DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Schrodingers Lanfer, or why Lanfer can be both dead and alive.

Scarloc99

Having re read the entire series now since Brandon's "big reveal" about Lanfer not being dead I have made the decision that, given it is not specified in the story, is not obvious to the reader and makes no sense in terms of the narrative that as far as I am concerned Brandon is wrong.  

The concept of the Death of the Author has always fascinated me when it comes to storytelling, it primarily focuses on the idea that whatever the Author's own meaning in writing what they write does not matter when it comes to the reader. It is how the reader interprets that work with the Author simply becoming a scriptor who puts words on a page. 

Now generally in Fantasy/Sci Fi etc the story is clear and there is non ambiguity, or the author purposely leaves questions unanswered either to return to at a later date, or to drive through and consideration about the story. Therefore it is hard to impart the "Death of the Author" concept to the writing because explanation and meaning are there in the story. Instead such conversations revolve around the wider meaning of the story, was LOTR an allegory for WW1 etc. 

With the Lanfer ending however I feel that Brandon really has no place in which to state one way or another exactly what happened. He has presented a series of events and, for him, the meaning of those events is that Lanfer lives. However given that it is not clear in the story. We don't see Lanfer alive at the end, we only see it from Perrins POV, then I would argue that even though he wrote it Brandons's thoughts as to what he meant when he wrote this are not entirely valid. He may have, in his head, intended to open the possibility that Lanfer is alive, but, it is entirely up to the reader to decide what they believe happened and, whatever they believe, is correct. There is enough evidence, maybe more so, to defend the Perrin killed Lanfer idea then the Lanfer tricked Perrin. 

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

Yup. The author or creator of content and the reader or consumer will never have identical understanding or interpretation of the material. 

This reminded me of this clip from Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School.

*Note: The video does include curse words you're not allowed to say on DM.*

Spoiler

• 7 months later...

As I re-read the series, I am even more convinced that "Lanfear lives" detracts from the story in significant ways without really adding anything of value.  Even knowing that it's supposed to be there, I haven't found anything that seems particularly interesting in that light.  It makes the ending less complete and no sequel will ever be made.  My biggest complaint is that it makes Perrin into a schmuck and I don't think that's justified.  

On 3/20/2024 at 10:44 PM, Samt said:

As I re-read the series, I am even more convinced that "Lanfear lives" detracts from the story in significant ways without really adding anything of value.  Even knowing that it's supposed to be there, I haven't found anything that seems particularly interesting in that light.  It makes the ending less complete and no sequel will ever be made.  My biggest complaint is that it makes Perrin into a schmuck and I don't think that's justified.  

It repairs an otherwise terrible ending for Lanfear. I feel like that has to count for "adding something".

57 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

It repairs an otherwise terrible ending for Lanfear. I feel like that has to count for "adding something".

I suppose that is a matter of opinion.  I always hated Lanfear (in the way that one does hate a villain, meaning I think she is a good villain).  I thought that her neck getting snapped was a perfect ending.  It subverts her belief that she is special and better than other people.  It's a sort of put your pants on one leg at a time like everybody else.  It proves that the shadow doesn't really protect its own and that the control she thought she had was an illusion.