy choose an obscure Bill Cosby comedy to that he might hope no one had seen nor heard of, or a rather popular comedy/horror that probably all of us have seen multiple times but is rather appropriate for it being Halloween month and all?

hmmmm...we've either got a really awful Bill Cosby movie about him being some space-age superhero that does stupid stuff. This one is rather obscure nowadays, or...

A popular cult favorite that would be totally appropriate for Empy to choose based on it being October (ie, Halloween).

So, the question for anyone who isn't Empy is: Would Empy choose an obscure Bill Cosby comedy to that he might hope no one had seen nor heard of, or a rather popular comedy/horror that probably all of us have seen multiple times but is rather appropriate for it being Halloween month and all?

Well its 50/50 either way. Evil Dead 2 + the halloween event alone puts us unto that suspicion. But mayhap he picked leonard just to make us think it was Evil Dead 2. :P

But it's so simple. All we have to do is divine from what we know of Empy: is he the sort of man who would choose the more obscure "Leonard" or the more popular Evil Dead? Now, a clever man would choose the obscure movie, because he would know that only a great fool would pick what was popular. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose Leonard, Part 6. But he must have known I was not a great fool, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose Evil Dead II.

:-\

But it's so simple. All we have to do is divine from what we know of Empy: is he the sort of man who would choose the more obscure "Leonard" or the more popular Evil Dead? Now, a clever man would choose the obscure movie, because he would know that only a great fool would pick what was popular. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose Leonard, Part 6. But he must have known I was not a great fool, he would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose Evil Dead II.

:-\

Gotta love the Princess Bride reference, especially since Princess Bride was in the running for a while in this thread.

I'm glad we went with the Evil Dead question that was my gut feeling too.

Q21: Is it Evil Dead II?

It is funny, because Paityr actually pointed it out a few pages ago when he made a reference to cheesy 80's movies (howard duck and Leonard Part 6).  I was sure Pait would then divine that this was a good option.  Now I am a big fan of Evil Dead but I did choose Leonard Part 6.  I mean come on... he rides an ostrich around and throws raw meat at vegetarians... which seems to be their weakness.  I kind of loved this movie as a kid.  Yveva is really excited about watching this now (by the way, she can confirm the answer because when I told her the movie a few days ago she was like... "what?" like any other normal human would be like).  Classic movie where Bill himself excepted the Razzie for Worse Movie.

Sorry guys :( 

Who is up next?

*glares at Caddy*

Damn straight it was! Well, that and you distracting me with the licking and the lovelies...

I was so gonna say Leonard...

*sigh*

I guess you just owe me, my cool whip covered friend!

;)

I'd take the next one, but I might wait until Tuesday to take one on. I'm on vacation for two weeks starting then and will have ample time to dedicate to a game.

Archived