DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No one here is a nerd....

Emperor

• Community Administrator

What exactly is the meaning of the -chan? and the onii-chan? (I've seen onii-chan used in about 30 different animes, by random people, that has nothing to do with a persons name at all).

it doesn't mention how to use them as insults or jokes exactly, but you can infer how to do so from it.

Negima, Mahou Sensei Negima in japan (magic teacher negima), is Ken Akamatsu's first work since Love Hina.

Akamatsu-dono had a contract dispute with Tokyo-pop after Love Hina and was taken up by Del Rey.

I'll give the ones they list:

-san: Most common honorific and is equivalent to Mr., Mrs., Miss., or Ms.. An all purpose honorific that can be used when respect is required.

-sama: Same as -san but confers great respect (so probably a really formal boss or your parents when in public)

-tono: equivalent to Lord or Lady

-dono: same as -san and -sama but confers the utmost highest respect

-kun: used primarily at the end of boys names. Is used to express familiarity or endearment. Also used by men amoung friends or when addressing someone younger or of lower station.

-chan: used to express endearment, usually towards girls. Also used for little boys, pets and lovers (my own note: typically only gay men call each other -chan in Japan, but it can be used in a way to call someone gay or insinuate it)

Bozu: An informal way to refer to a boy, similar to "kid" or "squirt".

Sempai: title suggests that the addressee is one's senior in a group or organization. Often used in school where underclassmen refer to upperclassmen. Same with in the work place with a new employee addressing an experienced empoyee.

Kohai: the opposite of Sempai. used towards underclassmen or newcomers to a work place. bascially means you believe the person is at a lower station then yourself.

Sensei: Literally meaning "one who has come before," this title is used for teachers, doctors, or masters of any profession or art.

(no honorific given): lack of an honorific means that the speaker has permission to address the person in a very intimate way. usually only family, spouses, or very close friends have this permission. Known as yobisute, it can be gratifying when someone who has earned such intimacy starts to use this suffix but can also be *VERY* insulting when its not earned.

You can also "misuse" honorifics.  Technically I shouldn't have called SD Sempai-sama.  If I had done it with a straight face, it would be taken one of two ways.  Either I was sarcastically saying something to the effect of "oh like you're so much better than me", or just hardcore brown nosing.  With the smirks its more like saying "ok boss" with an overtone of "I learned it from you". 

Maybe I'm remembering wrongly, but -kun is either used with youngsters(or someone significantly lower on the social scale) but if used by someone not intimate(ie GF, wife, GOOD friend, family etc) its highly condescending.

Also here's a weird little note.  Lets say I was a very well known artist who was acknowledged as the single greatest pottery maker, and master martial artist, and went fishing with you.  Lets also say you are a good ametur angler, and I'm a novice.    While you would be somewhat aloof, it would be VERY rude for you to address me as significantly higher than you, as we would be in your element.  Its kinda complicated, but really neat when you start figuring it out.  Very much like the seanchan or aiel with the social rules.

Also my glasses were inspired by Keitaro.

Archived