DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chainmaille Jewelry and Trinkets

Delirium

About 4 years ago, my better half said to me "You are going to think I am crazy, but I want to try making chainmaille."  He was right.  I thought he had gone mad.

For some context, he was diagnosed with a rare cancer 14 years ago.  He has had two rounds of cyto-reductive surgery and inter-peritoneal chemotherapy.  He almost died after both procedures.  Some of the older members probably remember helping through these dark times.

After the first surgery, I became addicted to building Lego sets as a form of therapy to cope with the stress and trauma.  He also took up Lego, but to a lesser extent.  When he was told his cancer was back 6 years after his initial treatment, Lego wasn't sufficient to take his mind off the upcoming surgery.  I understood his need to not think about what he was soon to go through.  Hence: chainmaille addiction commenced.

I got dragged into it after I bought him a Chainmaille advent calendar.  There were several weaves he couldn't wrap his head around and after several hours of failure, he tossed the offending kits in my direction and said "You try it!"  Strangely, the weaves he struggled with were the ones I found a breeze and vice-versa.  We were able to teach each other.  

He had his second surgery, I nursed him back to health and we were both back at work.  Things were going great.  Then I injured my back while working.  I went on the Work Cover merry go-round, waiting 6 months for treatment while being unable to move without assistance.  Chainmaille stopped me going insane.  I made about 4 or 5 pieces a day for friends, family, charity and for YouTubers that were keeping me entertained.

Here are some of the many pieces I have made.

IMG20230719234510.jpg

IMG20230719235828.jpg

IMG20230721114647.jpg

IMG20230721121137.jpg

IMG20230825211922.jpg

IMG20230906144804.jpg

IMG20230719223901.jpg

IMG20230719224318.jpg

They are just so absolutely beautiful!!

And thank you for sharing your story with us, Delirium *hugs*

Tell me, can you make the Aes Sedai symbol with those things?

Just off the top of my head, I could make a Mobius Ring in Ajah colours...

image.png.d5a9622f26f07adacec19356a025aa86.png

(Credit to Brigitte Chainmaille for this image)

I have also made some cute earrings which could be made in Ajah colours.

IMG20230825230438.thumb.jpg.285edfa417b4ae2e589597ec3e1b6daf.jpg

Apart from that, I could probably use a Japanese weave to make the Aes Sedai symbol with black and white/silver jump-rings inside a large outer ring?

Oh my goodness! These are fantastic! Are you still making these frequently? I own a shop and so when I see things like this I have many questions. :biggrin: Always looking for merchandise to try out! 

That is when I don't just keep all the things for myself! 😍

Thank you Delenn, keeping all the shiny things is always a risk! 

I have taken a bit of a break since Christmas as life has been rather hectic.  Hopefully everything gets back on the rails soon, then we will see.

OMW, Delirium *eye-boggling impressed* ... those are so so amazing!

4 hours ago, Delirium said:

Apart from that, I could probably use a Japanese weave to make the Aes Sedai symbol with black and white/silver jump-rings inside a large outer ring?

Would love to see those if you every try doing it!